Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Harmony Remotes and the 622

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   msalvail

msalvail

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:47 AM

Are any of you using a Harmony remote with your DISH receiver? I have the Harmony 520 and while it will turn the 622 on and off, it won't control any of the other functions. The Harmony website said it has something to do with the specific IR signal that DISH uses. I was just wondering if some of you may have had luck with another model and which one.

Thanks in advance!
Mary
*E since '98: Dish 1000.2,VIP622, VIP722K
*D since 4/07 for MLB EI, HR-21

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO

Godfather

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:57 AM

Are any of you using a Harmony remote with your DISH receiver? I have the Harmony 520 and while it will turn the 622 on and off, it won't control any of the other functions. The Harmony website said it has something to do with the specific IR signal that DISH uses. I was just wondering if some of you may have had luck with another model and which one.

Thanks in advance!

I have an older Harmony 659 that works perfectly. Had no problems setting it up to work with my 622.

#3 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:52 AM

There is a number of us that have Harmony 880s that I am aware of and speaking for myself they work great. I have 3. :D

The other day I was listening to the HTGuys podcast and they mentioned they were selling them for 99 bucks. Sounds like a good deal to me.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#4 OFFLINE   girdnerg

girdnerg

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:28 AM

I'm using the new Harmony One with a 622 and it is working great. All of the harmony remotes use the same code set, so the model shouldn't the problem.

I noticed that the harmony software said that there is an updated set of codes for the 622. I downloaded that set to a cloned account and didn't like the looks of it. It had some weird commands like the thumbsUp and down the TIVO uses. It also had some missing commands and when I went to learn these from the original remote, the software said it couldn't learn from this device. Didn't sound like a new a better command set to me, so I didn't import it into my main account.

Since I had lost some functionality doing one of these updates for my TV, I don't do them anymore unless I see a real benefit.

I guess that i'm trying to say that the new set of commands may be bad. Try using the 722 code set and if that fails, PM me and I'll give you my harmony user name and you can have harmony level 2 tech support port the command set over to your account from mine.

Rob

#5 OFFLINE   msalvail

msalvail

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:08 PM

There is a number of us that have Harmony 880s that I am aware of and speaking for myself they work great. I have 3. :D

The other day I was listening to the HTGuys podcast and they mentioned they were selling them for 99 bucks. Sounds like a good deal to me.

$147 at HT Guys as of this moment, thru Amazon and sent out by Beach Camera. The $99 must have been a one day deal...
Mary

#6 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:57 PM

Any Harmony remote will work with the 622. As you know, you can set your Dish IR to any one of about 16 different different channels to avoid conflicts with another remote - and the Harmony can be set up to operate at any of these channels. In that you are able to turn the 622 On and Off with the Harmony, you presumably have the Harmony set up on the correct IR channel.

Call Harmony Tech Support - they're excellent. Also, I'd be interested to see where "The Harmony website said it has something to do with the specific IR signal that DISH uses. :rolleyes:

PS You may find that you wish the Harmony not to turn the 622 OFF (or ON.)

#7 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:05 PM

Set your dish to remote channel number 1 and try it again. Instructions are in the manual.

Be sure you are trying it in the same room. You are not on TV2 are you?
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#8 OFFLINE   msalvail

msalvail

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:31 PM

Set your dish to remote channel number 1 and try it again. Instructions are in the manual.

Be sure you are trying it in the same room. You are not on TV2 are you?

No, I am on TV1.

Instructions are in which manual, the 622 or the Remote?

I just want to get the PVR functions on the Harmony as well as be able to change channels.
Mary

#9 OFFLINE   msalvail

msalvail

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:44 PM

Any Harmony remote will work with the 622. As you know, you can set your Dish IR to any one of about 16 different different channels to avoid conflicts with another remote - and the Harmony can be set up to operate at any of these channels. In that you are able to turn the 622 On and Off with the Harmony, you presumably have the Harmony set up on the correct IR channel.

