Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR21-700 internet connection problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   00derek

00derek

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:47 PM

I've been all over the forum and have not found a solution which fixed my problem so I'm looking for some assistance - I'm sure my problem is fixable. What am I missing or doing wrong?

PROBLEM STATEMENT; my HR21-700 DVR cannot connect to the internet.

A "verbal" diagram of my network;

COX isp
SCIENTIFIC ATLANTIC cable modem
connected by CAT5 to
NETGEAR WGT 624 wireless router
connected by CAT5 to
SLINGBOX SlingLink powerline ethernet adapter (1-port)
connected by home power wiring to
SLINGBOX SlingLink powerline ethernet adapter (4-port)
connected by CAT5 to
HR21-700 AND Slingbox Solo.

Most of you will know this but the Slingbox Solo is a device that streams live audio/video from the DVR to the internet.

What is critical to understand is that when I disconnect the HR21 from the ethernet adapter, the Slingbox works perfectly - I can watch the DVR stream from any computer on my network, and by using my laptop on any outside network where it has an internet connection. So I think that validates that my network is set-up correctly, at least as far as what the Slingbox requires. When I connect the DVR to the ethernet adapter it can't get connected (even after rebooting all network components) and the Slingbox loses it's connection.

The router is configured as a DHCP server;
Gateway 192.168.0.1
SUBNET 255.255.255.0
DNS 192.168.0.1
IP address range is 192.168.0.2 ~ 192.168.0.237

The 3 computers on my network have no problems and display the above configuration values in their LAN properties.

I originally had fixed IP addresses (per MAC address) for each computer and everything worked fine. When the DVR stopped working I removed all the fixed IP definitions and did the following more than once;

Restore network defaults on the HR21
power off HR21, modem, router, both powerline adapters
re-start modem, then router, then 1port adapter, then 4port adapter, then HR21.

after the HR21 finishes booting, in Advanced setup, the IP address doesn't match the range specified by my router, the gateway and DNS fields are blank and the subnet address is incomplete (255.255.0.0).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Directv HR21-700 DVR
Yamaha RX-V750 AV receiver
Sony Bravia KDL-52XBR4 TV
Panasonic DMR-ES25 DVD
PS3 160GB
Wii
Linksys E3200 router
Slingbox Solo
Slinglink Turbo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   brucegrr

brucegrr

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNey, Ohio

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:09 PM

Are you able to set a static IP address on the DVR?

Firewall? If you turn off the firewall does the DVR work? Your router likely has a hardware firewall and if you have a software firewall you have two points of conflict.

#3 OFFLINE   TomF

TomF

Icon

• Registered
  • 744 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:43 PM

I don't know how hard you looked, but there have been several posts about people not being able to get their HR2x to network correctly.

Search by my user name for my experiences with this.

Bottom line: All my HR2xs have a static IP address but this didn't work initially.
Tom

Family Room:
Panasonic
TC-P65GT50 Plasma 3D HDTV | Onkyo TX-NR809 Receiver
- HR34-700 | HR21-200 | HR21-700
Master Bedroom:
Panasonic TH-42PC77U Plasma 720p HDTV | Sony STR-DG510 Receiver
- Genie C31 Client
Guest Bedroom:
Vizio E320-A1 LED 720p HDTV
- Genie C31 Client

#4 OFFLINE   00derek

00derek

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:14 PM

OK, thanks for the responses. I haven't had a chance yet to act on them. But it looks like I don't need to...

I rebooted the DVR before leaving for work but didn't wait to see what would happen. I came home from work, and the DVR is connected to the internet, and the Media share option is in the main menu. Downloading VOD programming OK.

In advanced setup;
IP address is 192.168.0.3 (just what the router settings should do)
subnet 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1
DNS 192.168.0.1

also, in the list of devices attached to the router, the DVR appears as "DIRECTV-HR21-289B8D" the 289B8D is the last part of the MAC address; is that name appearing in the router typical for working set-ups?

So far so good. I plugged in the ethernet cable for the Slingbox, and it's still working.

All good except I don't really know what I was doing wrong, except having reserved IP addresses. Also, a big question; is it necessary to reboot every device on the network to get the DVR connected?
Directv HR21-700 DVR
Yamaha RX-V750 AV receiver
Sony Bravia KDL-52XBR4 TV
Panasonic DMR-ES25 DVD
PS3 160GB
Wii
Linksys E3200 router
Slingbox Solo
Slinglink Turbo

spam firewall