Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NFL : L.A. stadium plans unveiled

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,424 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:45 PM

Billionaire developer Edward P. Roski,Jr.,who is a part owner in the L.A. Lakers and L.A. Kings franchises unveiled his plan to build a new stadium in the L.A. area earlier today,in hopes of luring the NFL back into the L.A. market.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3351752

Steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,424 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:53 PM

After looking into this a little further,I found that Roski has already created a site dedicated to his idea of the proposed stadium at the following link.

http://www.losangele...allstadium.com/

Steve

#3 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:16 PM

With two NBA teams, two NHL teams, two MLB teams and even two MLS teams, it's time America's second largest market has America's sport back again.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,868 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:18 PM

Sure I'd love a football team. Of course I'd love a football team. But where they want to put the stadium?!?!?!?! It's already impossible to get to. Of course we're talking about the same city who put the Staples Center downtown. What a colossal mistake that was.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   miksmi21

miksmi21

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:25 PM

Reports on ESPN are that they are trying to pull:

Jax Jags, Minnesota Vikes, Buffalo Bills, or Oakland Raiders.

My bet is Jags leave Fla. They have poor attendance, and most people down there root for either Tampa or Miami anyways. Or Atlanta and New Orleans for that matter.
I'm faster than most snakes! -Dwight Schrute - The Office

DTV HR20-100, HR20-700, HR22-100, iPhone-XM Skydock

#6 OFFLINE   Koz

Koz

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:29 PM

Of course we're talking about the same city who put the Staples Center downtown. What a colossal mistake that was.

Why do you say that? I like that fact that it's in downtown. I just hop on the redline from the Valley and I'm there in 20 minutes.
HR20-700 HR21-700 R15-500

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,868 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:42 PM

I heard on KNX they want the new stadium at the intersection of the 57 and 60 freeways. Why do I say the Staples center is a mistake? Great if you're near public transport but those 70 year old freeways aren't up to the challenge otherwise. Should have put the Staples Center in the Valley.

#8 OFFLINE   Koz

Koz

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:53 PM

Gotcha. Yeah, I heard the 57-60 thing, also. That's the middle of nowhere from my perspective, though I suppose the population is moving further east into the IE.

I've always thought there should be a professional sports team in the Valley. (minor league baseball would be my choice) What city of 1.5 million people doesn't have at least 1 pro sport?

#9 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:59 PM

The SF Valley gets no respect being part the city of LA. We're happy to take your tax dollars but don't even begin to think we'll give you anything good.
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#10 OFFLINE   Koz

Koz

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:23 PM

The SF Valley gets no respect being part the city of LA. We're happy to take your tax dollars but don't even begin to think we'll give you anything good.

Very true. Though I just moved to Burbank and am not within city limits anymore. I guess Burbank is still technically SFV, though.

#11 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,286 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:17 AM

Here's another spin: http://sports.yahoo....ov=ap&type=lgns
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#12 OFFLINE   ShawnDHill

ShawnDHill

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:02 PM

I, for one, would have liked to see the new stadium somewhere much closer to the city, instead of about 35 miles east of downtown.

#13 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,167 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:21 AM

Reports on ESPN are that they are trying to pull:

Jax Jags, Minnesota Vikes, Buffalo Bills, or Oakland Raiders.

My bet is Jags leave Fla. They have poor attendance, and most people down there root for either Tampa or Miami anyways. Or Atlanta and New Orleans for that matter.

My money is on the Vikings.

If I remember from the last time the Vikings talked about bailing on Minnesota, something was mention in the effect that their contract with the dome expired just about that time.
With the Twins getting a new ballpark, I don't think the Vikings will settle for anything less then a new stadium.

The tRaiders do have a good following in LA but I don't think anyone would seriously give consideration to them as long as Al Davis owns the team. Al Davis does have a reputation for screwing over communities.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#14 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,868 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:37 AM

I, for one, would have liked to see the new stadium somewhere much closer to the city, instead of about 35 miles east of downtown.

