Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PS3 Worthless for Gaming

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GlennJ84

GlennJ84

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:42 PM

Has anyone noticed that the PS3 is not really a game system. It doesn't really do anything perfectly and the only thing I can seem to find that it does well is play movies (Blu-Ray and Upconvert DVDs).

I think there is something fundamentally wrong with a game system when you are forced to quit a game you are playing in order to answer a message from a fellow friend on your 'list o buddies.'

That is all.
G. Johnson
"If I were an animal, I'd probably be a duck."
2) Sony Bravia KDL-40XBR4
1) Sony STR-DG810 Receiver
1) PS3
1)R22 Connected to Tube Samsung HDTV
1) D11 Receiver SD RCA TV
1)Motorola SB5100 Time Warner Cable
1)D-Link DGL-5400
1)Apple 500GB Time Capsule
2)D-Link GB 5 Port Switch
1)AT&T 3G Microcell
2)iPhone 3G

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:51 PM

Works fine for me... I IM chat during game play on Dark Kingdom.

The games I play are awesome, so I have know I idea where your going on it sucks for games.

Starting off a thread like this could get flamed fast. Let me start by saying user error.... :rolleyes:

#3 OFFLINE   jazzyd971fm

jazzyd971fm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:58 PM

[quote name='GlennJ84']

I think there is something fundamentally wrong with a game system when you are forced to quit a game you are playing in order to answer a message from a fellow friend on your 'list o buddies.'

There has been a lot of discussion on this subject in the gaming forums. Sony knows about it & is supposed to be working on this for a firmware update:)

5 LNB Slimline>HR24-500>Sony KDS 50 A 2020>HDMI
Sony DAV-DX255 Component
Samsung DVD/VCR-VR320

PS4>HDMI
PS3>Component
Xbox 360>Component
Total Choice Plus/HD Access/NFL ST Max
HBO/Showtime/Starz/Sports Pack
DBSTalk App Thru Samsung Galaxy S 4

#4 OFFLINE   waynebtx

waynebtx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationKingsville,Texas

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:00 PM

Works great for me

Wayne

Slimline dish SWIM16
Sharp LC-60E78UN
HD-A30 w/ Harmony 880
HR34-700/AM21 w/ Harmony 880.
1 C31-700

HR44-200

HR24-100

H25-100

Marantz NR1603 A/V 7.1

All Wired Networked
Xbox 360
retired USN , retired Boeing, retired L3COM, just plain tired

#5 OFFLINE   phat78boy

phat78boy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:49 PM

Has anyone noticed that the PS3 is not really a game system. It doesn't really do anything perfectly and the only thing I can seem to find that it does well is play movies (Blu-Ray and Upconvert DVDs).

That is all.

I think this is especially true if you have used a Xbox 360 and Xbox Live.

#6 OFFLINE   Pinion413

Pinion413

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:19 PM

Give it time. Microsoft has had Live going since the original XBOX, and most of us who use it take it for granted as to how well it works with all of its features.

For all intents and purposes, Sony's online service has only been up and running seriously for a year and a half, far less time than M$ has had with Live.

It'll get there. Nothing worth while happens overnight. :grin:

(I don't own a PS3 yet by the way, mainly for the reasons the OP stated. :lol: )
-Chris

My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:27 PM

I have owned a ps3 for sometime now and just as the HR20 has come a long way so has the PS3. The PS3 will have in game messaging soon. Also Home Beta is supposed to launch at the end of may that will give it an edge in the online community world. Also this year will produce a lot of awesome PS3 games such as MGS and Killzone and much more. Take it from someone who has a 360 and PS3...Home will will be much better than live,although as of right now Live destroys PSN. Be patient for more features such as in game messaging,their coming.

#8 OFFLINE   glennb

glennb

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:11 PM

Works fine for me... I IM chat during game play on Dark Kingdom.

The games I play are awesome, so I have know I idea where your going on it sucks for games.

Starting off a thread like this could get flamed fast. Let me start by saying user error.... :rolleyes:

Kinda like this user error.....
.....so I have know I idea where your going on it sucks for games.
The first part of the sentence seemd OK but this part is a little confusing.
:confused:

#9 OFFLINE   texaswolf

texaswolf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:12 AM

game play is great for me...last i had heard Sony was working on the in game IM , and will be in a future update....at least you dont have to pay to play online;)
Samsung 56" DLP 1080i
Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD
Playstation 3 20gb w/ WD 160gb external
Dish Vip622 (Turbo HD + Premiums) w/My Book 500gb External, Mybook 750gb External, WD 250gb External
Sony STR-DG 510 Receiver

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. "

Frank Sinatra

#10 OFFLINE   phat78boy

phat78boy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:29 AM

game play is great for me...last i had heard Sony was working on the in game IM , and will be in a future update....at least you dont have to pay to play online;)

I have both a Xbox 360 and PS3 and online gaming is not even close. I would gladly pay, and do, for a great online gaming experience.

