Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need HD package for OTA HD?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   scredsfan

scredsfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:57 AM

Don't know if the Dish Network side has addressed this question....I know that if I want local channel guide info to show up in the guide I have to subscribe to local channels, but if I want to get my locals OTA in HD do I have to subscribe to an HD package? Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   saltrek

saltrek

Godfather

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:33 AM

You don't have to subscribe to locals in order to watch your OTA stations in HD. The channels will be integrated into the receiver with the SAT channels. The program description that will appear in the guide will be "digital service".

#3 OFFLINE   scredsfan

scredsfan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:03 AM

But will I still be able to get my HD locals in HD without getting an HD package?

#4 OFFLINE   wreck

wreck

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:14 AM

But will I still be able to get my HD locals in HD without getting an HD package?

You can always get the locals in HD IF they are broadcast OTA in HD. You can do this directly with the antenna hooked-up to the back of your TV. If your Dish Network receiver is HD -- you can also run the antenna directly to the receiver and get HD. (I'm not positive what happens if your Dish reciever is not HD).

#5 OFFLINE   scredsfan

scredsfan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:22 AM

Thanks for the answer - I've got a 622 going into an HD ready TV. Believe it or not, most of the HD stuff I watch consists of sporting events on HD locals OTA and I've been thinking about dropping the HD package. I just wanted to make sure about still being able to get my locals in HD.

#6 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:34 AM

There is a $7 HD enabling fee, HD essentials is $10. A lot of people keep the essentials just for the extra channels since they have to pay that much money just for OTA. Another note: if you do not have you local package, you do not get guide info on your ota. You can still record by setting manual timers.

spam firewall