Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

RSN question

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scott72

scott72

Icon

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:45 PM

I live in NE Iowa and am looking to get Brewer games. My choice package doesn't get me the RSN I need to get these games, but the Sports Pack does. I have the Sports Pack, but I'm worried that the games may be blacked out anyhow even though I'm in their viewing area? Tonight there are several pro games on the RSN's in the Sports Pack and it appears they're all unavailable. It keeps saying "channel not purchased". I know I have the Pack because I checked these channels earlier today and they came in. Is anyone else not able to get the RSN they need through their package, but able to get the games they want though the Sports Pack? What would be the point in having the Pack if all the events are unavailable?

Whoops, probably should of posted this in the programming section. Mods feel free to move. Thanks..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:48 PM

Go to the link below and put in your zip code. It will tell you what you local RSN/'s is. If the Brewers are not on your local RSN their games will be black out.

http://www.directv.c...assetId=3290001

#3 OFFLINE   scott72

scott72

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:59 PM

Go to the link below and put in your zip code. It will tell you what you local RSN/'s is. If the Brewers are not on your local RSN their games will be black out.

See thats what is confusing. The Brewer's RSN isn't in the list so how do I get their games? I can't get them through the EI package because I'm in the Brewer's market. So your telling me they're going to be blacked out both ways? I don't understand why that would be the case. Several guys from the Cedar Rapids area say they get the Brewers through the Sports Pack so I have no idea why I shouldn't.

#4 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:01 PM

If you really are in the Brewer's market than you should receive them on your local RSN. If you are not than you would need EI.

At this point I would say you need to call DIRECTV and ask.

#5 OFFLINE   Koz

Koz

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:01 PM

I've heard Iowa is a weird place to be for MLB. Something like 6 teams claim it as their home area. Best of luck sorting this one out.
HR20-700 HR21-700 R15-500

#6 OFFLINE   scott72

scott72

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:06 PM

I've heard Iowa is a weird place to be for MLB. Something like 6 teams claim it as their home area. Best of luck sorting this one out.

Yep thats true. If I go to MLB.com and type my zip in, there are around 6 teams that claim us. So if that's the case I should be able to get all 6 of these team's games on the Pack correct since I can't get them on the EI package? Basically you should be able to get them either way whether its through the Pack or the EI package correct?

#7 OFFLINE   richall01

richall01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:13 PM

All out of market pro sport games are blacked out and are not part of the Sports Pack.

#8 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:16 PM

Yep thats true. If I go to MLB.com and type my zip in, there are around 6 teams that claim us. So if that's the case I should be able to get all 6 of these team's games on the Pack correct since I can't get them on the EI package? Basically you should be able to get them either way whether its through the Pack or the EI package correct?

I'm in the Des Moines metro and I get the Brewers on channel 641, all I need is the sports pack.

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#9 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:18 PM

Don't ask me how FSN South shows up:

With any DIRECTV base package (CHOICE or above):

Comcast SportsNet (Chicago) (Ch. 640) - HD Available
Chicago Bulls (HD Available)

Chicago Cubs (HD Available)

Chicago Fire

Chicago White Sox (HD Available)

With the Premier package or any DIRECTV base package plus SPORTS Pack, you also get:
FSN South (Ch. 630)
Memphis Grizzlies (HD Available)

Nashville Predators (HD Available)

FSN North (Ch. 641)
Milwaukee Brewers (HD Available)

Minnesota Lynx

Minnesota Timberwolves (HD Available)

Minnesota Wild (HD Available)

FSN Midwest (Ch. 647)
St. Louis Blues (HD Available)

St. Louis Cardinals (HD Available)

DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

#10 OFFLINE   scott72

scott72

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:41 PM

I'm in the Des Moines metro and I get the Brewers on channel 641, all I need is the sports pack.

641 is FSN North in my guide which should get you Minnesota sports. That's strange. I have FSN Wisconsin on 642 where the Brewers should be. Right now there's a Bucks game on and it's telling me "channel not purchased".

