Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Viewing my external HDs on a computer instead of my 722???

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jedipastor

jedipastor

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:07 PM

Does anyone know (or can you point me toward) how to access my VIP722-linked external hard drives on a computer (preferably a Mac)? There are a couple reasons I want to do this. First of all, if I can manage to shrink the files down a bit it would save space for me.

Also, I'm moving abroad soon (US Military) and obviously won't have Dish access anymore. But I now have nearly 4 hard drives full of HD goodness, and it would be a shame not to be able to watch my content while I'm abroad.

Thanks a lot!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:23 AM

Welcome jedipastor to DBSTalk.

Sorry but the content on your EHD is only designed to be view using your 622/722 assigned to your account. The files are encrypted and will not play using a MAC or PC.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,433 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:00 AM

Welcome jedipastor to DBSTalk.

Sorry but the content on your EHD is only designed to be view using your 622/722 assigned to your account. The files are encrypted and will not play using a MAC or PC.

Ron -

Is it technically possible jedipastor could take the 722 with him to watch EHD content?

I haven't tried that with mine, but my old 508's will play programming on the internal drive without a satellite signal. I used to do that when the snow completely blocked out everything and I didn't want to break my neck cleaning the dish.

If it's technically possible maybe ceo@echostar.com would create a "military exception" so they could use it? Seems like the right thing to do.

#4 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:53 AM

Is it technically possible jedipastor could take the 722 with him to watch EHD content?

yes, it is technically possible. you can access the dvr functions without a satellite signal, so that would work. now if its leased and he is planning on cancelling the account while he is gone, he would need to purchase a receiver that supports the EHD's and activate it on the account first, and then cancel the account...

#5 OFFLINE   Teran

Teran

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:58 AM

But would access to the EHD still work without an active account?

#6 OFFLINE   mattfast1

mattfast1

Legend

• Registered
  • 249 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:03 AM

That's a good question, since the code that allows the receiver access to EHD is part of the account... not sure it would work that way.
~ mattfast1 ~

Please note that none of my opinions here are necessarily the opinion of my employer (DISH Network) or of Echostar Holdings Corporation (EHC). For these opinions, please visit DishNetwork.com or Echostar.com.

#7 OFFLINE   jedipastor

jedipastor

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:15 AM

Thanks.

I signed up for an 18-month commitment and got the DVR for free...so I think that means I own it and can just take it with me. It's sort of large, but I think it would be worth it given all the stuff I have recorded.

#8 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:15 AM

Actually I am pretty sure you don't own the DVR and most likely it is part of the package and goes when you close your account. That is how it usually works. This question really wonders into a lot of areas both technical and business related and my suggestion would be to contact the CEO office with this question and see what they say.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,433 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:42 AM

!pride Come on CEO - support our troops!;)

#10 OFFLINE   jedipastor

jedipastor

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:47 AM

Actually I am pretty sure you don't own the DVR and most likely it is part of the package and goes when you close your account. That is how it usually works. This question really wonders into a lot of areas both technical and business related and my suggestion would be to contact the CEO office with this question and see what they say.

Well, I know I'm not leasing it (not paying any leasing fees). My understanding was that wish Dish receivers you almost always have to purchase the equipment (unless they lease in your area) unlike cable. I signed up under a deal where they game me a free DVR receiver. I didn't read anywhere in the contract that "free dvr receiver" meant "free to use only while under contract" or anything like that. In fact, if it's not mine at this point and they demand it back when I am shipped abroad, I think I'd be inclined to join a class-action lawsuit against them.

Giving out a free piece of equipment in order to get a long-term contract is just like what the mobile phone carriers due with free phones--they subsidize the cost of the unit against the guarantee of a long-term contract, in my case a contract that included the full HD package.

Does anyone else have any ideas on this? Do we own our DVRs or just borrow them from Dish?

And thanks, Phrelin :)

#11 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:00 PM

Unless you purchased it from a dealer other than Dish and paid $400-$600 for it, you are leasing it. There are different names for the fees charged by Dish but with either an owned box or a leased box the monthly fees come out to be almost the same.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#12 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:04 PM

Well I am sure there are a lot of different plans, but I also know that there is a trend from the Sat companies to move to a pay as you go rather than purchase the DVR plan. Usually there is an upfront cost associated for leasing or buying and perhaps that has gone away to more of a cable model. This definitely is not my area of expertise so I am sure others will pipe in.

