Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Weird EHD issue.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Spike375

Spike375

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

I just tried plugging my EHD into my receiver and tried to access it and it said that it was configured for another receiver. It asked to update it for the new receiver.

The problem is this is the same receiver that I first activated the EHD capability on.

Any idea why it would be saying this? Is it possible that the receiver's number changed and that's why it thinks its a new receiver? I don't really want to waste 1 of the 3 moves to the same receiver.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:33 PM

I just tried plugging my EHD into my receiver and tried to access it and it said that it was configured for another receiver. It asked to update it for the new receiver.

The problem is this is the same receiver that I first activated the EHD capability on.

Any idea why it would be saying this? Is it possible that the receiver's number changed and that's why it thinks its a new receiver? I don't really want to waste 1 of the 3 moves to the same receiver.

If you have a ViP622, all sorts of weird things happen with the EHD. If you don't plan on swapping the EHD between receivers, I would go ahead and accept the update. But, as I stated, the ViP622's are a little unpredictable when it comes to the EHD.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#3 OFFLINE   Spike375

Spike375

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:38 PM

If you have a ViP622, all sorts of weird things happen with the EHD. If you don't plan on swapping the EHD between receivers, I would go ahead and accept the update. But, as I stated, the ViP622's are a little unpredictable when it comes to the EHD.

Yes I do have a ViP622, I forgot to mention that. I may try reseting the receiver first, but i may have to accept the update.

#4 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:54 PM

If you still get that and are still concerned with using up one of your moves and want to 'reset' then you could do the following ... Transfer everything back to your 622 (assuming you have the room), reformat the hard drive (I would plug it into a computer and repartition it for that OS and then move it back to the 622), and then transfer the content back to the 622.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#5 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:49 PM

If you still get that and are still concerned with using up one of your moves and want to 'reset' then you could do the following ... Transfer everything back to your 622 (assuming you have the room), reformat the hard drive (I would plug it into a computer and repartition it for that OS and then move it back to the 622), and then transfer the content back to the 622.

I believe once you reach three swaps, there's an automatic reformat. I thought my drive was corrupt and wanted the receiver to reformat it, but it never offered. I must have swapped five or six times (it was not empty). My computer wouldn't recognize the drive either.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#6 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:58 PM

I believe once you reach three swaps, there's an automatic reformat.

Correct, but Spike375 was concerned about using up one of his 3 'swaps' when in reality he was not moving to a new receiver. I was explaining the only way, I'm aware of, to reset that counter, which is to reformat the drive.
Rob

#7 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:01 PM

Correct, but Spike375 was concerned about using up one of his 3 'swaps' when in reality he was not moving to a new receiver. I was explaining the only way, I'm aware of, to reset that counter, which is to reformat the drive.

As I stated earlier, if there is only one receiver in the equation, it shouldn't hurt to use up one of the three swaps. Hopefully, Dish will make good on their intent to give us an "account key" so we can swap as many times as we want.

#8 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:09 PM

As I stated earlier, if there is only one receiver in the equation, it shouldn't hurt to use up one of the three swaps. Hopefully, Dish will make good on their intent to give us an "account key" so we can swap as many times as we want.

Right, it shouldn't, but again I was giving him an option if he is concerned with that 1 swap being recorded.

i.e. if it was me and my hard drive was mostly empty and I had the room I would do this process now, to make sure I still had my 3 swaps available. Minimizing the risk of getting burned potentially down the road when you may get a replacement receiver or 2 or upgrade or who knows. If my 622 internal drive was full or my external drive was too full to move back to my 622 then I probably wouldn't bother at this point.
Rob

#9 OFFLINE   Spike375

Spike375

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:38 PM

I ended up trying to do both a soft and hard reset, but neither worked. I had to accept the update because it's too much too move back to the internal.

Still seem to be having problems with it though. I seem to be having the same problem that was posted in another thread where If I try to play a movie from the EHD it stops 20 mins in like the movie ended. It also skips every few minutes during playback of a movie.

It also doesn't see all of the events on the EHD after the first time I access it after plugging it in. Could it have anything to do with the EHD going into automatic sleep mode?

I don't know if I should try to trade it in for a new receiver or wait for a new firmware to possibly fix it.

This is just about the only problem I've had with the receiver since I got it about 2 years ago.

#10 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:44 PM

I ended up trying to do both a soft and hard reset, but neither worked. I had to accept the update because it's too much too move back to the internal.

Still seem to be having problems with it though. I seem to be having the same problem that was posted in another thread where If I try to play a movie from the EHD it stops 20 mins in like the movie ended. It also skips every few minutes during playback of a movie.

It also doesn't see all of the events on the EHD after the first time I access it after plugging it in. Could it have anything to do with the EHD going into automatic sleep mode?

I don't know if I should try to trade it in for a new receiver or wait for a new firmware to possibly fix it.

This is just about the only problem I've had with the receiver since I got it about 2 years ago.

It's firmware version L4.49 that's causing the problem. Many of us here have the same exact problem.

#11 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:19 PM

I had the same message come up. I excepted it and went into the EHD then I went back out and tried to go back in and the same message came up again. Stating that the EHD is not configured with this receiver, but the EHD has never been moved or unpluged. This is a problem with 4.49

I also has my recording locked and all of the favorites had all of the chanels in them. It has been a real pain to fix these problem.
RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#12 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:24 PM

The same thing just happened to me today with one of my two EHD's on my 722. I just groaned and accepted the "update." No way I can move the 80+ movies back.

The other hard drive was on the system over night. When I put it back on, it worked fine. But I haven't checked either in terms of playback.

