Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Twins Fan Stuck in Iowa

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MNTwinsFaninIowa

MNTwinsFaninIowa

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:22 PM

I'm currently stuck in Iowa City, originally from Minnesota. We get the Chicago sports stations here, realize that FSN North is available for $12 bucks a month, but I already pay enough, why should I have to pay more?

Anyways, was looking to see if there was a way I could change my installation address to get the games...couple of questions.

1) Would I be able to get the HD locals out of Minnesota?? Realize that you have to be in the spot beam range is there a way to check if it would work?

2) I currently have the two dish set up, because we are in bum **** nowhere, am I going to lose my network stations? (trust me it would be a god sent gift not to have to endure the news out of Cedar Rapids)

18 months to go stuck in this corn, hopefully someone can bring me a little sunshine!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Brewsta

Brewsta

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:39 PM

So, you'd rather fraudulently "change" your address and lose your locals than pony up $12 a month to get the Twins, Royals, Cardinals, and Brewers?

FSN North and FSN North HD are both on CONUS transponders anyway.

#3 OFFLINE   JDubbs413

JDubbs413

Icon

• Registered
  • 877 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:56 PM

If you want their games, then buy MLB Extra Innings. Getting the Sports Pack won't help you due to blackout restrictions anyway.
5-LNB Slimline Dish
1 Zinwell WB68
1 HR20-700
1 R22-200
1 R15-500
1 D11-500

1 Slingbox Solo

Proud DirecTV Subscriber Since September 5, 2007.

#4 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:59 PM

You probably won't get to many legit responses on helping you "move" as it violates the TOS and the policy of this forum.

I wish i could give you some sunshine as you put it, but these threads usually don't last long and get closed.

As previously mentioned...due to possible blackouts...you're better off w/ EI, except the money of course.
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#5 OFFLINE   Mocco71

Mocco71

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:09 PM

I'm currently stuck in Iowa City, originally from Minnesota. We get the Chicago sports stations here, realize that FSN North is available for $12 bucks a month, but I already pay enough, why should I have to pay more?

Anyways, was looking to see if there was a way I could change my installation address to get the games...couple of questions.

1) Would I be able to get the HD locals out of Minnesota?? Realize that you have to be in the spot beam range is there a way to check if it would work?

2) I currently have the two dish set up, because we are in bum **** nowhere, am I going to lose my network stations? (trust me it would be a god sent gift not to have to endure the news out of Cedar Rapids)

18 months to go stuck in this corn, hopefully someone can bring me a little sunshine!

Depending on your zip code, you may be able to get them by just adding sportspak (I think that a lot of Iowa is claimed by multiple teams.) Go to the d* website and punch in your zip to confirm. Then, compare the cost of 6 months of Sportspak vs MLB EI and see which will provide you more value.

#6 OFFLINE   LeftWingLock

LeftWingLock

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 07:15 PM

If you want their games, then buy MLB Extra Innings. Getting the Sports Pack won't help you due to blackout restrictions anyway.

Actually here in Iowa (I'm in Davenport) we are claimed as home markets for the Cubs, White Sox, Twins, Brewers, and Cardinals so no problems with blackout restrictions. The only Twins games that I don't get are the few that are broadcast on a local Minneapolis station and not on FSN North.

#7 OFFLINE   Brewsta

Brewsta

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:25 PM

The entire state of Iowa is claimed by the Brewers, Cardinals, Cubs, White Sox, Twins, and Royals. If you have the Sports Pack, you will get all those teams games that appear on RSNs that DirecTV carriers. No Extra Innings required.

The OP *knows* he can get the Twins with just added the Sports Pack, but wants to find a way to do it cheaper than $12 a month.

What about us dropping nearly $60 a month to see our teams in HD that are out-of-market? Do you think we're going to feel sorry for the OP? Probably not.

If you like the Twins that much, pony up. $12 is two less Big Mac meals a month.

#8 OFFLINE   scott72

scott72

Icon

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 11:31 PM

The Twins claim Iowa as their market as well so yes he should get Twins games with the Sports Pack.

#9 OFFLINE   generalpatton78

generalpatton78

Godfather

• Registered
  • 422 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:12 AM

Seriously if this guy can get all thse games from the sports pack and in HD. Then he needs to pony up the 12$. Many people drop some serious cash to be able to see so many teams.

#10 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:09 AM

:welcome_s

I've got the sports pack as well and I echo what all the other Iowans have said about the sports pack in Iowa.

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#11 OFFLINE   Kavh

Kavh

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:35 AM

Is this Heaven? No its Iowa.

Thats why we get the games of six teams on sports pack.

#12 OFFLINE   diggerg56

diggerg56

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:37 AM

Sorry you don't like Iowa City, most of us that live here don't think it's so bad.

I actually consider it an advantage to be claimed as "home market" by so many teams. Between the Sports Pak and regular channels there aren't many games we can't see. It's definitely worth $12 a month for me.

Manipulating your address woulodn't help anyway. Too far away to pick up the spot beam .

#13 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:57 AM

Is this Heaven? No its Iowa.

Thats why we get the games of six teams on sports pack.

Appropriate quote for the most hallowed of days...the OFFICIAL beginning of baseball season (Japan dont count).

Pay the $12 bucks. Its worth it.

#14 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:26 AM

Depending on your zip code, you may be able to get them by just adding sportspak (I think that a lot of Iowa is claimed by multiple teams.)

Correct. We have the same issue in Des Moines, and I have been able to get Twins games in the clear as well as Brewers, Cubs, Sox, and Cardinals. The one exception is the Royals, who, for some inexplicable reason, black out the games even though Des Moines has been one of their top out-of-state fan bases for decades. :confused:
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#15 OFFLINE   dshu82

dshu82

Icon

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:28 AM

Japan counts (fortunately or unfortuately) when you leave with at 1-1 record!
D* customer since 1997

#16 OFFLINE   JDubbs413

JDubbs413

Icon

• Registered
  • 877 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:01 AM

Lol are you kidding me? That is crazy I never knew that many states claimed Iowa.
5-LNB Slimline Dish
1 Zinwell WB68
1 HR20-700
1 R22-200
1 R15-500
1 D11-500

1 Slingbox Solo

Proud DirecTV Subscriber Since September 5, 2007.

#17 OFFLINE   dornitram

dornitram

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:26 AM

I'm in the same boat as the OP. A Twins fan in Iowa City. I'm probably going to get the Sports Pak for $12 and just not tell the wife. ;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...