Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Nervous about my switch...help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CarlRx

CarlRx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:33 AM

Help me calm my nerves?

Re-install Tuesday. Left 2 years ago for free TWC HD-DVR and no ability to get locals in HD via D* or OTA (due to multipath)

I wanted more HD, less TWC, although our TWC isn't that bad. I was at Best Buy last night and granted, they had a H20 hooked up to an uncalibrated display on "vivid" or equivalent, but I was not impressed with PQ.

2 year commitment, ~$200 in upfront costs, concerns about DVR/box interface, rain fade...should I regret this decision?

Your input is appreciated.

--Carl

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:48 AM

I wouldn't let the PQ in the store affect your decision. Let the install happen and if it's really that bad then don't sign the contract. You'll be able to tell right away.

I love my HR21. Having come back to D* from Comcast I can't tell the difference in HD quality, honestly, and I'm pretty picky about it. (just ask my wife :lol:)

Good luck - let us know how it goes. And welcome!

#3 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:10 AM

Don't let PQ scare you. I have 6 HD setups and have been able to adjust each one to absolute awesome PQ parameters. MPEG4 HD is incredible!

#4 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,266 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:35 AM

I wouldn't let the PQ in the store affect your decision. Let the install happen and if it's really that bad then don't sign the contract. You'll be able to tell right away.

Were trained to get the lease agreement signed before we do the install. If you don't sign we cancel.

#5 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:37 AM

What channel was it on? I am wondering if it was one of the few MPEG2 HD channels that will be moved to MPEG4 at some point. The MPEG4 HD channels look much better than the MPEG2 HD channels.

#6 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:54 AM

Help me calm my nerves?

2 year commitment, ~$200 in upfront costs, concerns about DVR/box interface, rain fade...should I regret this decision?

Your input is appreciated.

--Carl

Carl - Welcome to DBSTalk! :welcome_s

Personally, the two-year commitment doesn't bother me because I've been with DirecTV for over 10 years and can't see myself changing that for anything in the foreseeable future. If you're the type that bounces around to various providers chasing the "new sub" deals, then maybe it isn't for you. If you are coming to DirecTV because you like their HD offerings and feel that they meet your needs from a content/cost aspect, then I wouldn't worry about the commitment.

Rain fade is also something I wouldn't worry about. The only instances where I have seen that rain fade is NOT a relative short term (5 minutes or so, depending upon severity of the storm) and even very rare situation had more to do with bad dish alignment than any sort of on-going failing with the satellite system.

Most of what you'll read regarding problems with the DVR, while actual, real problems for those that are affected (for the MOST part), I get a strong feeling from reading these forums for quite some time that most people with DVRs are very satisfied with them - people just don't tend to get too vocal about "Hey, my DVR is working great!". :)

#7 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:01 AM

Were trained to get the lease agreement signed before we do the install. If you don't sign we cancel.

Thank God that's not how our local installers work. I didn't sign anything until the install was complete and I was happy. I wouldn't sign anything until after the install was finished.
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#8 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:04 AM

Rain fade is also something I wouldn't worry about. The only instances where I have seen that rain fade is NOT a relative short term (5 minutes or so, depending upon severity of the storm) and even very rare situation had more to do with bad dish alignment than any sort of on-going failing with the satellite system.

YMMV with rain fade depending on the part of the country you live in. I've had three rain fade events since spring started - all have been relatively short - and yes, my signals are fine, its the nature of living where I live.

However, IMO,the biggest problem with rain fade right now is the issue with tuner 1 of the HR20 (not sure about HR21) crapping out after a rain fade issue forcing a reset to get the tuner back. So the 5 minute rain fade, if at night or when you are away, may end up going on for hours and you can (and I have) lost recordings because of the tuner issue.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#9 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:25 AM

YMMV with rain fade depending on the part of the country you live in. I've had three rain fade events since spring started - all have been relatively short - and yes, my signals are fine, its the nature of living where I live.

However, IMO,the biggest problem with rain fade right now is the issue with tuner 1 of the HR20 (not sure about HR21) crapping out after a rain fade issue forcing a reset to get the tuner back. So the 5 minute rain fade, if at night or when you are away, may end up going on for hours and you can (and I have) lost recordings because of the tuner issue.