The PS3 has been out far too long, IMHO, to not have a good online interface. This was a key benefit Sony brought up when selling the PS3 and they have barely made any progress on it. I'm starting to think by the time the PS3 gets to the usability level of the Xbox 360, we will have new consoles to buy.

#11 OFFLINE   turey22

turey22

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:30 AM

i love the ps3 and all the games that are available for it. It is the best system out there and superior to the Xbox. Just becasue you can't IM your way online it does not mean that it's worthless.

#12 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:28 AM

I went to SonyStyle site a couple of days ago to look for one. They show the 80 GB version as being available in June 2008. Is that right? Does anyone have any idea what it will be capable of?
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#13 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:34 AM

I don't worry too much about on-line gaming and I'm just a casual gamer but Drake's Fortune, Rainbow Six Vegas (the original is much better than the 2nd IMO), and MLB The Show are GREAT games with phenomenal graphics and smooth controls. This year will have a lot of great releases such as Gran Turismo and new MGS so I don't agree it's useless as a gaming machine by any means!

#14 OFFLINE   phat78boy

phat78boy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:58 AM

I don't worry too much about on-line gaming and I'm just a casual gamer but Drake's Fortune, Rainbow Six Vegas (the original is much better than the 2nd IMO), and MLB The Show are GREAT games with phenomenal graphics and smooth controls. This year will have a lot of great releases such as Gran Turismo and new MGS so I don't agree it's useless as a gaming machine by any means!

Thats my issue with the PS3. I haven't found one game that looks better on the PS3 then the Xbox 360. If they are on both systems, I usually take the 360 version as it will have better online play and the graphics are identical. The PS3 had a bunch of system only titles that got moved to multiple systems for various reasons. System exclusive games was the main reason I purchased the PS3. Now it seems the only thing the PS3 will give me the 360 can't is Gran Turismo and the often delayed MGS. Not sure thats worth 600$.

#15 OFFLINE   rucknrun

rucknrun

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:03 AM

At least you get everything with the PS3, XBOX you have to buy everything separately. i.e. the charger for the wireless controller is separate. PS3 is superior in every way to the XBOX 360 except the game selection. XBOX has a much better catalog. I use my PS3 as a media center more then anything else. It is the best way to watch video podcasts.

On a side note back to games. I think the partial release of Gran Turismo 5 is a cheap money grab. It is almost shameless.

#16 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,602 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:08 AM

I have Unreal Tournament 3 and love it. I don't have a headset, so I can't speak to that part. I am going to buy a blue tooth 2.0 hands free for my cellphone and it can double as one for the PS3.

#17 OFFLINE   phat78boy

phat78boy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:18 AM

At least you get everything with the PS3, XBOX you have to buy everything separately. i.e. the charger for the wireless controller is separate. PS3 is superior in every way to the XBOX 360 except the game selection. XBOX has a much better catalog. I use my PS3 as a media center more then anything else. It is the best way to watch video podcasts.

On a side note back to games. I think the partial release of Gran Turismo 5 is a cheap money grab. It is almost shameless.

Don't agree with you there. While it doesn't come with a charger for the controller, you can easliy add one for much less then the complete price of the PS3. The 360's built-in media extender is unmatched if you have a media center PC. As we are talking about game systems, both online play and console play are much better on the the 360. I also prefer the 360 controller and like the fact I can use it with my computer games...Crysis anyone? :D

#18 OFFLINE   chris0

chris0

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:07 PM

Have you played it yet? I got it on Tuesday when it was released and IMHO it's totally worth $40. Once you clear the C, B and A classes you can race online in the intermediate and professional races, much better class of drivers than the "bump-and-run" types that can fill up the beginner races.

#19 OFFLINE   texaswolf

texaswolf

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:06 AM

Don't agree with you there. While it doesn't come with a charger for the controller, you can easliy add one for much less then the complete price of the PS3. The 360's built-in media extender is unmatched if you have a media center PC. As we are talking about game systems, both online play and console play are much better on the the 360. I also prefer the 360 controller and like the fact I can use it with my computer games...Crysis anyone? :D

interesting...my brother in law and buddy were over playing my ps3 the other day, both own 360's and both said they liked the online better (COD 4) on the ps3...and both complained about having to buy everything separate for the 360 (i have extra mini usb's that i use as chargers for my ps3 controllers...free) and one of them already dealt with a failure on his first 360. Not sure what you mean about unmatched as a media player...mine plays everything i stream to it just fine. I figured both consoles are comparable...but i hear a lot of complaints from them. So i guess if you add the price of the controller chargers, online play, and a high def player...there isn't much of a price difference. Mine was $400..two controllers, BR movie with it.
Samsung 56" DLP 1080i
Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD
Playstation 3 20gb w/ WD 160gb external
Dish Vip622 (Turbo HD + Premiums) w/My Book 500gb External, Mybook 750gb External, WD 250gb External
Sony STR-DG 510 Receiver

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. "

Frank Sinatra

#20 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:17 AM

Not sure thats worth 600$.

$600 for what?

spam firewall