Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DTV hoarked Final Four recording

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   timki

timki

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:11 AM

I setup my HD-DVR to record the Final Four championship game and happily came home to watch it. I pressed "list" with great anticipation only to see a message telling me that I'd not signed up for DVR service. As instructed, I visited to DTV.com and found that I do indeed have service. I rebooted the box and, not surprisingly, found that the game hadn't recorded. I called DTV and they offered me $15 for my troubles. I spend almost $2200/year on dtv and they offered me $15. Wow...just wow.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ctaranto

ctaranto

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:19 AM

I spend almost $2200/year on dtv...

This is the part that "wow's" me.

-Craig

Subscriber since Feb 2008
D* Receivers: HR21-700 w/1TB eSATA, HR24-100, HR21-700
Dish: Slimline + International@95 (w/SWM-16), Roof-mount
TV: 54" Panasonic G10 Plasma, 50" Panasonic ST30 Plasma, JVC 20" tube
Audio: Denon AVR1910
Speakers: Energy Take Classic x 7, BIC America H100 12" sub
Control: Home Theater Master MX-500
Place Shifting: Slingbox Pro-HD

#3 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,604 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:27 AM

This is the part that "wow's" me.

-Craig

That caught my attention as well. WOW indeed.

That said, I empathize with the OP to miss a critical recording that was scheduled. The only compensation news is that the final four usually comes out on DVD each year and he can watch it that way. In the meantime...$15 seems like a small restitution for the "pain and suffering". :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#4 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:15 AM

While I empathize with the OP (and I really don't make a habit of jumping on first time posters), what exactly would you expect DirecTV to do to make you feel "taken care of"?

The $2,200 a year didn't necessarily phase me (with my base package, additional receivers, Sunday Ticket w/SuperFan, MMA events I could see myself approaching that if I had that kind of money to spend). I have several DVRs. For something that I would consider this big I generally make sure I've got it set to record on more than just one. Doesn't always guarantee a recording, though.

It doesn't appear that the OP called DirecTV LOOKING for compensation, but to spit on $15? I wouldn't have expected for DirecTV to do anything about it. Maybe that's just me.

Wow....just wow.

#5 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:55 AM

While I empathize with the OP (and I really don't make a habit of jumping on first time posters), what exactly would you expect DirecTV to do to make you feel "taken care of"?

The $2,200 a year didn't necessarily phase me (with my base package, additional receivers, Sunday Ticket w/SuperFan, MMA events I could see myself approaching that if I had that kind of money to spend). I have several DVRs. For something that I would consider this big I generally make sure I've got it set to record on more than just one. Doesn't always guarantee a recording, though.

It doesn't appear that the OP called DirecTV LOOKING for compensation, but to spit on $15? I wouldn't have expected for DirecTV to do anything about it. Maybe that's just me.

Wow....just wow.

I wouldn't expect DirecTV to do anything about it either...that's their standard. If it were my company and this customer was spending that much annually I'd apologize and send them a copy of the official DVD or offer them the college package next season for free.

We're all human and imperfect. We're going to make mistakes. It's how we react and correct those mistakes that matters.

#6 OFFLINE   cowboys2002

cowboys2002

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:10 AM

Just the other night (3/31/08), the local feed for the Astros Game experienced problems on my HR21-700. It was not a unit issue or a DTV as the staions signa went out using OTA also.

Last Friday, the local CBS signal went out 5 minutes into numbers. This was the case on my HR21-700 and Directivo Series 2 units and OTA, again, not totally (if at all) DTV's fault.

In the first case, DTV put a disclaimer up telling us to contact the station. No problem as I wasn't that interested in watching the Astros anyway.

In the second case, I have been waiting to watch Numbers. No problem either, as I simply watched a movie instead and then went online the next day to catch the episode.

Was either situation "worthy" of anything more than an apology?

It doesn't matter if you spend $68 a month or $180 a month or if you have been with them since the USSB days.

And I thought the top package was only $99.99 (plus $10 for HD). Where is this $2,200 a year or $183.33 a moth. How many extra receivers does the OP have!!!

#7 OFFLINE   cowboys2002

cowboys2002

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:11 AM

I wouldn't expect DirecTV to do anything about it either...that's their standard. If it were my company and this customer was spending that much annually I'd apologize and send them a copy of the official DVD or offer them the college package next season for free.

