Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Question Re Charge

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Earlyadopt

Earlyadopt

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:32 PM

Question:

Why would DTV charge me to come out and fix their dish alignment that THEY installed?

I was having problems with serious pixellation and drop outs so I called and a tech was dispatched. If I had known this 15 minute exercise was goi nto cost me $80 I would have crawled up there and do it myself.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,540 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:45 PM

Because that's their policy. If you have their Equipment Protection Plan, then you don't pay $80.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,897 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:48 PM

Question:

Why would DTV charge me to come out and fix their dish alignment that THEY installed?

I was having problems with serious pixellation and drop outs so I called and a tech was dispatched. If I had known this 15 minute exercise was goi nto cost me $80 I would have crawled up there and do it myself.

Now that you found this site. Ask here first, and you will most likely get your solution for free.

#4 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 04:23 AM

Question:

How long after the initial install was it before you had to call for the realignment?

#5 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:33 PM

Earlyadopt,

I believe there is a 90-day "warranty period" from the date of install or possibly upgrade (especially if there was a dish upgrade involved) under which they will fix dish alignment for free. After that, it costs $80 for a truck roll if you do not have the Protection Plan. The leased receiver is covered under the lease. The ancillary equipment is not. For that it's either the Protection Plan, or pay their service charges.

#6 OFFLINE   Earlyadopt

Earlyadopt

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:38 PM

Thanks to all for your comments.

DTV have found the error in their ways and has credited me the money. (I have the Protection Plan). Additionally, as they were digging in my account, they were still charging me (shame on me) for a receiver that I haven't used in 11 months since the HR20 was installed. They also added a 12 month credit for that mishap.

It pays to call and rattle their cage on occasion.

Thanks for the help.

#7 OFFLINE   jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationManchester NH

Posted 28 March 2008 - 01:46 PM

I used the PP twice this year:
1/24 Power failure/Surge Fried My LNB
3/26(This past wed) Realign after high winds
well worth $5.99/mo for me See my sig.
Jimmy

#8 OFFLINE   beavis

beavis

Icon

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:52 PM

The Protection Plan is definitely worth it, especially if you have a lot of HD and/or DVR equipment. I've heard of people who have had 3 HDDVR's & their LNB fry due to a lightning strike and all get replaced for $0. YMMV though.

#9 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:29 PM

Thanks to all for your comments.

DTV have found the error in their ways and has credited me the money. (I have the Protection Plan). Additionally, as they were digging in my account, they were still charging me (shame on me) for a receiver that I haven't used in 11 months since the HR20 was installed. They also added a 12 month credit for that mishap.

It pays to call and rattle their cage on occasion.

Thanks for the help.

Wow, that’s good service (and yet again another example of how inconsistent their service is). Last fall, my last UTV failed and was replaced with an R15 under the PP. When I called to activate the replacement R15 and cancel service on this last UTV, I specifically asked that the $10/mo UTV service charge be cancelled since I had no more UTV’s on the account. The CSR assured me that it would be.

Well, the next month’s bill was impossible to decipher with all sorts of prorated charges and credits on it, so I waited until the next month. On that bill, not only was the UTV charge not gone, they were also charging me a mirror/lease fee for all six receivers on m account, including the primary receiver. I called to have them correct this, and they said they would take care of it. The next month’s bill showed they had, but they only cancelled it as of the date of the 2nd call and not giving me credit back to the date of cancelling the UTV service and receiver. I called back and the CSR at first told me that it couldn’t be done, and that it was my fault for not having cancelled the UTV service when I cancelled the receiver. I kept my coo and explained that I had done exactly this. Anyhow, she calculated that they owed my just over $10, so she gave me a $5/mo credit for the next three months. That was a few dollars more than needed, so I accepted it.

A few months later, I decided to add a new HR20. Unfortunately, the way that $5credit was flagged my account and made it look like I’m a chronic complainer and thus I don’t qualify for the new reduced $199 price – they said it would be $299! It took a lot of arguing and transferring to managers to finally get them to understand the issues. On a positive note, they did send me a refurb HR20 (via an installer) for $99 + shipping and taxes.

So, the moral to the story, be careful accepting those “customer recovery” credits – they may make you look like a “problem customer”. Oh, and by the way, I think I am far from a “problem customer”. The first two HR20’s I got I paid full $299 for (because I had no idea of any “retention” department that might cut deals), and I never call and complain about anything. The only time I ever call D* is to add receivers or services and for the occasional equipment failure that’s covered under the PP.

spam firewall