Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Another DVR for free... well ok if you insist

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bergthold

Bergthold

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:27 PM

Last night I got the call. The call from Directv asking if they could "upgrade" my service so that I could get all the latest high definition channels.

I knew about these calls from reading other posts here, so I thought I'd have a little fun with the customer service rep.

I asked him if he could see on his computer what equipment I already had, and he said no. He then proceeded to offer me a free HD DVR and a new slim line 5 LNB dish! I told him I already had a slim line dish, and asked him what model number he wanted to send me.

At this point he kind of knew that I knew what I was talking about. I told him that I already had two HR20-100s, but the receiver in my master bedroom is still a Sony SAT-HD300. So he offer to replace that one with a new DVR completely free of charge I just needed to extend my contract two years.

Well I still have 14 months left on my current contract, so I figured why not, and took him up on his offer. He of course could not tell me what model number they are sending out, so Friday they are coming out to give me probably a HR21 for free! :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Brian Hanasky

Brian Hanasky

Godfather

• Registered
  • 369 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:33 PM

Congrats

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: budracin88

#3 OFFLINE   tyler_9110

tyler_9110

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:48 PM

Very Nice Move!

#4 OFFLINE   OverThereTooMuch

OverThereTooMuch

Almost a new member

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:10 PM

Since you already have the dish, you should call them back and ask them to just mail the new receiver out (instead of making you sit home for the 4 hour install window).

DTV still hasn't called me, and I actually have a box they want to swap out :mad:

#5 OFFLINE   Bergthold

Bergthold

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:26 AM

So the installer shows up on Friday not with a DVR, but an H21 Hi-def receiver. I told him they said they were installing a DVR.

Anyway I called D and asked what was going on. They said oh no you have a Hi-def receiver being installed not a DVR. You would have to pay $199 for another DVR.

I cancelled the order! Good thing I was going to be home anyway and did not waste any of my time.

#6 OFFLINE   birusan

birusan

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:58 PM

So the installer shows up on Friday not with a DVR, but an H21 Hi-def receiver. I told him they said they were installing a DVR.

Anyway I called D and asked what was going on. They said oh no you have a Hi-def receiver being installed not a DVR. You would have to pay $199 for another DVR.

I cancelled the order! Good thing I was going to be home anyway and did not waste any of my time.

The guys who call with the upgrade offer don't know which equipment you have, but the folks at DTV who bill you sure do!

Using the same logic, I ended up in a protracted disagreement with DTV that ultimately cost me $400 (since I really grew to like those 2 add'l new HR21 HD-DVR's!)

#7 OFFLINE   glennb

glennb

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:15 PM

Maybe the CSR knew you were "having fun" with him when he called so he decided to "have fun" with you and write up the order for a HD receiver instead of an HD DVR.
:lol:

#8 OFFLINE   bbeeman

bbeeman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:17 PM

Maybe the CSR knew you were "having fun" with him when he called so he decided to "have fun" with you and write up the order for a HD receiver instead of an HD DVR.
:lol:

Just two weeks after upgrading to an HR21-700 and the 5-LNB dish I got the call also. I'd retired an old Sony A-1 receiver in the bedroom and moved by HR10-250 in there. The rep was happy to agree to replace that, and for once the tech made the appointed time.

Aside from cutting a groove across the lawn trying to turn his truck around, the install went smoothly. So for zero dollars, and only a two week extension of the commitment I have two HR21-700s.

So are they just trying to get all the HR-10s out of the field?

#9 OFFLINE   tp0d

tp0d

I want an HR21pro!

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:30 PM

I have an HR-10 in my daughters room...

Sure would like a new HR-21... the pro looks damn sweet

hmm mebe I`ll give -them- a call heh

-j

spam firewall