Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Slingbox DISH Network In One Box

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,510 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:42 AM

I believe you are missing a letter ... "I know that as a happy DishNetwork customer I will be an early adopter of the new Dish Network 722s High Definition DVR box, based on the adaptation of SlingBox, one of my favorite technologies, alone."

Leslie is talking about a 722s ... not a 722 ... but the proposed 722 w/Sling. (It is a model number like "722k" not a plural like 722ks. Otherwise she would have called them DVR boxes to keep the plural going.)

She is mixing two products together and NOT reporting on a true product in any form, but she is talking about the 722s as being the 722 she wants. A product a lot of us would like to see since it was first discussed at CES 2008.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Phillip

Phillip

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:12 AM

James,

OK, that is some good information. Ms. Poston's piece uses "boxes" in the each of the first two sentences, but not toward the end. When I read the piece toward the end where she says "...I will be an early adopter of the new Dish Network 722s High Definition DVR box..." - it is sloppily written and can thus be interpreted in different ways. With your explanation it now makes sense.

What looks to be falling into place is:

1 - Some in the tech community took a press release, or more likely a talking points paper, in the Spring of 2008 and used it to write things for their blog/technology evaluation sites.

2 - Some of these people even went so far as to directly quote this talking points paper, using the exact same phrase "At their Team Summit Retailer Conference over the weekend, Dish Network pulled back the curtain on a new flavor their latest HD DVR, the 722s."

3 - Subsequent to this one or more variation of the 722 has been put out to DishNetwork customers. This may or may not include a 722k variant.

4 - The 722s from the talking points paper handed out at the "Team Summit Retailer Conference" has never come into existence and no DishNetwork receiver with Sling capability has ever come to the consumer market.

5 - Rumors continue unabated that DishNetwork will put out a box with integrated Sling capability, but there is nothing in writing from any official source.

6 - Nothing official is out, the main source for the rumor apparently is a talking points paper handed to people at a Team Summit Retailer Conference in the spring of 2008, absent some official declaration that the 722s, 922, or anything else DishNetwork with Sling capability is coming - all we continue to have is rumor... As such we do not have a date, a quarter or even a specific year to anticipate the arrival of this rumored device. Further, the veracity of the source is our only indicator of the legitimacy of the rumor.

I am sorry to just wear this out, but sloppy writing by some on the 'net, combined with an apparent interest on the part of DishNetwork to keep interest up for a device they would like to bring to market but which does not currently exist; those combine to confuse current and potential customers alike.

I am a DishNetwork customer, I started researching buying a Slingbox in January 2008 and started reading about the purchase of Sling and decided to wait a bit. I next read these glowing reports of Sling integration into the 722 and waited to upgrade to a PVR box in order to get this Sling capability. During this time had DishNetwork put out concrete information on whether they are, or are not, going to integrate the two, and had they provided us with an estimated timeline for its release, and/or if they had communicated with their current customer base with assurances they would provide them a modestly priced upgrade path if they want to commit to the non-Sling 722 right now and then move to the Sling capable box when and if it ever comes out; anything would have been better than what they have done. At least in my opinion.

I am going to write DishNetwork and see if I lay some of this out if they want to upgrade our boxes now and provide me a migration path once the new Sling capable boxes come out. If not, I guess I just have to continue to wait for them to get their act together. James, again, thanks for your insight.

Phil

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,510 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:59 AM

2 - Some of these people even went so far as to directly quote this talking points paper, using the exact same phrase "At their Team Summit Retailer Conference over the weekend, Dish Network pulled back the curtain on a new flavor their latest HD DVR, the 722s.

Team Summit is intended for retailers to get a look ahead ... there have been a lot of things over the years that were shown and never introduced. Some things take longer than others to develop.

The statement made by DISH on this back in January wasn't "soon". It was "next year". 2009. Sorry if that message didn't get through.

5 - Rumors continue unabated that DishNetwork will put out a box with integrated Sling capability, but there is nothing in writing from any official source.

Some things are kept confidential ... there has been some discussion of a "922" which is apparently the 722 sling. A much better model number so people don't get confused with the 722/722k/722s = 722 issue.

FYI: Confusion and annoyance often come from putting too much trust in rumors. :D

I am sorry to just wear this out, but sloppy writing by some on the 'net, combined with an apparent interest on the part of DishNetwork to keep interest up for a device they would like to bring to market but which does not currently exist; those combine to confuse current and potential customers alike.

The future is all DISH has ... I don't believe that DISH is intentionally adding to the confusion. They are talking to retailers and some outsiders have misunderstood.

Fortunately most customers are oblivious to it as they don't follow the rumors as closely as us on the forums. And if they ask we'll tell them the same as we told them from CES 2008 ... maybe in 2009. Maybe.

#24 OFFLINE   Phillip

Phillip

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:30 PM

Some things are kept confidential ...

Yes, and sometimes there are legitimate competitive reasons to keep things confidential. However, sometimes that "confidential" thing can take on a life of its own. If Dish has the lock on Sling technology then the only reason to keep details on a release date a secret is...because they can't come up with a product due to some technical hurdle? :lol:

FYI: Confusion and annoyance often come from putting too much trust in rumors. :D

It can also come from chasing down needlessly difficult to find information from companies that devote entirely too much effort to secrecy and confidentiality on subjects they need not. :rolleyes:

Fortunately most customers are oblivious to it as they don't follow the rumors as closely as us on the forums. And if they ask we'll tell them the same as we told them from CES 2008 ... maybe in 2009. Maybe.

Again, what would be nice would be if Dish just put out a piece on their own website that says:

- No version of the 722 or any other box available from DishNetwork has Sling capability of any type.

- We have the XXX model slated for 3Q2009 (or whatever quarter it will be) rollout and it will have certain Sling features.

If they did that then consumers like myself, unconcerned with following rumors but very interested in researching and making educated purchase decisions; we don't feel manipulated and exposed to being screwed over at some point. :nono2:

If any official from Dish wants to contact me and tell me how you can allay my concern, to quote Ross Perot "I'm all ears." ;)

Phil

spam firewall