Call Harmony Tech Support - they're excellent. Also, I'd be interested to see where "The Harmony website said it has something to do with the specific IR signal that DISH uses. :rolleyes:

PS You may find that you wish the Harmony not to turn the 622 OFF (or ON.)

I think it was a forum member on the site, not an employee, now that I think of it.

Why would I not want the Harmony to turn the 622 off and on? It will come back on when it's set to record...just wondering...
Mary

#10 OFFLINE   fmcomputer

fmcomputer

Legend

• Registered
  • 149 posts
  • LocationYpungstown. Ohio

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:21 PM

I have 2 SST-659's that work with the 622. You can go go to advanced settings on logitechs web site, and configure your remote to have the 622 stay on all the time or turn off.

#11 OFFLINE   stoner51

stoner51

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:26 PM

Page 72 of the 622 Manual

1. Press SYSTEM INFO on the rec front panel
If changing Address for remote control 1 write down primary address

2. Press and hold SAT on your remote for three seconds, until all of the mode buttons light up, and the let go of SAT

3. Use the NUMBER PAD to enter any number between one and 16 but not the one you wrote down in step 1
4. Press the POUND(#). If you entered the address correctly, SAT will flash three times.
Write down the number you entered

5. Press RECORD. Make sure the remote adrees you see on the System Inof scree is the same as the one you entered in step 3. If it isn't, the remote cannot control the receiver.

6. Press SELECT to close the system info screen

In my case the Original Adress was 3 and the one that worked for my 880 was 1

hope this helps
steve

#12 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:28 PM

Why would I not want the Harmony to turn the 622 off and on? It will come back on when it's set to record...just wondering...

As you know, the 622 never truly turns Off. There is no harm in leaving it always On - it will go to standby and wake up as required. Also, you won't "tempt fate" by attempting to turn it off whule it is recording on one of the other tuners.

With all my Harmonys and different Dish Receivers I've set it up so the Dish Receiver is always "On." YMMV

#13 OFFLINE   stoner51

stoner51

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:30 PM

Sorry I must have totally missed the question on this. I thought he couldn't control the 622
sorry
steve

#14 OFFLINE   msalvail

msalvail

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:52 PM

Sorry I must have totally missed the question on this. I thought he couldn't control the 622
sorry
steve

No, you are exactly right. That IS what I was asking. I reset mine to 1 and everything seems to be working. Thanks for your help! I have only had this for 2 days and am trying to decide if I want to get one of the ones that is meant more for DVR functions or step up to one of the color LCD screens.

All I am running on it is

DISH 622
DTV HD-21
Yamaha Receiver
Sony TV

...do you think the 520 is sufficient for this or would I be happier with another?

Thanks!

Mary
Mary

#15 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:52 AM

No, you are exactly right. That IS what I was asking. I reset mine to 1 and everything seems to be working. ...

And again, if you have a reason for wanting an IR Channel other than 1 the Harmony will accommodate. If the Harmony was originally controlling the On and Off of the 622 the original problem was not being on an IR Channel other than 1.

Best of luck.

#16 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:22 AM

Also, you won't "tempt fate" by attempting to turn it off whule it is recording on one of the other tuners.

I don't believe turning it "off" will affect a recording in progress.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#17 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 07:43 AM

I don't believe turning it "off" will affect a recording in progress.

And I never said it would.:rolleyes:

#18 OFFLINE   msalvail

msalvail

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:36 AM

Again, thanks for everyone's help. It's working fine but I think I may return it for one of the other models. The buttons are so small and close together that it's an awkward remote to use, especially one handed.
Mary

#19 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:00 AM

Using 659 and 880. I found though that I had to teach some of my own command. Such as PiP and PiP swap.

Otherwise the Harmony's work wonderful with all my Dish receivers.

#20 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:05 PM

If you intend to use it for DVR functions, look for a remote with the DVR buttons in the middle or higher. I hated remotes with them at the bottom. The remote is off balance when you are pressing the most common buttons.
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...