Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Red, green, yellow, and blue.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Harry Seldon

Harry Seldon

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:31 PM

Is there anyway to set these buttons up on the lcd of the Harmony 880?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cstelter

cstelter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:11 PM

Is there anyway to set these buttons up on the lcd of the Harmony 880?

That's where I have them on my Harmony 680. I think it's on the additional buttons tab of the activity button customization screen-- assuming there isn't some unusual difference between the 680 and 880.

#3 OFFLINE   mrpull

mrpull

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 04:15 PM

I recently got an 880 and i shuffled the red/green/yellow/blue buttons to the first page of my "watch DVR" activity. It can be done.

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:31 PM

I have them that way on my 880.

As cstelter mentioned, it's in the activity customization screen.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 OFFLINE   Harry Seldon

Harry Seldon

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:02 PM

I've tried the customization screen; I even tried learning the commands raw. I can't get anything to work.:(

#6 OFFLINE   cstelter

cstelter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:25 PM

I've tried the customization screen; I even tried learning the commands raw. I can't get anything to work.:(

If you're on the right screen, you should see a 1,2,3,4 listing on the left and a name field to the right of each number and a dropdown next to the names (assuming a name has been entered). On the righthand side will be a legend showing how the numbers map onscreen.

You must give a name to the field before you can select wich device and selection.

Once you give a name (say Blue) you can choose the HR20 as the device and then select 'Blue' from the dropdown.

I'm going from memory, but I recently reprogrammed my Dad's Harmony (659 maybe?) so I'm pretty sure this is reasonably close.

#7 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 836 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:45 PM

For your HR2X activity, click Customize Buttons. There will be two tabs, Standard Buttons and Aditional Buttons. Click Additional Buttons.

On the right you'll see a key to the eight positions on the LCD. There are eight corresponding rows consisting of Label, Device and Command. Type in the label you want (Red, Green, etc.). For device select HR21 or HR20, as appropriate and then for Command, select the matching color command. Repeat as desired.

You can define multiple pages of buttons.

Steve

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   Harry Seldon

Harry Seldon

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:48 PM

You guys are describing exactly what I did. The only thing that shows on the screen is "List" when I update the remote, and of course the buttons have no function.

Thanks for the help though.:)

#9 OFFLINE   cstelter

cstelter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:52 PM

You guys are describing exactly what I did. The only thing that shows on the screen is "List" when I update the remote, and of course the buttons have no function.

Thanks for the help though.:)

Is there a blank for entering the 'Name'? I found that until you enter a name you don't have anything else... My best guess at what you're seeing/not seeing.

#10 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 836 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:54 PM

Did you go through the steps I listed and set the individual values, and then use Save or Next or whatever it is to finish? Then you have to update the remote. I have the right four buttons on the LCD mapped to the color buttons on my 880.

Steve

My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   VARTV

VARTV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 441 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA, USA

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:57 PM

I bought an 890 and was going to return it. How easy, though, would it be to access these HR-2X color buttons on the Harmony. We use the RED and BLUE quite often. I wouldn't want to push additional buttons on the Harmony just to access the RED GREEN YELLOW BLUE functions...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

With DirecTV since October 2004. My complete setup on 1/1/2013...

#12 OFFLINE   VARTV

VARTV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 441 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA, USA

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:59 PM

Did you go through the steps I listed and set the individual values, and then use Save or Next or whatever it is to finish? Then you have to update the remote. I have the right four buttons on the LCD mapped to the color buttons on my 880.

So when you set your Harmony to SAT (or whatever you have it named), those four color functions are on the right side of the LCD screen?

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

With DirecTV since October 2004. My complete setup on 1/1/2013...

#13 OFFLINE   Harry Seldon

Harry Seldon

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:36 PM

Is there a blank for entering the 'Name'? I found that until you enter a name you don't have anything else... My best guess at what you're seeing/not seeing.

Yes, the buttons are named and the functions attached.

#14 OFFLINE   Harry Seldon

Harry Seldon

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:38 PM

Yes, I just opened the Harmony software again, and the label and command fields are as I set them.

#15 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:56 PM

You are setting these up in the Activities, not the Devices, right, Harry?

As with the others that have posted, these four colored buttons are on the first page of the LCD screen for my Watch TV activity.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#16 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:35 PM

Some screen caps might help. This is how my remote is set up:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   Harry Seldon

Harry Seldon

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:48 PM

As with the others that have posted, these four colored buttons are on the first page of the LCD screen for my Watch TV activity.

Nope, I was setting the device up! You may be my new online hero!

#18 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:00 AM

Thanks, but it's not me. It's the way the Harmony remote works. It's hard for us old farts who are used to working devices. We want to control the DVR. Harmony's great breakthrough is that people want to Watch TV, not control a box. You've got to switch your mindset. Once you do, you'll get the beauty of their decision. It took me a while personally to get over this hurdle.

Within the activity, you can control all the devices that make up that activity. You'll find you can control your TV and DVR, and a home theater receiver if you are using one, within the Watch TV activity. That's what makes Harmony's decision so brilliant. Everything is there. While you want all of the minor (and major) commands for each device programmed under that device, the commands you use the most should all be in the Watch TV activity, either hard buttons or on the LCD screen. You almost never go back to the device.

Good luck. Let us know how things come out.

#19 OFFLINE   Harry Seldon

Harry Seldon

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:00 AM

It worked! I think I love you! Do you want children? I will gladly bear them if you do!

#20 OFFLINE   Harry Seldon

Harry Seldon

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:03 AM

One good thing about this... the time's right!:lol:

spam firewall