When I'm "annoyed" enough at Dish over the "box advantages that don't work reliably" and the "no-HD" issues, I'll have two nice backup drives for our computers.:mad:

#13 OFFLINE   BrianG

BrianG

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:10 PM

The same thing just happened to me today with one of my two EHD's on my 722. I just groaned and accepted the "update." No way I can move the 80+ movies back.

The other hard drive was on the system over night. When I put it back on, it worked fine. But I haven't checked either in terms of playback.

When I'm "annoyed" enough at Dish over the "box advantages that don't work reliably" and the "no-HD" issues, I'll have two nice backup drives for our computers.:mad:

The same thing happened to me. ViP-622 with one, and only one, EHD (Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750 GB). If I use up one of my 3, and this happens 2 more times then I lose a lot of saved material. The EHD is the only thing that has kept me from jumping ship over other issues such as the lack of some National HD channels. I am very quickly losing my patience with Dish.
:mad:

#14 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:27 PM

The same thing happened to me. ViP-622 with one, and only one, EHD (Seagate FreeAgent Pro 750 GB). If I use up one of my 3, and this happens 2 more times then I lose a lot of saved material. The EHD is the only thing that has kept me from jumping ship over other issues such as the lack of some National HD channels. I am very quickly losing my patience with Dish.
:mad:

Dish has stated that the Seagate FreeAgent is a problem with the ViP622. What they don't state is that there is a problem with firmware release L4.49 and a few of the model ViP622 receivers with all the external hard drives.

#15 OFFLINE   SamSony

SamSony

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:04 AM

I'm having the same problem with my ViP622, but with 11 external hard drives. Some of them is Maxtor, some are Western Digital and some are Seagate. The total is more than 6 terra bytes. So copying them all back to the internal drive and reformating the EHD's is not going to be a cure for me. Hopefully Dish will a have fix before my three transfers are used up.:mad: :mad: :mad:

#16 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:09 AM

Dish has stated that the Seagate FreeAgent is a problem with the ViP622. What they don't state is that there is a problem with firmware release L4.49 and a few of the model ViP622 receivers with all the external hard drives.

Sorry, I cut off my signature. As you can see I have a 722 with two Western Digital MyBook Essential 750GB Hard Drives. This is pretty much the WD drive that has been successful with both the 622 and 722. It doesn't surprise me that this problem occurs. The drives are removable, connected via USB to a computer that gets rebooted remotely, and the firmware and software have to guarentee digital rights management. Combine that with the idea that you should be able to use most any drive in a USB case, and you have a recipe for intermittant system gitches. And because it is my option and my hardware, how can I blame Dish?:rolleyes:

After all Dish has so much else going for them these days, why worry about the reliability of the little extras their ViP series has to offer. Of course, their competitor had to recall their latest box release.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#17 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:47 AM

And because it is my option and my hardware, how can I blame Dish?

You can blame Dish for the "gotcha" in L4.49 that renders the external hard drive option useless on certain hardware configurations on the ViP622. I know they are looking into the problem but it seems to me that they should have isolated it by now. I believe that since it doesn't affect every ViP622, they aren't too serious about fixing it. I remember someone posted that they had sent their receiver to tech support so they could analyze it. They should be able to check the production run and tell how many ViP622's are affected and where they are. That is if I'm correct about what's causing the problem.
IMO, Dish ignores problems that affect a small percentage of the users. I see no solution to the EHD problem anytime soon, if ever. If the users gets frustrated enough, there's an upgrade path.
:rant:

#18 OFFLINE   baronsteffan

baronsteffan

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:08 PM

I had the same message come up. I excepted it and went into the EHD then I went back out and tried to go back in and the same message came up again. Stating that the EHD is not configured with this receiver, but the EHD has never been moved or unpluged. This is a problem with 4.49

I also has my recording locked and all of the favorites had all of the chanels in them. It has been a real pain to fix these problem.

I just got bit by this last night. I have two drives (Seagate 500GB Free Agent), and one of them is now doing the "not authorized" message. 5 calls to Dish, 3 dropped calls to Dish accomplished worst than nothing. I only have one receiver, the 622 has not failed (unlike the 3 prior 522's), the drives have only been on this system.

I got the first message - "Not authorized, press OK to continue", so I call Dish Tech Support. After two dropped calls I actually got to somebody which 1/2 a clue, who convinced me to press OK. That got me into the USB menu, so I said OK and hung up.

When I tried to copy files from the DVR to the DISK I got a "Not Authorized, format required, Press OK to continue (msg #866)". Called back, got a complete bozo, after 20 minutes finally got a little info - saying that I had hit my 3 swap limit and the only option was to reformat the drive. And that is where it lies. 400 GB worth of movies trapped on a drive that I can't access.

Another hour on the phone provided no new insights. I would have been better off surfing the net from the beginning, which I did this morning and found this thread. I might have been able to read the programs back on the the DVR and write them to a different external drive.

I'm going to leave the drive alone for a while and see if Dish actually fixes the problem.

Needless to say I'm pissed. And more than a little concerned about the data on my other external drive.

#19 OFFLINE   SamSony

SamSony

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:41 PM

:mad: :mad: :mad: I just got off the phone with a service rep. at dish and he turned in a customer service problem to engineering. He also said that if more customers would call in complaining about the EHD reauthorizing problem, the more likely engineering is to do something about it. :mad: :mad: :mad:

#20 OFFLINE   Sandman

Sandman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:08 PM

Go to diagnostics, counters, look at the household key, there are numbers there where before it was all zeros, if you have 2 receivers 622/722 check the household key on both, they should be the same, this may be the start of swapping and eliminating the 3 swap limit

Bob

spam firewall