Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Come on D* - Give us ESPN/ESPN2 in HD - MPEG-4!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:53 PM

Now that I've seen how good ESPN News HD is, I want the same PQ for ESPN and ESPN2.

Pluheeze - we need our MPEG-4 ESPN :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   alexjb12

alexjb12

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:55 PM

Now that I've seen how good ESPN News HD is, I want the same PQ for ESPN and ESPN2.

+1
Living Room
Philips 42" Plasma with Ambilight
HR20-700-- HDMI and Optical Audio
Sony - 800W 5.1-Channel Home Theater System

Bedroom
Vizio 32" VX32L LCD
HR21-700 -- Component

Computer Room
Dell 17" LCD HDTV
R15-300 S-Video

My Full Q3 2008 Setup

#3 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:56 PM

When D11 is alive and kickin ... :)
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#4 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:57 PM

Don't count on it till you see that D11 is in it's final spot, and is ready to go.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   saleen351

saleen351

Godfather

• Registered
  • 478 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:08 PM

Can't the geeks on here do what that guy did with the comcast screen shots? Take two baseball games, screen capture and post. I can't tell any difference from my end.

#6 OFFLINE   syphix

syphix

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:14 PM

Don't count on it till you see that D11 is in it's final spot, and is ready to go.

When they do move it to MPEG4 on D11, is there any word on if they'd keep the MPEG2 version running for HD DirecTivo's? i.e., would they simulcast (somehow..maybe a different channel number), or just shut off the MPEG2 stream?
Nathan
setup:
- 50" Plasma 1080p HDTV (Samsung PN50A760), 46" LCD 1080p HDTV (Samsung LN-T4665F), 32" LCD 720p HDTV (Insignia). 1 Hopper, 2 Joeys.

#7 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:37 PM

When they do move it to MPEG4 on D11, is there any word on if they'd keep the MPEG2 version running for HD DirecTivo's? i.e., would they simulcast (somehow..maybe a different channel number), or just shut off the MPEG2 stream?

73 (ESPN HD MPEG2) and 72 (ESPN2 HD MPEG2) are currently remapped to 206 and 209.

They may first change 206 and 209 to be an MPEG4 HD feed from D11.

Make sure it all looks nice.

And then turn off 73 and 72 when they turn off all 9 of the legacy MPEG2 HD's.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,780 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:37 PM

I would imagine they will keep them up for a couple months, and probably send out notices just like they did for the LA DNS feeds, but I wouldn't expect them to stay MPEG-2 for too long. I would expect them to maybe be in MPEG-4 off of 110 and 119 for a while just like the LA DNS feeds for the same reasons those are still coming from those sats...

#9 OFFLINE   myselfalso

myselfalso

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:44 PM

Why can't they make the switch now?
I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 2005.

A few channels I'd still like to see DirecTV add are:
CSPAN3, the PAC-12 Network(s), BBC World and more international news channels.

#10 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:51 PM

Why can't they make the switch now?

Business decision most likely.

Promote more and more advanced services that require an MPEG4 box. Promote the 90+ HD, MLB-EI HD, NHL-CI HD, NBA-LP HD, NFL-ST HD ...

Lots of people convert. Lots may pay to convert.

Then the remaining, offer free swaps for the smaller subset that's left.

And then turn off the legacy HD.

Seems like good plan.

Also, having D11 in place helps, so that you can have both formats for a transition period.

#11 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:29 PM

Converting the LA/Western DNS locals to MPEG4 seems to have worked out OK. I wonder how many did not upgrade from MPEG2 HD to MPEG4 in the effected area and lost their LIL or DNS channels. I would think that Directv considers the western states totally converted to MPEG4 (from those that had MPEG2 HD). Now it is just a matter of upgrading those that want HD.

Now they will start on the East end of the country. Since the eastern US has a larger population, I would think it will take a little longer for this conversion than it took in the west. I would think it will be real soon that Directv will announce that the eastern MPEG2 DNS channels will be totally converted to MPEG4.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#12 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:32 PM

My guess... it will be done pretty much exactly as it was with the LA DNS channels.

At first... both the MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 versions will be there.
With the MPEG-4's on the same channel number as the MPEG-2 SD's.

