Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Viewing my external HDs on a computer instead of my 722???

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO

Godfather

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:00 PM

I'm supprised this thread was allowed to continue as long as it has. Recently I responded to someone asking a similar question and was quickly stifled by a moderator for suggesting a hack. I was not and I don't think the OP was suggesting anything illegal but I guess that's the way it goes. :nono2:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,604 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:02 PM

I hate being a complainer or someone who expects entitlements or something, but I must admit I'm kind of frustrated and hoped that there would be some more support for out troops.

Oh well, there's always bittorrent.

It is a shame ... but focus your "upset" against the owners of the programs ... THEY are the ones that wrote the rules DISH is enforcing.

Not to say that our armed forces are not a hotbed of abusing copyright laws and the rights of copyright owners. Apparently the uniform code of conduct doesn't cover that ... or people look the other way. Yes, I appreciate the sacrifices made by the military ... my father served for 28 years, my brother for less. But to consider breaking a law as an "entitlement" of being in the service?

I hope you can find legal sources for the content you're looking for.

I'm supprised this thread was allowed to continue as long as it has. Recently I responded to someone asking a similar question and was quickly stifled by a moderator for suggesting a hack. I was not and I don't think the OP was suggesting anything illegal but I guess that's the way it goes. :nono2:

It is probably time to close the thread ... the answer is clear. You can't do it.

#23 OFFLINE   jedipastor

jedipastor

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:13 PM

Yes, it seems clear that the original title is not possible, but this thread then turned to what the alternatives might be for someone in my position. Unfortunately, there seem to be only one...buy a Slingbox and ask a friend to hook it up at their house in the States so that I can view my external Dish drives in [unknown country].

#24 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,604 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:16 PM

That is an excellent solution! SlingBox is a good answer.

#25 OFFLINE   jedipastor

jedipastor

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:18 PM

I thought so too. Now all I need to do is convince someone I know to get Dish :D

#26 OFFLINE   DBS Commando

DBS Commando

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:25 PM

Or you could buy a DVD recorder and burn everything on your EHD's. . .

This might be a little more expensive than buying a sling though. One bad thing about getting a sling is that you have to worry about internet connectivity. . .

#27 OFFLINE   jedipastor

jedipastor

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 10:37 PM

Thanks, but he main issue is that I want my HD to be HD--a dvd recorded would not give me HD.

Another option would be to buy an HD video capture card for my computer, and record all the content on my external drives...but this would take FOREVER.

#28 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:50 AM

Thanks, but he main issue is that I want my HD to be HD--a dvd recorded would not give me HD.

Another option would be to buy an HD video capture card for my computer, and record all the content on my external drives...but this would take FOREVER.

Does the SLingBox "sling" HD yet? I know it passes the content of the channels... but last time I looked, it did not stream HD video as HD.

Also, as for asking a friend to hook up your external drive... that isn't going to work. The external hard drives are "married" to your account, so the only way to view your archived content is from a Dish receiver currently on your account. If you give the external drive to a friend on a different Dish account, he would have to reformat the drive (losing all your recordings) to use it.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#29 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:24 AM

The DRM issue discussion will be going on ad nauseam.

To solve the problem, boycott everything Sony particularly blu-ray until there is a Sony manufactured blu-ray recorder that does not honor DRM protecting Sony-owned media (don't hold your breath).

Among the largest major media conglomerates, Sony is the most obnoxious about DRM and owns the licensing rights to the HD video disk system we are all stuck with. People seem to pretend Sony's DRM obsession is unknown when, in fact, (a) this is the company that illegally screwed with peoples computers to protect its music cd's and (B) had to recall a bunch of dvds that turned out to be protected so well they wouldn't even run on some Sony DVD players. See here.

Under the current legal system there is only one way to obtain HD programming to share - buy the BluRay DVD at retail and pass it around.

#30 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:38 AM

Yes.. Lets not go down the DRM road and who are the evil players.. There is plenty of blame the consumers can dish out and it does not all fall into one company (Pun fully intended). For purpose of this thread.. Lets keep the solutions suggested to legal methods and lets avoid the DRM is evil rathole that phrelin refers to.

As to offering up a solution. Pherlin is pretty accurate... There really is not a viable cost effective solution to make your HD content transportable. I think if that is the goal I would suggest looking at SD alternatives because they require a lot less space in terms of storage, there are a lot more solutions to solve the problem, and next to the alternative of no content the SD solution does appear more appealing.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#31 OFFLINE   jedipastor

jedipastor

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:25 AM

Great, so I'm totally out of luck. I wish I wouldn't have wasted all that money on those external hard drives.

I suppose I should have realized that when something is advertised as "free" like "Get your own HD DVR for Free..." it doesn't mean it.

spam firewall