Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Local HD Inconsistencies

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mattblade

mattblade

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:53 PM

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, but I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me understand the local HD DMA layout a little better.

I am interested in finding out why Time Warner cable for the zip code 44505 which equates to Trumbull county Ohio has the Cleveland and Youngstown local channels both in SD and HD in their current lineup. But both D* and E* only offer the Youngstown SD feeds for the same zip code.

If the satellite providers cannot provide the Cleveland channels to my address, why is Time Warner cable allowed to?
2 HR20-700's - Network Connected
Slimline Dish
WB68 6x8 Multiswitch

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Teronzhul

Teronzhul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:12 PM

It isn't that they aren't allowed to. Broadcasting HD locals to every market is a daunting task via satellite. The technical issues will be mostly resolved once D11 is active, but that also assumes that D* has made contractual agreements with all the stations in that DMA. The only people who really know the answer to your question all work for D* and won't post an answer on this board.
HR23-700 on Vizio 42glf +swmlnb to 3 D12-700

#3 OFFLINE   beavis

beavis

Icon

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:26 PM

Blame the FCC, SHVERA, and Nielsen.

#4 OFFLINE   CrazyforYeshua

CrazyforYeshua

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:32 AM

I also live in Ohio, very near 44505, and a friend switched from TW to Dish, and that was her main gripe. No channel 8 from Cleveland.(Andre' Bernier)
I don't look for D* to carry any of Cleveland around here, we have Youngstown locals, and except for 62, they're all the same.

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:42 AM

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, but I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me understand the local HD DMA layout a little better.

I am interested in finding out why Time Warner cable for the zip code 44505 which equates to Trumbull county Ohio has the Cleveland and Youngstown local channels both in SD and HD in their current lineup. But both D* and E* only offer the Youngstown SD feeds for the same zip code.

If the satellite providers cannot provide the Cleveland channels to my address, why is Time Warner cable allowed to?

What everyone else said, and add to it that a few years ago cable companies lobbied HARD to make sure the sat providers couldnt offer more local areas to their subscribers.

#6 OFFLINE   JDubbs413

JDubbs413

Icon

• Registered
  • 877 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:08 AM

I live in Mansfield, Ohio and had to give up the Columbus locals when I switched to DirecTV. We had both Columbus and Cleveland with TWC.
5-LNB Slimline Dish
1 Zinwell WB68
1 HR20-700
1 R22-200
1 R15-500
1 D11-500

1 Slingbox Solo

Proud DirecTV Subscriber Since September 5, 2007.

spam firewall