Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Can DirecTivo or Tivo wait and watch?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Randy_B

Randy_B

Icon/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 09:20 AM

Can either of the Tivo supported products be programmed to wait and watch for a show or movie that is supposed to air but the date is unknown.

Example, SciFi is 'sposed to be have a new miniseries of Battlestar Galactica, but the air date is unknown. Can you program Tivo with the title and channel and then wait for Tivo to find it and then record it without needing user intervention again? Or say you want to see the Daredevil movie when it eventually comes to TV, but have no idea what channel or when it will air, can you program Tivo to always check for the title and then schedule a recording when it finally shows up? If so, say it is scheduled for HBO but you don't subscribe, will it notify you that the progam is on the schedule but you do not get the channel?

It would be great if before the new fall season if you could take the TV guide issue and just program in all the new shows that sound worthwhile and then wait for Tivo to find their individual start dates.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 12:23 PM

Yes, both DirecTivo (HDVR2) and Ultimatetv can be programmed to keep looking for a show no matter what channel or time it is on. I have programmed in mine a bunch of movie titles and when they are on, they magically appear on my "My Shows" screen. An example is that I wanted to see the movie "Philadelphia." I set up an "Auto-Record" to record the movie exactly titled "Philadelphia." I did this about three months ago. Well, the movie was on TCM last week, and it is now available to be viewed on my hard drive.

The joys of name-based recording!

..edited to fix a very bad typo..
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#3 OFFLINE   TerryC

TerryC

Icon

• Registered
  • 518 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 03:41 PM

With Tivo it's called "Wishlists". For example, being a big Beatles fan, I set up an auto record wishlist for Beatles, Lennon, McCartney and Ringo. Any broadcast with any of those words in the title or description will be recorded. I was surprised by how much Beatles related stuff there is to see. The reason why I don't have a wishlist for Harrison is because it catches too much that I don't want, ie movies with Harrison Ford, so that is one drawback.

But if you know the exact name of a show, you can just set up a wishlist for it and it will record, no matter how far in the future it will appear.

#4 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 04:01 PM

Most Recently Did it with a show called "Doorways", it was a pilot similar to the Sci-Fi Series "Sliders". Of course the show was not worth the attempt to record it. :D

I also wanted to see "The Ipcress File" but can't spell it (still don't know how to spell it), but did a wishlist for action movies and "Michael Caine" and it eventually poped up one day (as well as many other very good Michael Caine action movies).
4900 on a SA TiVo and a 508

#5 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 05:50 PM

Originally posted by Randy_B
It would be great if before the new fall season if you could take the TV guide issue and just program in all the new shows that sound worthwhile and then wait for Tivo to find their individual start dates.

I'll go you one better. Before this last season started, I set-up 2 non-recording Wishlists on my DirecTiVos - one searching for "Season Premieres" to find all returning shows, and one which searched descriptions for the word "PILOT" to find new shows.

The results were impressive. The "Season Premiere" search found every single returning show's premiere, on network TV and cable channels alike. The "PILOT" search worked equally well, finding all new series plus any movie or show concerning flying that had the word "pilot" in it :) I just went through the lists' findings and set-up Season Passes for all the shows that sounded interesting and ignored the rest, and without even needing to look at TV Guide :D
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...