Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Comcast the Flyers and DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Peter305

Peter305

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:52 PM

We all know that people in the Philadelphia area who are DirecTV subscribers will miss most of the Montreal Philly series because of the weird rules that allow Comcast to play hard ball with DirecTV. In this connection there is a very interesting article here that is worth reading.

http://consumerist.c...or-you-to-watch

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:34 PM

We all know that people in the Philadelphia area who are DirecTV subscribers will miss most of the Montreal Philly series because of the weird rules that allow Comcast to play hard ball with DirecTV. In this connection there is a very interesting article here that is worth reading.

http://consumerist.c...or-you-to-watch

The advice about writing to Specter is a hoot. As if he isn't well aware of the Comcast loophole ... and Comcast's lobbyists ... and their cash.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#3 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:44 PM

LOL. Yea, Specter is the one that got the loophole created in the first place...with Comcast's money in his back pocket of course.

#4 OFFLINE   grover517

grover517

AllStar

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:04 PM

Not a bad chunk of change either....

http://www.sourcewat...n_contributions

Top Contributors to Arlen Specter ® during the 2006 Election Cycle
Rank Donor Amount (US Dollars)

1 Blank Rome LLP $ 164,750
2 Comcast Corp $ 102,750
3 UPMC Health System $ 98,200
4 Kline & Specter $ 96,750
5 Blank, Rome et al $ 95,050

Source: The Center for Responsive Politics' www.OpenSecrets.org site.
Note: Contributions are not from the organizations themselves, but are rather from the organization's PAC, employees or owners. Totals include subsidiaries and affiliates.

#5 OFFLINE   Mocco71

Mocco71

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 04:50 PM

It is strange because I am in the Harrisburg DMA and was also blacked out for a few of the Flyer games on NHL network. However, what is really bizarre is that when the Flyers play on VS, I get them. Additionally, I am considered in the Capitals home market, but I get both their games on VS and the RSN. Same for when the Penguins are on - I get both!

#6 OFFLINE   CJTE

CJTE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:35 AM

It is strange because I am in the Harrisburg DMA and was also blacked out for a few of the Flyer games on NHL network. However, what is really bizarre is that when the Flyers play on VS, I get them. Additionally, I am considered in the Capitals home market, but I get both their games on VS and the RSN. Same for when the Penguins are on - I get both!

Thats because VS is a public feed?
I dont think VS blacks out, ever...

#7 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:49 AM

Ditto.. I am just a little closer to Phily than Mocco.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#8 OFFLINE   Mocco71

Mocco71

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:50 AM

Sure it does. Some of my family in Pittsburgh were blacked out on VS in round 1 when the Pens were on VS and FSN Pitt.

#9 OFFLINE   jared52

jared52

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:20 AM

VS was blacked out for me in Huntsville, AL for the Nashville Predators games during the playoffs.

#10 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 643 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:25 AM

The Sharks-Calgary series was blacked out on VS here in NorCal as CSNBA had the local rights. It appears that this will change in the second round, as VS will have exclusive rights to some games, including tonight's game 1 of the Dallas-SJ series.

#11 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:39 AM

Sure it does. Some of my family in Pittsburgh were blacked out on VS in round 1 when the Pens were on VS and FSN Pitt.

Ditto.. Vs. will be blacked out in certain locations if the local RSN is carrying the game.
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#12 OFFLINE   TANK

TANK

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 874 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:18 PM

I would think the NHL with it's embarrassing poor ratings would want more people watching the NHL and not less.

But I guess Buttman knows what he is doing :hurah:

#13 OFFLINE   jared52

jared52

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:13 PM

Ditto.. Vs. will be blacked out in certain locations if the local RSN is carrying the game.

My RSNs were blacked out too.

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,671 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:04 AM

The only stations not subject to any blackout rules are... none... Any station can be blacked out. It all depends on the contracts and rights for each market and league...

#15 OFFLINE   NJ Scoundrel

NJ Scoundrel

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 01:16 PM

Anybody know how long this nonsense is going to last? Will this continue throughout the next round vs Rangers/Pens? How about if they get to the finals?

I'm not even a Flyers fan, hell I hate 'em as a Devs fan myself but I'm getting pretty aggravated with all of these Vs. games getting blacked out. I coudn't imagine being a Flyers fan.

#16 OFFLINE   311Man

311Man

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:07 AM

Anybody know how long this nonsense is going to last? Will this continue throughout the next round vs Rangers/Pens? How about if they get to the finals?

I'm not even a Flyers fan, hell I hate 'em as a Devs fan myself but I'm getting pretty aggravated with all of these Vs. games getting blacked out. I coudn't imagine being a Flyers fan.

Thankfully the next round and the finals are exclusively on Versus and NBC meaning no more blackouts.

I live in the Philly market and the entire Comcast Sportsnet situation can solely be blamed on the FCC which allows this to happen. The FCC had an opportunity to correct the terrestrial loophole but they did of sorts but gave Philly Comcast an exception. Meaning don't count on Flyers games on satellite anytime soon.

#17 OFFLINE   NJ Scoundrel

NJ Scoundrel

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 09:00 AM

Excellent! Thanks for the heads up.

#18 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:04 PM

After round 2 finishes, Versus and NBC have all of the NHL playoff games (for rounds 3 and 4). No RSN games starting with round 3, so there should be no more blackouts from now on.

#19 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 08:54 PM

After round 2 finishes, Versus and NBC have all of the NHL playoff games (for rounds 3 and 4). No RSN games starting with round 3, so there should be no more blackouts from now on.

Unfortunately we have to put up with the terrible Vs/NBC announcers. :nono2:

#20 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 06 May 2008 - 07:23 AM

Not a bad chunk of change either....

http://www.sourcewat...n_contributions

Top Contributors to Arlen Specter ® during the 2006 Election Cycle
Rank Donor Amount (US Dollars)

1 Blank Rome LLP $ 164,750
2 Comcast Corp $ 102,750
3 UPMC Health System $ 98,200
4 Kline & Specter $ 96,750
5 Blank, Rome et al $ 95,050

Source: The Center for Responsive Politics' www.OpenSecrets.org site.
Note: Contributions are not from the organizations themselves, but are rather from the organization's PAC, employees or owners. Totals include subsidiaries and affiliates.

Maybe its time for D* to put some money in his pocket. ;)

spam firewall