Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

XM vs Sirius Audio Quality

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tedb3rd

tedb3rd

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:25 PM

I'm looking for feedback from anybody who has had XM and Sirius in their car. What is your thought re: audio quality (compression ratio) between the two providers?

I have a Saturn w/factory intalled XM. I installed a Sirius receiver (FM Modulator) a long time ago because I personally liked Sirius's content better. I recently dropped my Sirius service and went for XM, believing that I would get better sound quality with a 'direct connection' (as opposed to FM modulator). However, the compression with XM seems very high and I'm considering switching back to Sirius.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:38 PM

FM modulators suck, especially the wireless ones. I have both XM and Sirius in my truck, both plug and play receivers, used to use the FM modulators, then bought a dual auxiliary input adaptor for my factory radio and have had then hooked up that way ever since. Doing A/B comparisons is very easy, Sirius used to sound better to me, but then when XM updated their processing last summer that changed. I don’t think XM sounds better then Sirius now, while they sound different, but to me neither is ‘better’. At home I have another Sirius plug and play receiver, and I use the built in XM tuner in my Sony home theater receiver, XM sounds more pleasing to my ears, but again, it’s not really better then Sirius.

To expand this a little, I’ve done A/B comparisons on similar channels. To me, Watercolors on XM sounds better then Jazz Café on Sirius, Classic Rewind on Sirius sounds better then Big Tracks on XM, and so on.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#3 OFFLINE   jjlawyer

jjlawyer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:11 PM

I had XM in a GM car and Sirius with a direct sportster or something. I also have Sirius in BMW. I had the GM car first and never noticed any sound quality problem. Then when I got the sportster, I noticed that it sounded terrible. A lot of digital compression, like a 64k mp3. Maybe 96k on the bst channels. In the BMW, the sound is not nearly as compressed. It sounds fine. So i think XM gets the nod from me. None of them sound as good as FM.

#4 OFFLINE   Hoxxx

Hoxxx

Cool Member/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:51 PM

I'm looking for feedback from anybody who has had XM and Sirius in their car. What is your thought re: audio quality (compression ratio) between the two providers?

I have a Saturn w/factory intalled XM. I installed a Sirius receiver (FM Modulator) a long time ago because I personally liked Sirius's content better. I recently dropped my Sirius service and went for XM, believing that I would get better sound quality with a 'direct connection' (as opposed to FM modulator). However, the compression with XM seems very high and I'm considering switching back to Sirius.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

My first Sat Radio was XM because it works inside a metal building. Sirius will not work there. So because of that I have been an XM sub .
1:HR20 with a eSATA-750 gb, 1:HR20, 3:H20's,
Samsung 56" DLP HLT5689S,
Samsung 32" LCD LNR328W,
Sharp 20" LCD LC-20SH20U,
Polaroid 17" LCD FLM-1511,
Magnavox 15" LCD
Playstation 3, XBOX 360,
Toshiba HD-XA2, Onkyo TX-SR606, Mirage Sound System with Sub, (((XM))) Sub since 3/6/2003,
Using 1 MyFi's, and a Lucerne with Factory XM

#5 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:43 PM

I rent cars almost every week. Sometimes it has Sirius, sometimes XM (both are direct input - factory installed). I've never noticed a difference between the two.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#6 OFFLINE   Marriner

Marriner

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:18 PM

I have a built in Sirius reciever in an explorer i bought recently. I was disappointed in the sound quality. It sounds like an mp3 incoded at 64k. A lot of compression artifacts.
ViP722K with OTA tuner (Dual Mode SW L6.86), Western Digital 1 Tb USB hard drive, Sharp LC-52D64U HD TV, Sony V-333ES, Bose AM-10. ViP722K with OTA tuner (Dual Mode SW L6.86), Sling Adapter, Maxtor OneTouch 3 750 Gb hard drive,Vizio E422VA, Sharp 1-bit SD-HX500 surround.

#7 OFFLINE   ChrisBMoore

ChrisBMoore

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 12:17 PM

I know your question was more in regards to sound quality than reception, but I just wanted to share my input on the reception end. I have had both XM and Sirius and I find that with XM the reception is much more spotty than with Sirius. I definitely lost my signal with both services on some occassions, but sometimes I lose XM signal when there seems to be no reason that I should. I also think Sirius's format is better than XM, but thats more of a personal preference than actual facts of how the sound itself is. :hurah: Just my thoughts

Protected By... spam firewall...And...