Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Problems with Sportster

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cyclone27

cyclone27

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:15 AM

I have the first model of the Sportster in my car & I am wondering if it is time for a new radio.

I have probably had it for about 3 years & had never had any reception problems. However, lately the radio works fine for about 5-10 minutes. Then the sounds just goes off. The usual 'Acquiring Signal' does not come up on the screen. The screen is still showing the song & there is just no sound.

Then when I turn it off & then back on, it the says 'Acquiring Signal' & never does pick up a signal.

The antenna does not appear to be damaged.

Has anyone had this similar problem? Any suggestions or is it time for a new radio?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   nhoJ

nhoJ

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:55 PM

Did the first Sportster have a docking station? If so, see if you can try a different dock. You could always try a different antenna also. Otherwise, you were just looking for an excuse to get a new Sportster 5 or a Starmate 4. Keep in mind the FM Mods on the newer models are not as strong as the old receivers, so you may need an FM adapter to hook up with your antenna.

#3 OFFLINE   Behmer01655

Behmer01655

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:28 PM

I had the same problem over a year ago. I had to buy a new receiver. I got a Starmate 4 and I've never been happier.

#4 OFFLINE   captcab_99

captcab_99

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:24 PM

I have the first model of the Sportster in my car & I am wondering if it is time for a new radio.

I have probably had it for about 3 years & had never had any reception problems. However, lately the radio works fine for about 5-10 minutes. Then the sounds just goes off. The usual 'Acquiring Signal' does not come up on the screen. The screen is still showing the song & there is just no sound.

Then when I turn it off & then back on, it the says 'Acquiring Signal' & never does pick up a signal.

The antenna does not appear to be damaged.

Has anyone had this similar problem? Any suggestions or is it time for a new radio?

Thanks.

Turns out the old Sportsters are prone to overheat and mine did exactly that. It started when I bought the boombox and the heat had a hard time escaping from the rear. Sirius sold me a new sportster replay for something like $40 and gave me 3-4 months free so it all worked out.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...