As for always buying. Actually, with a 722/622 it is the other way around. Most user are leasing their DVRs so like I said above I would be really surprised if there was a deal where the DVR is yours to own and not pay any up front cost.

I would definitely look into it and make sure before you pick up your DVR and head off overseas.

#13 OFFLINE   jedipastor

jedipastor

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:22 PM

Okay, I just e-mailed CS to ask if Dish has a policy where they can "pause" your service if you are military stationed overseas, and whether or not I can keep my DVR during that time. I'll post the reply when I get it.

#14 OFFLINE   dbrakob

dbrakob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:07 PM

Okay, I just e-mailed CS to ask if Dish has a policy where they can "pause" your service if you are military stationed overseas, and whether or not I can keep my DVR during that time. I'll post the reply when I get it.

There is a Dish Essential package (NOT Dish HD Essential) that runs $9.99 a month. Even if you had to pay the HD enabling fee (required for 722 and no HD package) this "pause" in regular service would cost you $17 per month. That is what my inlaws do when they go on their extended (3 month) vacations every summer.

Let us know what Dish says about military. Be interested if they support our troops.

#15 OFFLINE   jedipastor

jedipastor

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:02 AM

Okay, so i found out that Dish does allow you to "pause" service for up to 6 months, but seeing as I'd be stationed abroad for about 3 years, this doesn't help me.

They also said that I'm NOT allowed to bring my DVR with me when I go, which means my 2TB of dvr goodness will be all for naught.

So I'm left with looking at the other option--figure out a way to either:

1) Transfer the content on my Dish-paired external hard drives to my computer
2) Read the Dish-paired drives with some computer program (preferred)
3) Buy a TiVo and someone get my Dish-paired external drives to work with it

So does anyone know of any way I can do this? I have a Mac with both MacOS and Windows installed.

This is a pretty big issue for my family. Not only does moving abroad not sound fun, but the American tv options are crappy, non-HD, and expensive.

#16 OFFLINE   Marriner

Marriner

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:00 AM

Have you thought about the Archos generation 5 players? This allows you to transfer your dish content (SD only) to a portable player that you could take anywhere with you. Unless Archos has changed something with their players since the pocket dish, the hard drive is accessible from a computer. Files can be transferred and stored elswhere and then returned to the player to be viewed.
ViP722K with OTA tuner (Dual Mode SW L6.86), Western Digital 1 Tb USB hard drive, Sharp LC-52D64U HD TV, Sony V-333ES, Bose AM-10. ViP722K with OTA tuner (Dual Mode SW L6.86), Sling Adapter, Maxtor OneTouch 3 750 Gb hard drive,Vizio E422VA, Sharp 1-bit SD-HX500 surround.

#17 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:17 PM

While we are not allowed to discuss decrypting sat. programming I will put out that the programming on the EHD is encrypted and AFAIK that encryption has not been broken so it can not be transferred to any type of computer (or TiVo) and be viewable.

#18 OFFLINE   jedipastor

jedipastor

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:31 PM

I've heard about the Archos, thanks for that idea, but for me it's all about HD--that's why I got Dish in the first place.

I might look into an HD capture card for my computer, but the time involved would be extreme.

#19 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:35 PM

True, but Marriner is right about the PocketDish. I have done that and it works fine. The recordings can only be SD but if you copy them from the receiver to the PD (or Archos device nowdays), you can then connect the PD to your laptop and copy the files to a hard drive (or whatever) and delete them from the PD to free up the space. Later you can copy back from the hard drive to the PD and play them using the PD.

It's not the greatest solution since you can't watch HD and you do have to get a PD device, but it does work. You can connect the PD to the TV and view the recordings on the TV. You don't have to watch the little screen.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#20 OFFLINE   jedipastor

jedipastor

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:42 PM

So basically I'm totally out of luck here. Dish has told me that even if I keep an active account using the cheapest options, I still cannot take my Dish DVR with me when I'm shipped out--it has to stay at the address on the account. Now, of course I could do it anyway and risk some sort of fine--but I don't like that idea.

I may be able to simply purchase a DVR shortly before leaving, pair my drives to that new DVR, and then it should work for me. But that would be very expensive. I'd be better off simply buying all the shows on Blu-ray...but the problem is most of them are not available on Blu-ray yet.

I hate being a complainer or someone who expects entitlements or something, but I must admit I'm kind of frustrated and hoped that there would be some more support for out troops.

Oh well, there's always bittorrent.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...