Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Superstation Package

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Registered
  • 603 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:15 PM

Seems to me that one thing Charlie could do is to offer this package in HD (WPIX11, KTLA5, WWOR9). It would be a selling point since it is NOT available on Directv. It's about the only thing I can see that is working in his favor. Otherwise Directv is stomping on him.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:26 PM

E* is now offering the Lin owned local stations in HD, this is something that D* does not have.

#3 OFFLINE   levibluewa

levibluewa

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 603 posts
  • LocationWA, OR, CA

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:54 PM

LIN?

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,577 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:15 PM

http://www.lintv.com...television.html

A group of TV stations covering 9% of US TV households.

AUSTIN, TEXAS
KXAN-TV NBC
KNVA-TV CW
KBVO-CA TELE

ALBUQUERQUE, NEW MEXICO
KRQE-TV CBS
KASA-TV FOX

MOBILE, ALABAMA/PENSACOLA, FLORIDA
WALA-TV FOX
WBPG-TV CW

GREEN BAY, WISCONSIN
WLUK-TV FOX

GRAND RAPIDS-BATTLE CREEK, MICHIGAN
WOOD-TV NBC
WOTV-TV ABC
WXSP-TV MNT

BUFFALO, NEW YORK
WIVB-TV CBS
WNLO-TV CW

INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA
WISH-TV CBS
WNDY-TV MNT
WIIH-CA UNI

FT. WAYNE, INDIANA
WANE-TV CBS

LAFAYETTE, INDIANA
WLFI-TV CBS

TERRE HAUTE, INDIANA
WTHI-TV CBS

DAYTON, OHIO
WDTN-TV NBC

TOLEDO, OHIO
WUPW-TV FOX

COLUMBUS, OHIO
WWHO-TV CW

PORTSMOUTH-NORFOLK, VIRGINIA
WAVY-TV NBC
WVBT-TV FOX

SPRINGFIELD, MASSACHUSETTS
WWLP-TV NBC

NEW HAVEN-HARTFORD, CONNECTICUT
WTNH-TV ABC
WCTX-TV MNT

PROVIDENCE, RHODE ISLAND
WPRI-TV CBS
WNAC-TV FOX

#5 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:37 PM

I do not think that the Superstations will be available nationally after the Analog switch. The law that ALLOWS Dish to sell the superstations specifically lists the superstations with the call letters followed by "-TV". The HD channels are "-DT" stations, not TV stasions. Now Congress could change that, but a strict reading of the law would imply that Superstations (which are themselves a vestage of the "old days" when cable and satellite companies plucked stations off the airlike ripe apples and distributed them nationally without paying the copyright holders) would be finally gone.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#6 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:29 PM

So does that mean that us that do not have a local CW but receive ch. 251 instead, but, do not have the superstation package will lose that channel after the analog shutoff? I hope not and, I also don't see that happening.

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,577 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:41 PM

The CW carriage is a private contract between the CW network and DISH network ... those stations are not "Superstations" as defined by law. Perhaps they will continue from digital feeds ... or in HD, but that is up to the parties in the private contract - not a potentially expiring federal law.

The individual "Superstations" could sign private contracts with DISH ... but they would need to get national clearance on all of their programming in order to resell it. The "Superstations" law helps in this situation by overriding the copyright concerns and allowing DISH (and DirecTV, if they choose) to carry the channels paying a rights fee defined by law instead of defined by private contracts.

#8 OFFLINE   mattfast1

mattfast1

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:47 AM

I would like to point out that KWGN2 (Denver) is also available in HD.

I don't foresee any shutoff of the superstations. But then again, I left my crystal ball at home today.
~ mattfast1 ~

Please note that none of my opinions here are necessarily the opinion of my employer (DISH Network) or of Echostar Holdings Corporation (EHC). For these opinions, please visit DishNetwork.com or Echostar.com.

#9 OFFLINE   TNGTony

TNGTony

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:54 PM

I found the documentation. I remembered correctly about the specifics, just not where it was.

From http://www.fcc.gov/m...a/shviafac.html

20. Are satellite subscribers able to receive the "superstations"?

A: Distant TV signals that meet certain legal requirements are called "nationally distributed superstations" and include the following six broadcast TV stations: KTLA-TV (Los Angeles); KWGN-TV (Denver); WPIX-TV (New York); WWOR-TV (New York); WGN-TV (Chicago); and WSBK-TV (Boston)

Notice they used the "-TV suffix. At the time there was no "-DT" but that is irrelevant if some one wanted to make a legal argument. Now how well the argument holds up is anyone's guess. But the "superstation" clause has alway had a "sunset" date. This may be it. :) Then again, I could be wrong as I often am.

--From the FCC Order (essentially the FCC's interpretation and ruling on the current law)
http://www.fcc.gov/B...00/fcc00388.doc

10. In the Notice, we stated that the television broadcast stations that meet the foregoing criteria are limited to KTLA-TV (Los Angeles), WPIX-TV (New York), KWGN-TV (Denver), WSBK-TV (Boston), WWOR-TV (New York) and WGN-TV (Chicago). We also stated that since no other station could meet these criteria in the future due to the date-specific conditions set forth in the definition, the foregoing constitutes a finite list of the nationally distributed superstations covered by the statute. Commenters directly addressing this issue generally agree with our conclusion that this list of nationally distributed superstations is complete and finite.

See ya
Tony
For the life of me I will never understand why people will pay hundreds and thousands of dollars on a TV that provides the clearest, sharpest, most realistic picture possible and then, voluntarily, distort the image!

"Dish Channel Chart"
"Local Channels available and coming to Dish"
"TV Market Maps"

#10 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:52 PM

First of all the provisions of SHVIA which is qupted above concerning the superstatiosn expired a few years ago. SHVERA is now the appropriate legislation. Quoting SHVIA language is pointless and both links above aer from SHVIA not SHVERA>

The superstations do NOT go away in February and the digital versions of those stations DO count as superstaions.

DISH is required to file a form that the US Copyrighht Office every six months listing the number of analog and DIGITAL subs to the supers. I keep asking people why this would bew required if the digital versions are not superdstaions. I jhave never received a reply but postings like this persist.

BTW the -DT suffix will go away in Feb 2009 and the digital sttatiosn will use the legacy call leters.

Sorry if I sound nasty but people keep trying to kill off the supers but they are here till SHVERA expires in and probably beyond that.

BTW even though I have posted this link many times before here is a link to the form
http://www.copyright...rms/formsci.pdf
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

#11 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:08 PM

I wish there was a way we could completely redo, how stations are Broadcast, the rules they are using from the 50's are so outdated its not even funny. I miss my old white out area, yes I abused it, when I moved.
TV Stations are using old laws, and buring the fact they aren't really LOCAL, they are part of big Media groups, and its all about control. Society has changed and is to mobile compared to archacy 1950's rules, and needs to be changed with the times.

spam firewall