#11 OFFLINE   scott72

scott72

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:44 PM

Don't ask me how FSN South shows up:

With any DIRECTV base package (CHOICE or above):

Comcast SportsNet (Chicago) (Ch. 640) - HD Available
Chicago Bulls (HD Available)

Chicago Cubs (HD Available)

Chicago Fire

Chicago White Sox (HD Available)

With the Premier package or any DIRECTV base package plus SPORTS Pack, you also get:
FSN South (Ch. 630)
Memphis Grizzlies (HD Available)

Nashville Predators (HD Available)

FSN North (Ch. 641)
Milwaukee Brewers (HD Available)

Minnesota Lynx

Minnesota Timberwolves (HD Available)

Minnesota Wild (HD Available)

FSN Midwest (Ch. 647)
St. Louis Blues (HD Available)

St. Louis Cardinals (HD Available)

LMAO that's even more strange. I'm literally 1 lousy mile away from the Wisconsin border and when I type my zip in it says with the Sports Pack I get all the Minnesota sports, but it does NOT say anything about the Brewers, but instead it says Twins. When I type in the town that's a mile away in Wisconsin's zip, then the Brewers show up.

#12 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:44 PM

641 is FSN North in my guide which should get you Minnesota sports. That's strange. I have FSN Wisconsin on 642 where the Brewers should be. Right now there's a Bucks game on and it's telling me "channel not purchased".

You're right, my bad.

DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

#13 OFFLINE   durl

durl

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:54 AM

LMAO that's even more strange. I'm literally 1 lousy mile away from the Wisconsin border and when I type my zip in it says with the Sports Pack I get all the Minnesota sports, but it does NOT say anything about the Brewers, but instead it says Twins. When I type in the town that's a mile away in Wisconsin's zip, then the Brewers show up.

Hey, we're talking about baseball here. You didn't expect the owners and the commissioner's office to make this easy, did you? :D

#14 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 980 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:00 AM

this is EXACTLY what I have been saying for over two years. Directv needs to get it's stuff together.

let me know what happens after this weekend, since MLB and sports pak are free. did you buy the sports pack or just went without it? if you pay for the sports pack you may, may get the extra channels

suddenly this year, the twins, are now on my channel, at least for spring training games. Lets see what happens when the season starts.

#15 OFFLINE   scott72

scott72

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 09:45 AM

this is EXACTLY what I have been saying for over two years. Directv needs to get it's stuff together.

let me know what happens after this weekend, since MLB and sports pak are free. did you buy the sports pack or just went without it? if you pay for the sports pack you may, may get the extra channels

suddenly this year, the twins, are now on my channel, at least for spring training games. Lets see what happens when the season starts.

I bought the Pack. What should happen (and who knows what will happen) is if I'm in their local market (which I am), then I should get their games. All out-of-market games would be blacked out. There wouldn't be any sense to black out both in-market and out-of-market games. If that was the case then the Sports Pack wouldn't make any sense for anyone to get since you can't watch anything.

#16 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 980 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:08 AM

how close are you to LaCrosse/ La Crescent/ New Albin?

#17 OFFLINE   scott72

scott72

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:44 AM

how close are you to LaCrosse/ La Crescent/ New Albin?

I'm about an hour south of LaCrosse. I'm right across the river from Prairie Du Chien.

#18 OFFLINE   Darkscream

Darkscream

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:56 AM

I bought the Pack. What should happen (and who knows what will happen) is if I'm in their local market (which I am), then I should get their games. All out-of-market games would be blacked out. There wouldn't be any sense to black out both in-market and out-of-market games. If that was the case then the Sports Pack wouldn't make any sense for anyone to get since you can't watch anything.

Okay - This is tricky but I will give it my best shot.

I live in Dubuque -52001 - and on my sports pack ( Free with the package I have ) I get the Chicago feed - 640- but I could buy the Sports Pack and also get the Brewers games on 641 as well as the Twins games - same channel (641).

My father in law lives in 52140 with the exact same channels and he gets what I get except the Brewers games on 641.

It's a murky MLB world in Iowa.

#19 OFFLINE   scott72

scott72

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:29 AM

Okay - This is tricky but I will give it my best shot.

I live in Dubuque -52001 - and on my sports pack ( Free with the package I have ) I get the Chicago feed - 640- but I could buy the Sports Pack and also get the Brewers games on 641 as well as the Twins games - same channel (641).

My father in law lives in 52140 with the exact same channels and he gets what I get except the Brewers games on 641.

It's a murky MLB world in Iowa.

And to further muddy the waters, channel 642 and 642-1 are both now FSN Wisconsin. The Twins are on 641. Your right about the Iowa market being fruity. It stinks that we're claimed by so many markets and it's a mess. I really don't care where they are as long as they're on or I'll be doing a zip code switch to my parents house which is in Wisconsin which would guarantee I get them. Only drawback there is I would lose my HD locals since my parents market isn't in HD yet, although I could go with the national locals then. We'll see what happens.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...