Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Press Release: Dish Network Launches NESN HD

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
55 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:09 PM

DISH NETWORK LAUNCHES NESN HD

Fans of the 2007 World Champion Boston Red Sox and the Boston Bruins Will Never Miss Their Favorite New England Sports Teams in HD

Englewood, Colo. and Boston, Mass. – March 27, 2008 – DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), the nation’s third largest pay-TV provider, today announced the launch of the New England Sports Network (NESN), New England’s most-watched sports network, in high definition (HD). NESN is available in standard definition (SD) on DISH Network channel 434 and HD games are available on channel 434 HD to customers who subscribe to America’s Top 100 Plus or higher programming packages.
“Adding the New England Sports Network in HD to our existing Regional Sports Networks lineup gives New England sports fans all the more reason to subscribe to DISH Network,” said Eric Sahl, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network. “By combining the latest and most popular HD sports programming with the functionality and technology of our industry-leading dishDVR, customers will find multiple ways to enhance their viewing experience.”

“We are pleased DISH Network subscribers will have Red Sox and Bruins game in high definition on NESN HD,” said Sean McGrail, NESN president. “NESN has been a leader in the industry, delivering more HD sports programming than any other RSN in the country.”

NESN, the definitive source for New England sports programming, is the top rated regional sports network in the country delivering award winning Red Sox and Bruins coverage, a popular sports news and highlights program NESN SportsDesk and a unique sports debate and discussion show The Globe 10.0. NESN is also the first regional sports network in the country to originate every game and studio show in HD.

DISH Network offers customers a wide variety of HD sports programming including 22 HD Regional Sports Networks. New subscribers may enjoy DISH Network’s award winning ViP722, a dual-tuner HD dishDVR. The ViP722 receiver can record live TV, allowing sports fans to pause, rewind and fast forward programming and create their own instant replays.
For more information about DISH Network call 1-800-333-DISH (3474), visit www.dishnetwork.com, or visit your local DISH Network retailer.

# # #

About DISH Network Corporation
DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH) provides more than 13.78 million satellite TV customers with industry-leading customer satisfaction, which has surpassed major cable companies for seven years running. DISH Network customers also enjoy access to a premier line of award-winning Digital Video Recorders (DVRs), hundreds of video and audio channels, the most International channels in the U.S., industry-leading Interactive TV applications, Latino programming, and the best sports and movies in HD. DISH Network offers a variety of package and price options including the lowest all-digital price in America, the DishDVR Advantage Package, high-speed Internet service, and a free upgrade to the best HD DVR in the industry. DISH Network is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 300 company. Visit www.dishnetwork.com/aboutus or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474) for more information.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#2 OFFLINE   rpalumbo

rpalumbo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:49 PM

Here's the deal... NESN carries the Boston Red Sox games...
because of MLB blackout rules, ONLY people who live inside the Boston Red Sox TV market can see those games....the only exception is if you purchase the MLB Extra Innings package (which I did on DirecTV) but guess what... Dish DOES NOT offer and CANT offer MLB Extra Innings so NESN will be blacked out (outside of the Boston market) whenever the Red Sox are being telecast on NESN on Dish Network. Since DirecTV does offer MLB EI, as long as you purchase it, you can watch the Red Sox on NESN as long as NESN is providing the out of market feed for MLB EI for that particular game. Granted, Dish does offer NHL Center Ice, so if you purchase that, you will be able to watch the Boston Bruins on NESN whenever NHL Center Ice distributes NESN as the feed for that game.

If I am wrong, please correct my post. Thanks

#3 OFFLINE   yellolab

yellolab

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:01 PM

I think you've got it bass-ackwards.
NESN in the carrier, they don't get blacked out.
Folks like ESPN get blacked out if the Sox game in on NESN.
Case in point, the games Tuesday and Wednesday were on both NESN and ESPN2
ESPN2 was blacked out in my area(Vermont), I watched both games on NESN(SD of course).

Kevin

#4 OFFLINE   rpalumbo

rpalumbo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:04 PM

You are correct... NESN is the carrier: INSIDE THE BOSTON MARKET. They cannot export their product into other baseball TV markets UNLESS
you purchase MLB EI, which you can't on Dish because they don't offer it.

If you live outside of the Boston Red Sox TV market and you have Dish, I will guarantee you will NEVER see a Red Sox game on NESN.... Email me back next week after the season starts, we shall see...

#5 OFFLINE   yellolab

yellolab

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:19 PM

I live in Vermont, and have watched every Red Sox game on NESN for many years.
NESN-HD is new to me, but NESN is not.

Kevin

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,604 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:19 PM

It comes down to who owns the rights to the game.

The market does not have to match the local TV market ... NESN has a territory where they own the rights to certain games and ESPN or others are secondary. If you're in NESN territory then you can only get the game via NESN (ESPN blacked out). If you're out of the territory NESN will be blacked out.

National rights for for baseball are held by MLB ... who have sold games to ESPN and others but also sell their programming as part of the MLB EI package. If MLB EI is the only entity that has the right to deliver the programming in your area then all others will be blacked out - even on systems where MLB EI isn't available.

This has nothing to do with DISH ... this has to do with how broadcast rights are handled. DISH not having MLB EI does affect the DISH customer since that option is no longer available, but it does NOT affect blackouts.

#7 OFFLINE   janko

janko

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:23 PM

Do i get to see Bruins in hd when i have nhl center ice?I live in Chicago...
Todays game doesnt look like its gonna be shown in hd...