I on the other hand would have liked to see the new stadium even further away from downtown. Encourage all southern Californians to embrace the team, not just LA County.

#15 OFFLINE   Koz

Koz

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:21 AM

What other location would you recommend? Downtown seems pretty central to me, especially if you weight it for where the money is.

#16 OFFLINE   ShawnDHill

ShawnDHill

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:37 PM

I know this may not be a popular opinion, but I would like to see a new team at a rebuilt Los Angeles Coliseum. Historical factor aside, I just think it was be a waste to build this new stadium, where you already have two other football venues (albeit they're outdated, but great venues nonetheless) . I know that the NFL pretty much wants to avoid the Coliseum, because then you would have to involve the City and County of Los Angeles, as well as the State of California, and those idiot politicians messed up every opportunity of the NFL coming back to L.A.

I like Roski's idea to build the stadium himself, just not where it could be located. I remember another idea (I believe it was Roski or one of his associates) wanting to build a football stadium across from Staples Center, and if I remember correctly, the stadium would have been built where the new Nokia Theatre/L.A. Live complex presently sits.

I would think regardless where the new stadiums, whether it be in or near Downtown L.A., City of Industry, Anaheim, etc., Southern California would embrace the new team, just as long as they make an effort to win and embrace the community.

#17 OFFLINE   Koz

Koz

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:03 PM

I know this may not be a popular opinion, but I would like to see a new team at a rebuilt Los Angeles Coliseum. Historical factor aside, I just think it was be a waste to build this new stadium, where you already have two other football venues (albeit they're outdated, but great venues nonetheless) . I know that the NFL pretty much wants to avoid the Coliseum, because then you would have to involve the City and County of Los Angeles, as well as the State of California, and those idiot politicians messed up every opportunity of the NFL coming back to L.A.

I like Roski's idea to build the stadium himself, just not where it could be located. I remember another idea (I believe it was Roski or one of his associates) wanting to build a football stadium across from Staples Center, and if I remember correctly, the stadium would have been built where the new Nokia Theatre/L.A. Live complex presently sits.

I would think regardless where the new stadiums, whether it be in or near Downtown L.A., City of Industry, Anaheim, etc., Southern California would embrace the new team, just as long as they make an effort to win and embrace the community.

I don't mind the Coliseum location. My problem with putting an NFL team there is that it won't be as fun for college games. It will be full of suites and club seating that really spreads everyone out. Leave it for USC and keep it as a great place for college football.

My radical idea is that they move the Dodgers downtown (and near public transit) and put a football stadium in Chavez Ravine. 81 home games would make downtown more alive during the summer. While the location is awesome, the stadium itself is near the bottom of the ones I've been to. Chavez Ravine has plenty of space for a football stadium.

#18 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,424 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:55 PM

It's been awhile since this topic has been visited.
Anyway,nfl.com has posted an update on this recently.

http://www.nfl.com/n...ts&confirm=true

The City of Industry's registered voters will vote on a bond measure for the proposed $800 million stadium next Tuesday.

Steve

#19 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,167 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:40 AM

My guess is if this happens that The Vikings will be the first ones banging down the door. If I recall correctly, Thanks to a court order, The Vikings are stuck playing the Metrodome until 2011. During that last fiasco (which forced them to stay in Minneapolis), The Vikings had already started shipping equipment out of Southern California and had set-up offices.

As for the league not liking the idea of established teams moving, YAWN! AL Davis has already set a precedence when he moved the Raiders on 2 separate occasions without league approval.

Edited by fluffybear, 22 December 2010 - 02:56 PM.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#20 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,023 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:28 AM

What other location would you recommend? Downtown seems pretty central to me, especially if you weight it for where the money is.

Lots of room in The Valley, put it up over the hill in Palmdale. ;)
It's still LA county.
They could put it near that big airport they've been thinking about building for years.
People in LA don't mind driving.
(or is that sitting in cars on strips of concrete?)

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

Protected By... spam firewall...And...