Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

dns pricing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:13 PM

I noticed directv charged me $1.99 for each NY DNS feed now, it use to be $1.50 each for me (grandfathered) so did the price go up? or is this a mistake?

:confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:14 PM

Did you make any changes to your account, that could have changed your grandfathering state?

It is also possible that they removed the grandfathering pricing.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:21 PM

I noticed directv charged me $1.99 for each NY DNS feed now, it use to be $1.50 each for me (grandfathered) so did the price go up? or is this a mistake?

Out of curiosity, how are you able to get NY DNS feeds, being that you are in California?

I've contacted D* about DNS waivers every now and then, and I get denied each time.
Slimline, WB616 (2), SWM8 (2), OTA, MRV (U)
Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)
Master Bed: Kuro PDP-5020FD -> HR34-700
Master Bath: Sony KDL-26S3000 + PSP -> HR24-200
Daughter's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR20-700
Son's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR24-500
Kitchen: Sharp 20" -> H24-700
Guest: Sharp 20" -> H20-100
Patio: SunbriteTV 3220 -> H25-500
Living Room: Sony 42" XBR Plasma -> HR20-100

Diagram of Setup

#4 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:22 PM

yes, prices went up
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#5 OFFLINE   convem24

convem24

Icon

• Registered
  • 642 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:28 PM

Out of curiosity, how are you able to get NY DNS feeds, being that you are in California?

I've contacted D* about DNS waivers every now and then, and I get denied each time.

DBSNewbie celticpride probably has a grandfather clause to get the East Coast DNS. Typically customers before the 2000s got them because customers wanted network affiliates and Directv at that time did not have local channels. Now that Directv offers locals to 94% of standard def markets and 75% of HD markets it is much harder to get waivers. I know people that do but it is almost impossible with the FCC rules and the fact that that Dish Network can no longer give DNS feeds to their customers. It is very interesting to say the very least.
Current Setup
Premier with HD and DVR with NFLST, NFLST To Go, NHL CI, NBA League Pass and MLB EI.
2 HR21-700s (Current National release)
1 R15-500 (Current National release)
1 R22 with HD now!!!(Current National release)
Samsung LNT4071 (40 inch LCD)
Panasonic TH-50PZ80U
Samsung LN40C530F1
Directv customer since August 2006

#6 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:29 PM

He may live in an RV and travel the country and has requested the NY area DNS feeds.

#7 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:31 PM

He may live in an RV and travel the country and has requested the NY area DNS feeds.

RVs would have dual feed NY/LA but good point

#8 OFFLINE   blc

blc

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 01:11 PM

Yes, went up to $3 for each if you get both east and west, for a total of $12 if you get all four networks from NY and LA. They do apparently still give a little discount for both east and west--in this case $1 per network discount.

#9 OFFLINE   chdoud

chdoud

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:03 PM

Yes, went up to $3 for each if you get both east and west, for a total of $12 if you get all four networks from NY and LA. They do apparently still give a little discount for both east and west--in this case $1 per network discount.

Correct.... Mine went up this month to $12.00 for networks and a separate $1.99 for PBS

-------------------------------------
Genie HR44 --> Sony 46" KDL XBR4 (HDMI)
HR21-200 --> Westinghouse LTV 27w6 (HDMI)
Simline Dish
D* since 1996

#10 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:14 PM

I have been with directv since 1995,back then we didnt get locals networks out of los angeles so they let me pay for east coast network feeds. later when we did get the locals out of L.A. i was grandfathered into being able to get both east and west coast networks.

#11 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:24 PM

celticpride,

I may be incorrect, but I believe that grandfathering expires on the DTV transition day next February. You will likely lose your East Coast feeds at that time.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   blc

blc

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 07:15 PM

celticpride,

I may be incorrect, but I believe that grandfathering expires on the DTV transition day next February. You will likely lose your East Coast feeds at that time.

If I remember properly the sunset for "subparagraph (e) subscribers" is Dec. 31, 2009. I believe most grandfathered subscribers that live within a grade b signal and are grandfathered from before 2000 are "subparagraph (e) subscribers." I have noticed that Directv csrs of all levels seem to use the term "grandfathered" rather loosely for anyone that has had DNS for an extended period of time, so who knows just which subscribers will lose DNS if those same employees are in charge of shutting off "grandfathered" subscribers. Grandfathered subscribers seems to have a much narrower interpretation in the statutes and FCC rulings and regs.

I know that many have discussed the fact that the digital transition may cut off the SD NY and LA DNS in Feb. 2009 (and it very well may), but it looks like the FCC has provided the green light for Directv to downgrade those digital feeds if need be. I am not sure whether NY and LA have direct feeds to Directv (someone may know) but I would think because of their importance that they probably do. In which case the digital conversion may have little effect on those SD feeds as they would not be broadcast over the air to Directv for rebroadcast. Thus, theorectically, it could be argued that NY and LA feeds could continue as they are.

At any rate, I don't think Directv is going to be shutting down the 380's in Feb. 2009--especially with the new permission from the FCC to downconvert signals. I could be totally wrong though, a good reason to get HD DNS if you haven't and you can qualify for them--just in case those SD 380's do go dark and you really need them. Moreover, there are still a lot of subscribers with only SD equipment receiving DNS by waiver, grandfathered status, RV waiver, etc. That is not revenue Directv wants to give up. After all, the DNS revenue is pure gravy.

#13 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:03 PM

I only wish they ha let us keep the HD version of the channels since we pay for them anyway. I hope we can still keep them after feb. 2009, i guess i'll just have to wait and see.

#14 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:06 PM

I only wish they ha let us keep the HD version of the channels since we pay for them anyway. I hope we can still keep them after feb. 2009, i guess i'll just have to wait and see.

remember, the Feb 2009 deal is not HD, just digital

Protected By... spam firewall...And...