Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Reboot

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   henw

henw

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:34 PM

Why does it take so painfully long to reboot a DTV receiver?
I lose power on ocassion. Getting the system going again takes several minutes. Is it due to a slow processor?

Tom

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:47 PM

It might have something to do with getting information from 5 satellites. How long is it taking you and what receiver?

#3 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:50 PM

I lose power on ocassion. Getting the system going again takes several minutes. Is it due to a slow processor?

Tom

You may want to consider a small UPS unit for your receiver. If you're getting small power outages/fluctuations it can prevent reboots and protect the electronic circuitry in the machine.

#4 OFFLINE   Coffey77

Coffey77

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:52 PM

The DVR has to go through a bunch of checks to make sure all of its components are functioning. It also gathers information as to what type of dish you have as well as gathering some Guide data. It's mostly checking that the software starts up the required components, like the modem and the network...
- Andy
My Setup - (Computer Setup Included)
HR20-700 - / - / H20-100 -
PLEASE SUBSCRIBE<-- to DBSTalk.com and become a DBSTalk Club Member!

#5 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:24 PM

The DVR has to go through a bunch of checks to make sure all of its components are functioning. It also gathers information as to what type of dish you have as well as gathering some Guide data. It's mostly checking that the software starts up the required components, like the modem and the network...

Actually, it seems to start up all the required components rather quickly. About 90% of the boot up times appears to be spent on the steps that are identified on screen as "checking satellite settings", and "acquiring satellite data". I'd love to get a good explanation as to why they are spending a good 8 minutes on those two steps.

#6 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:00 PM

Ditto, the boot on an HR especially is painfully long. I'd almost swear they were fdisking and formatting the flippin' hard drive :lol:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#7 OFFLINE   ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:07 AM

For what it's worth, rebooting our H20-100 is slower now than in the past. I swear that everytime they update the software, it slows the unit down.

#8 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:19 AM

I can't think of the last time I had to boot one of my H20's, but I seem to need to boot my HR20 weekly.
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#9 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:24 AM

As mentioned before, the best purchase you can make to avoid the reboot time is a UPS.

Remember, these units aren't just computers, they are also satellite receivers. Just the way of the world of any satellite DVR. :)

#10 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:47 AM

Don't you just like people like henw that post a question then never show up again in their thread.

#11 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:50 AM

There are forums I visit only once a month or so, and some only once a week. perhaps this is like that for him.

However, yes, it does strike me when someone relatively new throws out a complaint, then disappears.

Don't you just like people like henw that post a question then never show up again in their thread.

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:20 AM

There are forums I visit only once a month or so, and some only once a week. perhaps this is like that for him.

However, yes, it does strike me when someone relatively new throws out a complaint, then disappears.

Pull pin,
drop grenade,
run quickly...:lol:
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:28 AM

:lol: Reminds me of a few weeks ago when I addressed a question on a Canon photography forum by suggesting that the differences between two specific camera bodies, for the average lay-user, was all in the head. I had to duck that thread for two weeks, due to the outraged Canon-ites.

Pull pin,
drop grenade,
run quickly...:lol:

#14 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,051 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:09 AM

Tom

Restating the obvious from above. UPS, UPS, UPS. Especially here in Florida, the lightning capitol of the world.

#15 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:18 AM

Don't forget that the UPS IMHO is not only to prevent rebooting the DVR it also to provide power during short outages and blips in the power so that any scheduled recordings can keep going.

I used to get momentary blips that would reboot my Tivo. After putting in the UPS no more problems. I even have my Alarm clock plugged into the DVRs UPS for that room.

#16 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:01 PM

I can't speak for the OP, but I have UPS's on everything in my house that does not exceed the capacity of a given 1500VA unit. The point remains, the HR units boot slowly.

#17 OFFLINE   henw

henw

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:12 PM

UPS sounds like a good idea. Still, why does it take so long to acquire satellite data? Does the receiver actually have to get input from each bird for over a minute a piece. Or, is a mass produced receiver built to hold costs down, things like processor speed?

Tom

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:36 PM

UPS sounds like a good idea. Still, why does it take so long to acquire satellite data? Does the receiver actually have to get input from each bird for over a minute a piece. Or, is a mass produced receiver built to hold costs down, things like processor speed?

Tom

"It" needs to do some housekeeping:
"listen" for if your account is active and this receiver is on it,
Download guide info, so it "knows" what to display, etc.
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:46 PM

Seems to me they could get this booger up a little more quickly by "remembering" some of that info (guide data especially) between boots, and update it offline once the thing gets you back into what it exists for - watching the flippin' TV :D

Oh, heck - why don't we go all the way - stabilize the thing so reboots are so rare nobody cares anymore

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:55 PM

Seems to me they could get this booger up a little more quickly by "remembering" some of that info (guide data especially) between boots, and update it offline once the thing gets you back into what it exists for - watching the flippin' TV :D

Oh, heck - why don't we go all the way - stabilize the thing so reboots are so rare nobody cares anymore

While we're at it: make it keep track of how long it's been "off" [without power] so when it wakes back up it's ready and can serve me my coffee [hot]. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...