Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OTA antenna recommendation

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   0pusX

0pusX

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:22 PM

I live about 30 or so miles from my closest TV stations. Im looking for an indoor antenna to get my local HD's. Do any of the $50 range ones work worth a darn?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:31 PM

Unless you can see the lights flashing on the towers from where the antenna will sit, you're probably not going to like the result.

#3 OFFLINE   0pusX

0pusX

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:20 PM

thats what i figured. thanks anyways.

#4 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,829 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:43 PM

Go HERE - http://www.avsforum....ad.php?t=453241 - and find your local thread. I'd suggest doing some reading before just "posting"

use www.tvfool.com and/or www.antennaweb.org to get your self a preliminery idea of what outside antenna you need.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,898 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:44 PM

I live about 30 or so miles from my closest TV stations. Im looking for an indoor antenna to get my local HD's. Do any of the $50 range ones work worth a darn?

It's always worth a try. I get pretty solid reception with using my Dish remote antenna connected to the antenna port! I added a little height and diplexed in a Terk directional and get everything I need locally.

What I always recommend when trying antennas is that you purchase from somewhere like Radio Shack that has a very liberal return policy. This will allow you to try multiple antenna types, even try diplexing more than one, and try amplified vs non-amplified and see if anything works for you. As long as you can return anything that doesn't give satisfactory results, all you will be out is a little time and some gas money.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   yoyo1010

yoyo1010

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:46 PM

If you are really serious about getting strong signal strenths with fewer drop outs, then the only real way to go is an out door antenna with a pre-amp on a pole or tower at least 20 in thr air. As far as what antenna, the best (opinion) would be a channel master CM4228 and pramp with a rotator on a 30' tower. Hard to beat

#7 OFFLINE   southofi-10

southofi-10

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:35 PM

I found this info very helpfull.
As far as uhf antennas,you can't bet 4 bays wether they are channel master,winegard,or antennacraft.(in my opinion)Antennacraft makes some very nice uhf antennas.

#8 OFFLINE   southofi-10

southofi-10

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:56 PM

And "scooper" ---- Thanks for the links

#9 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,829 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:17 PM

A "more appropriate" forum for these type questions.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#10 OFFLINE   DJ Lon

DJ Lon

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:55 PM

...purchase from somewhere like Radio Shack that has a very liberal return policy. This will allow you to try multiple antenna types, even try diplexing more than one, and try amplified vs non-amplified and see if anything works for you...

That's what I ended up doing with indoor ones and none were satisfactory. I decided to put back my outdoor one and the U-75R for $30 works perfectly. I even have it split between the Dish receiver and the DTV converter hooked up to my VCR and still get good signal even without an amplifier.

Dish Network sub 4/2005-7/2010 · DirecTV sub 7/2010-present · HR34/700 (on 5th replacement, 2014),
HR24/500 (orig install, 2010), HR24/100 (equip upgr, 2011), HR24/100 (equip upgr, 2014) · Yes, 11 tuners! biggrin.gif

#11 OFFLINE   airops2

airops2

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:07 PM

This is my first post, I've built the best HDTV ant. :) (cost $5.00) that I have ever tried even better than any store bought ant. I stacked two side by side thus creating a perfect replica of a DB-8. Signal strength of 100% on all of my local OTA HDTV stations in my area, tower farm is approximately 40 miles away. I've attached a PDF with the specs so that you guys can build one. It really works great......I have it mounted against the wall approximatly 8' off the ground.

Attached Files

Protected By... spam firewall...And...