Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Core

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 02:16 PM

Has anyone seen this yet? I'm going to see it here this afternoon. Just looking for some escapist fun, and I think this movie will supply that nicely.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 03:09 PM

Roger Ebert said it is kind of silly, but exactly what you are looking for "Escapist Fun".
4900 on a SA TiVo and a 508

#3 OFFLINE   Kevin

Kevin

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 873 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 03:55 PM

The special effects definately look cool from the promos. I might see this tonight..

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 07:19 PM

Just got back from it, and I have mixed feelings about this movie. If you can go into it with your brain turned completely off, then It's a pretty cool movie. Big action adventure that is extremely silly, but still fun if you don't think about it too much.

The ads I've seen for it claim that this is what Armegeddon tried to be. Swap that around, and you'll get a pretty good idea what this movie is and if you'd like it. I liked Armegeddon well enough. This movie isn't as good. The effects are pretty cool in spots, and it has kind of an interesting concept for the destruction of the earth.

I'd say it's worth matinee prices, but not full price.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#5 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 08:55 PM

So if had Bruce Willis and the bunch of social misfits drillers combined with the tearjerker lines like "I've got something coming up that might make you proud of me" or "Thats not a salesman, thats your daddy" were in it, would it be on par with Armageddon :D
4900 on a SA TiVo and a 508

#6 OFFLINE   Kevin

Kevin

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 873 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 11:51 PM

I ended up seeing Head Of State tonight instead...avoid it unless you like seeing old white people dancing to Nelly...rent Chris Rock: Bigger and Blacker if you want real comedy.

#7 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 09:55 AM

I REALLY liked this movie. It has a LOT less corny lines than Armageddon did. A bunch of no names instead of big stars, so you aren't thinking, "OH look, there's Bruce/Arnold/Sly saving the world again". They make an attempt to make things at least plausible, and gloss over a few technical impossibilities to make the story move (the extreme heat, pressure, and drilling problems are dealt with quickly as well as the distance that needs to be covered), but overall the movie was a lot of fun. Stanley Tucci steals the movie as a Carl Sagan-esque scientist with a healthy mix of Dr. Smith from Lost in Space thrown in. Lots of Independence Day-esque destruction thrown in for the disaster fans. Overall, it was a fun movie. We usually only get popcorn movies like this in the summer.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   jrjcd

jrjcd

Arcane Movie Trivia King

• Gold Members
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 04:11 PM

not sure ACADEMY AWARD WINNING BEST ACTRESS hilary swank would be considered a NO NAME, and stanlet tucci, aaron eckhart, delroy lindo(NO NAME??!!???don't think so), bruce greenwood, and alfre woodard....they MAY NOT be julia roberts or sharon stone, but they have distinguished themselves enough as actors in a variety of roles that to dismiss them as "no name" is a bit presumptious(double sic)...no name indeed....
jrjcd(jack)-

"I've got a FEVER...and the ONLY prescription for it is MORE COWBELL!!!!"
Lengendary record producer Bruce Dickinson

Protected By... spam firewall...And...