Then you will start to see scrollers on the bottom of the MPEG-2 HD's to let them know they are going away and have to be updated.

If it happens before 9/1/2008, then the MPEG-2 HD's shut off... but the MPEG-4's remain on 101/110/119 combination...

Until after 9/1/2008, and then they move over to 99/103....

Total educated guess... no official or unofficial information being heard here.

I would have to bet, that shortly after D11 goes active...
That ALL MPEG-2 HD channels, will be broadcasted in MPEG-4 off the new SAT. And then a date set on when the MPEG-2's will be shut off.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#13 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:39 PM

Converting the LA/Western DNS locals to MPEG4 seems to have worked out OK. I wonder how many did not upgrade from MPEG2 HD to MPEG4 in the effected area and lost their LIL or DNS channels. I would think that Directv considers the western states totally converted to MPEG4 (from those that had MPEG2 HD). Now it is just a matter of upgrading those that want HD.

Now they will start on the East end of the country. Since the eastern US has a larger population, I would think it will take a little longer for this conversion than it took in the west. I would think it will be real soon that Directv will announce that the eastern MPEG2 2 DNS channels will be totally converted to MPEG4.

Based on the volume of posts accross the many forums....
Pretty well (for DirecTV)... not many people posting "where did my channels go"
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,780 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:53 PM

The only issue seemed to be on monday before they moved the feeds from D10 to 110 and 119 in the MDU situations...

Frankly, anyone else who missed that probably just didn't believe scrolling at the bottom of the screen...

#15 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:57 PM

I considered those on this forum to be well informed so I would not expect any posted like that. There are those out there that do not have a clue as to what is going on. :lol:
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,780 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:00 PM

Now they will start on the East end of the country. Since the eastern US has a larger population, I would think it will take a little longer for this conversion than it took in the west. I would think it will be real soon that Directv will announce that the eastern MPEG2 DNS channels will be totally converted to MPEG4.

I would disagree, I doubt they consider the entire western half of the US done.. There are plenty of customers that haven't gotten DNS LA feeds (remember, most of the HD boxes out there will tune OTA channels too) that are watching just conus MPEG-2 HD feeds that have probably not been upgraded yet, but with DNS switch, and the aggressive converting of their sports subs.. I would have to say I believe they've probably made a big dent in the number of people that need to be switched. If I had to guess, I'd think that they are probably 1/3rd of the way there, and after the east coast they will be another 1/3 of the way there, and then they'll just have 1/3 of the subs left, spread all over the country, not counting any conversions taking place because of sports subs getting their free upgrade offers.

#17 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:36 AM

Can't the geeks on here do what that guy did with the comcast screen shots? Take two baseball games, screen capture and post. I can't tell any difference from my end.

A lot of the improvement involves motion and would not be visible in a screen shot.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#18 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,697 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:44 AM

Ditto.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#19 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:36 AM

I would disagree, I doubt they consider the entire western half of the US done.. There are plenty of customers that haven't gotten DNS LA feeds (remember, most of the HD boxes out there will tune OTA channels too) that are watching just conus MPEG-2 HD feeds that have probably not been upgraded yet, but with DNS switch, and the aggressive converting of their sports subs.. I would have to say I believe they've probably made a big dent in the number of people that need to be switched. If I had to guess, I'd think that they are probably 1/3rd of the way there, and after the east coast they will be another 1/3 of the way there, and then they'll just have 1/3 of the subs left, spread all over the country, not counting any conversions taking place because of sports subs getting their free upgrade offers.

So you see round 2 in the west. Converting those with only MPEG2 HD that get there HD locals OTA. That makes sense. That push will probably be at the same time of the push in the east to do the same so the remaining MPEG2 HD channels can be discontinued, but after the east round 1 of getting all those receiving LIL and DNS MPEG2 locals via satellite.

I am hoping that the remaining HD MPEG2 national channels will also be put up on D11 before all these conversions are completed.

Those that receive the HD locals via OTA were not the focus of this conversion. So if the majority of those that depended on MPEG2 for their LIL or DNS HD converted to MPEG4 equipment, then the conversion was a success. Only a few that did not upgrade would be effective.

spam firewall