We're all human and imperfect. We're going to make mistakes. It's how we react and correct those mistakes that matters.

Sending the DVD is worth $15-25 dollars and would be a nice gesture. But somehow, I don't think that will be enough for the OP.

Kind of reminds e of the judge who sued his cleaner for all that money for misplacing a pair of slacks.

#8 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:27 AM

Sigh. Another first time poster who apparently signed up for the express reason to vent and nothing else. Oh well. At least he didn't go off on a lawsuit rant.

Anyway, what would he expect them to do ? They can't reverse time. I'd have double checked that it worked before-hand, though, if it was that important.

$2200 on TV ? Gadzooks - I recently dropped some service because I though $1200 was an obscene amount to spend on TV per year.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#9 OFFLINE   Upstream

Upstream

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:36 AM

Timki -- the Kansas-Memphis game is being reaired early tomorrow morning (Wed Apr 9, 3 am ET) on CBS College Sports (formerly CSTV). You can record the game then.

If you don't get CBS College Sports, maybe take the $15 that DirecTV is giving you, and sign up for the $12 Sports Pak for one month. Just make sure you don't cancel the Sports Pak early, or you will be hit with a $10 early cancellation fee.

Also, make sure you pad the end of the game. You may also want to duplicate the recording on a VCR or DVD recorder, just in case you DVR messes up again.

If you miss the Apr 9 airing, you can record the game on CBSCS Thur Apr 10 at 9:00 pm ET.

#10 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:42 AM

I've got news for you... Even if you did get it recorded, if you didn't add extra time or record the show immediately after, you're recording would have cut out right on the free throw w/ 10.8 seconds left. Fortunately, I recorded the local post game show (for this exact reason) and got to see the miracle shot and the OT. What a game!

#11 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:04 AM

Sigh. Another first time poster who apparently signed up for the express reason to vent and nothing else. Oh well. At least he didn't go off on a lawsuit rant.

Anyway, what would he expect them to do ? They can't reverse time. I'd have double checked that it worked before-hand, though, if it was that important.

$2200 on TV ? Gadzooks - I recently dropped some service because I though $1200 was an obscene amount to spend on TV per year.

I just checked mine, Premium, HD, Service contract, Mag, 5 extra receivers, ST with SF=$2210. Got SF free so far though.

#12 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:05 AM

I've got news for you... Even if you did get it recorded, if you didn't add extra time or record the show immediately after, you're recording would have cut out right on the free throw w/ 10.8 seconds left.

I thought padding sports was common knowledge?

All sporting events need to padded. All of them.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#13 OFFLINE   timki

timki

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:43 PM

Thanks for the many replies. Not looking for relief so much as just needing to vent. I checked my numbers and my $2200 estimate was a little off. I'm spending 2k/year :-P. All TVs have DVRs...but I only tried to record on the one and only HD DVR. My bad I suppose...

Thanks for the tip on trying to catch the Apr 9 recording. That should work for me...

#14 OFFLINE   tadtam

tadtam

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:51 PM

On March, 25th D* lost the signal for the Red Sox opener in Japan. I took off from work and was ready at 5:30AM to watch this historic MLB event. You can imagine my dismay when there was no signal, I ran around trying to determine if it was me or D*. Calling them did not help because you could not get through. I finally found the answer on their website under technical-help forums. It was a glitch in the uplink. On those forums if you have 10 replies it is a lot. This problem had 108 replies.... Did I get over it - YES. Did I think about cancelling my subscription - NO. I have been a member since 1994 (paid $900 for install and first rcvr).
Believe me you will survive...
“There are 10 kinds of people in this world,
those who know binary and those who don't."

#15 OFFLINE   gregjones

gregjones

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:08 AM

Thanks for the many replies. Not looking for relief so much as just needing to vent. I checked my numbers and my $2200 estimate was a little off. I'm spending 2k/year :-P. All TVs have DVRs...but I only tried to record on the one and only HD DVR. My bad I suppose...

Thanks for the tip on trying to catch the Apr 9 recording. That should work for me...

Are you by chance running a CE?

#16 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:06 AM

:welcome_s ;) Welcome to the Forum.

spam firewall