#8 OFFLINE   rpalumbo

rpalumbo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:33 PM

I live in Vermont, and have watched every Red Sox game on NESN for many years.
NESN-HD is new to me, but NESN is not.

Kevin

Yes, but Vermont IS INSIDE THE RED SOX TV MARKET...That is why you get them on NESN.

#9 OFFLINE   rpalumbo

rpalumbo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:35 PM

It comes down to who owns the rights to the game.

The market does not have to match the local TV market ... NESN has a territory where they own the rights to certain games and ESPN or others are secondary. If you're in NESN territory then you can only get the game via NESN (ESPN blacked out). If you're out of the territory NESN will be blacked out.

National rights for for baseball are held by MLB ... who have sold games to ESPN and others but also sell their programming as part of the MLB EI package. If MLB EI is the only entity that has the right to deliver the programming in your area then all others will be blacked out - even on systems where MLB EI isn't available.

This has nothing to do with DISH ... this has to do with how broadcast rights are handled. DISH not having MLB EI does affect the DISH customer since that option is no longer available, but it does NOT affect blackouts.

Perhaps I should have been more clear, I am not referring to games that are distributed Nationally on ESPN. I am talking about Red Sox games that are only on NESN. If a Red Sox game is ONLY on NESN, and you live in Texas for example, the only way you can see that game is by getting MLB EI that allows you to watch Out Of Market games. And yes, it does have to do with Dish because you DO NOT have that option. Dish does not offer MLB EI.

#10 OFFLINE   rpalumbo

rpalumbo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:37 PM

Do i get to see Bruins in hd when i have nhl center ice?I live in Chicago...
Todays game doesnt look like its gonna be shown in hd...

Depends. If you have NHL Center Ice on DirecTV the odds are that you would see it in HD as they have been allowing both teams feeds to be exported and all Bruin games on NESN are in HD. If you have cable and InDemand is your NHL Center Ice provider, you may be out of luck because they only show a handful of games in HD. As they say... check your local listings.

#11 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,604 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:39 PM

I hear an echo.

BTW: :welcome_s

#12 OFFLINE   janko

janko

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:44 PM

Depends. If you have NHL Center Ice on DirecTV the odds are that you would see it in HD as they have been allowing both teams feeds to be exported and all Bruin games on NESN are in HD. If you have cable and InDemand is your NHL Center Ice provider, you may be out of luck because they only show a handful of games in HD. As they say... check your local listings.

No,i am talking about dish network's Center ice...

#13 OFFLINE   rpalumbo

rpalumbo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:45 PM

Hmm, good question... Since I don't have Dish, not sure. I would go to their web site and check it out. They may have a list of what they are broadcasing on NHL Center Ice. DirecTV's web site has something similar.

#14 OFFLINE   Smthkd

Smthkd

Icon

• Registered
  • 925 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:53 PM

NESN HD "is" subject to blackout rules!!! Here in GA because we are not in the market are blacked out for all games!
Media/Family Room:
Panasonic TC-P65S1 Plasma , Toshiba XA2 (28 HD DVD's),Sony 60gig PS3 (80 Blu-Ray/16 Games), Onkyo 705, Infinity CC2, 4 Infinity RS5, 2 Infinity Overture 3,Velodyne DDS12, Directv HR20,Monster Power HTS2500 MKII, SlingBox ProHD
Master Bedroom:
Hitachi 55HDS69 Plasma, Sony STR-DA4ES, Toshiba A2, Directv - H21
Seating Room:
Panasonic 34" HDtv, Toshiba A2, Directv H21

#15 OFFLINE   BonefishPaul

BonefishPaul

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:02 PM

Perhaps I should have been more clear, I am not referring to games that are distributed Nationally on ESPN. I am talking about Red Sox games that are only on NESN. If a Red Sox game is ONLY on NESN, and you live in Texas for example, the only way you can see that game is by getting MLB EI that allows you to watch Out Of Market games. And yes, it does have to do with Dish because you DO NOT have that option. Dish does not offer MLB EI.

Then how come I can watch the Atlanta Braves on TBS, the Chicago Cubs on WGN, the NY Mets on WOR and a good number of Tampa Bay Devil Ray games, and I live in South Florida which is the Florida Marlins market? I don't have MLB EI, either.

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,604 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:08 PM

National rights.

#17 OFFLINE   rpalumbo

rpalumbo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:29 PM

Then how come I can watch the Atlanta Braves on TBS, the Chicago Cubs on WGN, the NY Mets on WOR and a good number of Tampa Bay Devil Ray games, and I live in South Florida which is the Florida Marlins market? I don't have MLB EI, either.

TBS: National Distribution Rights
WGN: National Distribution Rights
ESPN/ESPN2: National Distribution Rights

As far as the Tampa Bay games, not sure WHY you would want to watch them, but... just kidding... check out the MLB TV market map here. It's possible you live in what they call overlap territory where you may have access to BOTH markets:

http://upload.wikime...ckout_Areas.png

#18 OFFLINE   bosox

bosox

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:53 PM

Palumbo - what's your point?

Bottom line is this is great news for New England Dish subscribers.

#19 OFFLINE   Hound

Hound

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:00 PM

The answer is maybe. I also have E* Center Ice and the number of HD games this season is more than last season. A big improvement. But E* has not provided all available HD games. I do not know why? I also have D*. D* has more HD games than E. E*'s paucity of HD games is very disappointing. Especially with NBA LP.

#20 OFFLINE   Presence

Presence

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:39 PM

This is not even in my Guide. Do only New Englanders see it? I have the Everything pak.

spam firewall