Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish 500 and Satellite 129

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   danmiller3

danmiller3

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:35 PM

Hi there -
I suspect this is a very dumb question, so forgive me.

We had Dish Network installed last year right around this time. We have a ViP 622 HD/DVR. It's a 500 dish pointed at 129.

We're in Cleveland and I understand from other postings that local HD will FINALLY be available tomorrow on Satellite 61.5?

Do I have to get a new dish? When I change the satellite in the settings no signal comes in.

This is very aggravating to me as Dish "assured" me a year ago local HD was coming within a few months and it has now been over a year. I refuse to pay them more money to get these channels.

Appreciate any info.

--Dan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:00 PM

I would hope you have a Dish 1000 and not a Dish 500 since some HD is on 110 and if you have a Dish 500 getting 119 and 129 you would be missing many channels including many key HD channels such as ESPN HD, HD Net, HD Net Movies, TNT HD and Discovery HD Theater. If you call Dish tomorrow, they will give you info in order to add 61.5 to your system. Cleveland HD was turned on today, anyone in Cleveland dma with 61.5 can watch them now.

#3 OFFLINE   Raymie

Raymie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:21 PM

Get a 1000 and a 61.5 wing dish to get all the HD, STO on 129, locals, HD locals, etc.

Raymie | Proprietor, EKB News Monitor
Keep current with the News Monitor | Uplink Report Highlights, Recap of the Recap, and more
New: Retransmission consent disputes noticeboard

#4 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:48 AM

Unlike the other posters I believe you have a DISH 500 just for the 129 satellite combined with another DISH 500 for 110 & 119. If correct DISH will need to reaim your 129 dish to get 61.5 for HD locals and the rest of your HD channels.

#5 OFFLINE   danmiller3

danmiller3

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 07:53 AM

Unlike the other posters I believe you have a DISH 500 just for the 129 satellite combined with another DISH 500 for 110 & 119. If correct DISH will need to reaim your 129 dish to get 61.5 for HD locals and the rest of your HD channels.

I think you're right. I spoke to an unexpectedly helpful tech rep this morning. She said they have to come out and put another wing dish on for 61.5.

It's a little baffling to me how Dish operates, but as long as they get it working, I'm fine. She said normally there is a $60 charge, but I didn't even have to ask to have it waived, she did it automatically.

#6 OFFLINE   mattfast1

mattfast1

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:53 AM

Hey look, another CSR who finds it unacceptable to charge a customer because we suck at planning ahead. Good for you.

That being said, even though the work order says '20" Dish Kit, DPTwin LNBF, 61.5 Orbit, 61.5 Install, Truck Roll, DPP44', the tech will probably get out there and just repoint your existing 129 dish, since you already have two separate dishes. Then he'll take your 20" Dish Kit and DPP44 and pawn it on eBay. Everyone wins! :D
~ mattfast1 ~

Please note that none of my opinions here are necessarily the opinion of my employer (DISH Network) or of Echostar Holdings Corporation (EHC). For these opinions, please visit DishNetwork.com or Echostar.com.

#7 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:09 PM

Whatever you do, don't let them uninstall 129! FSN HD & STO HD are on 129. Unless/until they move or mirror our HD RSN's 129 will still be a necessity here in Cleveland.

It's a no-brainer for E* to move the Cleveland HD RSN feeds to 61.5 since the HD locals are there. The question is how long before they actually make that move.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#8 OFFLINE   scoobyxj

scoobyxj

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:19 PM

More than likely if your using two dishes to get your current programming you're already on the 61.5 because the 129* had a bad line of sight, and could not be used to get the HD. IIRC the Cleavland dma is on the 119* (it's not on the 129 as of right now anyway I can assure you on that). If you go to your System Info screen (menu 6-1-3 on the TV1 remote) it will tell you your current orbitals your picking up, what LNBF's you have, and if any switches in the system. If you see you have the 61.5 orbital in your system info screen. You can just Call Dish Network and have them send the receiver a hit to activate the HD locals.

#9 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:16 PM

More than likely if your using two dishes to get your current programming you're already on the 61.5 because the 129* had a bad line of sight, and could not be used to get the HD. IIRC the Cleavland dma is on the 119* (it's not on the 129 as of right now anyway I can assure you on that). If you go to your System Info screen (menu 6-1-3 on the TV1 remote) it will tell you your current orbitals your picking up, what LNBF's you have, and if any switches in the system. If you see you have the 61.5 orbital in your system info screen. You can just Call Dish Network and have them send the receiver a hit to activate the HD locals.

The SD Cleveland DMA is on 110 spotbeam 31. The HD "Big 4" Cleveland locals are on 61. 5. The only channels exclusive to 129 that are of interest to Clevelanders is STO HD & FSN Ohio HD.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

spam firewall