Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

625 Widescreen mode?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   poeppe

poeppe

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:06 AM

Is there any way to set the 625 into widescreen mode? I know the 501 had a picture size setting, but I can't find it on the 625.

I have a new widescreen TV and find it annoying to see black bars at both the top/bottom and sides when a show is broadcast in widescreen. The black bars on the sides are the same size as as they are during non-widescreen shows.

Thanks,
Denis

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   neilo

neilo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:50 AM

Is there any way to set the 625 into widescreen mode? I know the 501 had a picture size setting, but I can't find it on the 625.

I have a new widescreen TV and find it annoying to see black bars at both the top/bottom and sides when a show is broadcast in widescreen. The black bars on the sides are the same size as as they are during non-widescreen shows.

Thanks,
Denis

What is probably easiest to change things with your TV controls. Our widescreen TV has 4 modes - 4:3, Zoom, Just, and Full. For the widescreen shows that have bars all the way around in 4:3 mode, I use the Zoom mode. For some regular 4:3 modes I use the Just mode which stretches the picture out but has an algorithm to make things in the center look appropriate.

Neil

#3 OFFLINE   poeppe

poeppe

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for the reply Neil.

Yeah I have done that too but it makes people look fat when I forget to change it back. So I was hoping I could change some setting on the reciever so I wouldn't need to keep changing the settings on the TV.

Denis

#4 OFFLINE   fredinva

fredinva

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:26 PM

You have a new widescreen tv!!!!

Why not fill it with HD and an upgraded hd receiver???
fred

#5 OFFLINE   JCW2001

JCW2001

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:28 AM

Hi, I was wondering if there's a solution to this. We can't get HD in our house, according to Dish, so upgrading our reciever seems overkill. Any ideas? Thanks.

#6 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:55 AM

The HD receivers have a setting where you can select the TV type and aspect ratio for the type picture you want displayed from the receiver. This feature is not available on the SD receivers. The settings have to be done on the TV itself. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

Hi, I was wondering if there's a solution to this. We can't get HD in our house, according to Dish, so upgrading our reciever seems overkill. Any ideas? Thanks.

Edited by Ray C@DISH Network, 19 November 2011 - 07:56 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:47 PM

:confused::confused::confused: How is it that "Dish" says you can't get HD in your house? They may need to upgrade your dish, but even without an upgrade you should be able to get some of the channels in HD.

I find it ironic, here I sit with an SDTV and an HD DVR (had one since '04) in order to get the OTA tuner and you have an HDTV and an SD tuner.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#8 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:13 PM

The HD receivers have a setting where you can select the TV type and aspect ratio for the type picture you want displayed from the receiver. This feature is not available on the SD receivers.

On the standard definition 5xx receivers, what does menu, 6, 1, 2 accomplish?

The options are:

Aspect Ratio
[ ] 4x3 Standard
[x] 16x9 Cinematic

I currently have the option set to 16x9 since I have a wide-screen TV.

#9 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

The 501, 508, and 510 receivers provide this option, which gives the Letterbox effect on the picture from the receiver. These receivers are no longer available and are being replaced with the 512 receiver when the need arises. Thanks.

On the standard definition 5xx receivers, what does menu, 6, 1, 2 accomplish?

The options are:

Aspect Ratio
[ ] 4x3 Standard
[x] 16x9 Cinematic

I currently have the option set to 16x9 since I have a wide-screen TV.

#10 OFFLINE   SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:54 PM

[quote name='"Ray C@DISH Network"']The HD receivers have a setting where you can select the TV type and aspect ratio for the type picture you want displayed from the receiver. This feature is not available on the SD receivers. The settings have to be done on the TV itself. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

[quote name='""']

I change the settings on my 612 on a channel that has he black bard on the sides rather thn the top and bottom and after I change the settings there is not any difference. So changing the settings on the receiver will not do the trick.

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:57 PM

The 501, 508, and 510 receivers provide this option, which gives the Letterbox effect on the picture from the receiver. These receivers are no longer available and are being replaced with the 512 receiver when the need arises. Thanks.

So, the feature is just changing aspect ratio for SD DVR video buffer to be use a regular (proportional) Zoom on your wide screen TV.

#12 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:36 PM

The 501, 508, and 510 receivers provide this option, which gives the Letterbox effect on the picture from the receiver.

So I'm not wasting your time having you explain aspect ratios, I know what the difference is between Anamorphic, Letter, Pillar, Window-boxing and Zoom. I also know, based on the receiver's help screen:

SELECT THE RELATIVE SIZE OF YOUR TV SCREEN
Select "16x9 Cinematic" ONLY if you have a wide-screen or home theatre TV with this support.

Otherwise, select "4x3" for the standard TV size.

So I know that I should keep the option set to "16x9" due to the satellite receiver's final output to the widescreen TV. Here's how the satellite receiver is currently connected to the widescreen TV.
  SAT         AVR         TV
 .---.       .---.       .---.
 |   |       |   |       |   |
 | V |-------| V |-------| V |
 | A |-------| A |       |   |
 `---'       `---'       `---'
The above block diagram shows that the Satellite video is connected to the Home Theater receiver [AVR] using an S-Video cable. The AVR is set to pass the signal unmodified out through an HDMI cable. The HDMI cable is connected to one of the HDMI inputs on the widescreen TV. The satellite audio is fed by TOSLINK directly to the AVR.

Yet, when this option is toggled there doesn't appear to be any difference with the 16:9 screen. Awhile back the satellite receiver was directly connected to a 4:3 CRT. At that time, toggling this option also never seemed to make any difference. No matter whether the screen is 4:3 or 16:9, it's as if this option has no function.

At one time I thought it controlled the aspect ratio of only the satellite receiver's GUI system and not the channel video outputted to the TV screen. But, toggling it a few minutes ago doesn't change the satellite receiver's GUI width.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "Letterbox effect". I know that a channel can include black bars to preserve the film's original aspect ratio on a 4:3 screen. But, toggling the satellite receiver's Aspect Ratio option doesn't include or exclude the black bars. If the black bars are there, it's usually part of the original frame that's sent by the channel itself.

For example, I happen to have the satellite receiver set to Starz and they are currently showing what's coming up on Starz using a letterbox frame. This is with the satellite option set to 16:9. On another Starz channel a movie is being shown in full frame. Toggling this option to 4:3 doesn't introduce letterboxing to the frame.

Can you please give an example how this option is suppose to work?

#13 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

I guess my explanation that the option is broken or has no function will have to suffice.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...