We experience rain fade occasionally, more during monsoon season, but never had an issue with "tuner 1" not returning. I would check your system, HR20, cables, etc.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#10 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:54 AM

We experience rain fade occasionally, more during monsoon season, but never had an issue with "tuner 1" not returning. I would check your system, HR20, cables, etc.

There are others that have reported the same issue. After rain fade, tuner one (and only tuner one) doesn't come back and the box runs incredibly slow to do anything - ie switch channels, bring up the guide etc etc.. Reset the box, all is fine.

It may be Hr20-700 specific. I have only noticed it with the latest NR.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#11 OFFLINE   CarlRx

CarlRx

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:20 AM

re: rain fade, I am a little comforted this time around with D* knowing that we'll have DVRs so we can watch some recorded content if the reception is offline.

I still remember my wife calling me at work before the DVRs saying that she was trapped inside due to thunderstorm with the (then 2 year old) kids and all they wanted to do was watch a TV show but we have no reception. Its giving me goosebumps just thinking about it.

At the store it was ESPN which I know is still MPEG2, but is of course one of the main reasons people buy subscription TV. HDNet looked better, except for a shot of some confetti during a racing highlight reel or something.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I'll feel better once its done!

--Carl

#12 OFFLINE   dshu82

dshu82

Icon

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:33 AM

Basically neighbors with davring here in FL and even during the summer where we get a storm almost every afternoon, never more than 5-10 minutes maximum of signal loss, and does not occur every time. Depends more on direction storm is coming from. Had some snow issues from time to time while living in Cleveland, but nothing a broom could not handle. If HD is what you want, should be very happy.
D* customer since 1997

#13 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:37 AM

I have had many installs and have never been asked to sign anything until the service was up and running.

#14 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:40 AM

At the store it was ESPN which I know is still MPEG2, but is of course one of the main reasons people buy subscription TV. HDNet looked better, except for a shot of some confetti during a racing highlight reel or something.

--Carl

Hdnet is still mpeg2 also. Try tuning to the Food Channel HD - 231.1 Always has a great mpeg4 picture.

#15 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:40 PM

Any consumer that signs any contract before seeing the product they're getting is just asking for trouble.

Likewise, any company that asks a customer to sign a contract before showing them the product is asking for trouble.

I'm not doubting your procedures, just making an observation.

#16 OFFLINE   Mr-Rick

Mr-Rick

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:31 PM

Any consumer that signs any contract before seeing the product they're getting is just asking for trouble.

Likewise, any company that asks a customer to sign a contract before showing them the product is asking for trouble.

I'm not doubting your procedures, just making an observation.

The customer has an opportunity to see the product when they order it from their retailer and see the showroom demo. (Best Buy, etc)

How do you think this would work out if the install team spends 3 hours installing your 6 room set up and then the customer says, "You know, I think this HD picture is a bit too compressed for my liking. Take it out." THe installer spent all the time and materials for nothing? I don't think so. You sign a contract to purchase an automobile way before you get the keys... The contract gets signed before the work starts. If the customer is not satisfied with the quality of the install after the contract has been signed, he has recourse with DirecTV, the retailer, and the credit card company. The customer will not lose out.

#17 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:36 PM

The customer has an opportunity to see the product when they order it from their retailer and see the showroom demo. (Best Buy, etc)

The customer has an opportunity to see the installation in his home when he orders it at Best Buy?? Of course he doesn't -- this doesn't even make sense.
Greg

#18 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:17 AM

How do you think this would work out if the install team spends 3 hours installing your 6 room set up and then the customer says, "You know, I think this HD picture is a bit too compressed for my liking. Take it out." THe installer spent all the time and materials for nothing? I don't think so. You sign a contract to purchase an automobile way before you get the keys... The contract gets signed before the work starts. If the customer is not satisfied with the quality of the install after the contract has been signed, he has recourse with DirecTV, the retailer, and the credit card company. The customer will not lose out.

You buy a car before you check it out and drive it? Hmm.

I'm sorry, you're wrong. I didn't have to sign my lease until the work was done. I don't care if it's standard operating procedure either that a contract gets signed before the work is done - it's a stupid procedure and like I said above, it's stupid for a customer to sign before inspecting the work.

:sure:

And your last statement is so far off base I don't even know how to address it.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...