Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Harmony Remotes and the 622

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:24 PM

Using 659 and 880. I found though that I had to teach some of my own command. Such as PiP and PiP swap. ...

PIP and PIP Swap are currently in the Harmony Data Base for the 622/722/942

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:48 AM

If you intend to use it for DVR functions, look for a remote with the DVR buttons in the middle or higher. I hated remotes with them at the bottom. The remote is off balance when you are pressing the most common buttons.

That's why I switched to a 550. I have used it for a long time and recently went out of my head and bought a Harmony One. I'm having a time getting used to it. I just saw it on Amazon for $219 and free standard shipping if anyone's interested. Beats the price I paid at BB :(

#23 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 611 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:47 AM

I have the Xbox 360 Harmony remote, from what I can tell it is kind of between a 520 and a 550 and it works great with my 622 DVR. I bought it because it was cheaper than just about any of the others and you get 4 different colored buttons right in the middle that I use for DVR, Live TV and Guide. IIRC it took me a good couple days to get the remote setup with the 622 so everything worked out right and I think I had to point the Dish remote towards the 622 so it would learn the proper signal to use.

#24 OFFLINE   Thinslice

Thinslice

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:42 AM

I have an older Harmony 659 that works perfectly. Had no problems setting it up to work with my 622.

I'm glad to hear it works, I just got the 659 and I can't get it setup to work with my 612 reciever. I would assume the 612 and 622 and 722 are all the same, they just control more TV and such. I don't know what channel my IR is set at on the reciever. But right now I'm hoping thats my problem. I'm gonna try that when I get home.

#25 OFFLINE   liferules

liferules

Godfather

• Registered
  • 305 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 04:24 PM

That's why I switched to a 550. I have used it for a long time and recently went out of my head and bought a Harmony One. I'm having a time getting used to it. I just saw it on Amazon for $219 and free standard shipping if anyone's interested. Beats the price I paid at BB :(

I've been eying that Harmony One. I have the 880 but don't really like the tiny flat buttons. I just don't know if I can justify the price of the new remote. How do you like it? Does it feel better in the grip? Looks like they finally go the design down with better buttons but still some screen functionality... best of both worlds IMO...

#26 OFFLINE   elbodude

elbodude

Legend

• Registered
  • 174 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 04:26 PM

I've been eying that Harmony One. I have the 880 but don't really like the tiny flat buttons. I just don't know if I can justify the price of the new remote. How do you like it? Does it feel better in the grip? Looks like they finally go the design down with better buttons but still some screen functionality... best of both worlds IMO...

Amazingly, I got FREE Harmony One from http://www.bzzagent.com/ where my wife receives products and writes reviews. I am not affiliated with them in any way. Very cool!

#27 OFFLINE   bheil

bheil

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:43 PM

Joining the party late, but I thought I could contribute. I have 2 622s and use both a 659 and 670. One 622 is IR channel 1 and the other is channel 2. I could control the channel 1 622 with the codes on the harmony site, but had to learn every channel 2 code from the remote for the other dish. It doesn't take too long to do the programming and it works like a champ.
I am curious though, SaltiDawg you said the remotes 'can be set up to operate at any of these channels'. Are you talking about using the learning function for the codes on these other channels, or have I missed something in setting up my remote. Are there codes available on the Harmony site for the different IR channels?

I've got nothing but good things to say about the harmony remotes (except for maybe that the 659 sucks for DVR ff/rew type functions). Easy to set up and use, and it get's a thumbs up from the wife and the 8 year old!

#28 OFFLINE   bheil

bheil

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for the info - one vacation and then dealing with floods in the midwest so I haven't had a chance to respond (not directly affected thank <diety of choice>!. I wasn't aware of this setup option. I'll give it a try.

There are codes for the 622, for example. These codes are sent at different frequencies when you change IR channels. The fundamental signal is identical for both channels. In other words, there is no need to "learn" new signals.... only to know what frequency is to be used.

If you add two 622 devices to the Harmony it is smart enough to understand that there will need to be two different IR channels involved. During the Activity setup it will ask you to push a couple of selected buttons on the associated Dish Remotes while they are physically in the learning mode position. The Harmony is not "learning" the command, it is "determining" what IR channel is to be used.

I did not have to "learn" any commands due to having two different E* receivers.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...