Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

KVM switches - more than 3 mouse buttons?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 04:50 PM

I currently use a 4 port Cybex KVM switch for my 2 computers in my office at home and to connect up my HTPC when necessary.

Does anyone know of a KVM switch that will work with mice that have more than 3 buttons? My cybex switch thinks my 8 button logitech mx700 mouse has 3 buttons because it can't pass the information from the other 5 buttons. In my limited searching, I haven't been able to find a KVM that will pass more than 3 mouse buttons through.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 12:23 AM

Is it a driver issue or physical connection issue?
4900 on a SA TiVo and a 508

#3 OFFLINE   Cheyenne

Cheyenne

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 12:34 AM

What is the model # of KVM switch?
There are many firmware upgrades available, that fix "strange" problems....

#4 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 07:52 PM

It's the Cybex Switchview model 4 port switch. And it's definitely not a driver issue - there are no drivers for the switch. I think it's either a physical connection or a firmware issue.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#5 OFFLINE   psycaz

psycaz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 08:24 PM

I beleive the Nelkin 4 port SOHO that supports audio does. A friend has one and uses the MX700 with it. Works real nice!!!

#6 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 09:21 PM

Originally posted by Mark Lamutt
It's the Cybex Switchview model 4 port switch. And it's definitely not a driver issue - there are no drivers for the switch. I think it's either a physical connection or a firmware issue.

Well you are not looking at the big picture then. No there are no drivers for the switch box, but there are drivers for the device you use connected to the switch box and especially in the early days some drivers did not like the way switches handled the switching and would not work correctly (especially after the first switch). Driver upgrades for the devices connecting to the switch box solved these problems. So as long as you are using a driver to the device that connects via the switch box, do not discount drivers. I would believe it is firmware first, but don't discount anything or you are cutting yourself off to a potential solution.

#7 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 09:47 PM

Good point, gcutler. I'm using the newest logitech drivers for the mouse. I've sent a message to the cybex people. We'll see what they say. There's nothing on their website about updates or upgrades to the switch.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#8 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 11:03 PM

Sounds like you got the drivers and firmware covered. have you looked at the cables, I have seen some "Passthru" cables for these devices not be 100% passable. I had a connector that I was using for Serial mice. WHen I tried to use it for a serial cable (for something else) i saw that not every pin was used. Perhaps the cable is not passing along the data MX700 because one pin a typical mouse doesn't use is used by the MX700. It could be that the switch doesn't pass but a cheap cable would be more like the source than the device. I'm just grabbing at straws based on past experience, but dosen't seem like many other ideas???

Maybe for once one of those more expensive cables may actually solve the problem???

#9 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 5,205 posts

Posted 05 April 2003 - 11:17 PM

Good call on the cables... I have one that doesn't support the wheel... :eek2:

#10 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 03:14 PM

I'm using the cybex cables that were shipped with the switch. Any recommendations on one of the "more expensive" cables?
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#11 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 07:14 PM

Belkin makes nice cables, probably toooo nice for the typical need, perhaps their over done ones might actually help you. Make sure you get a guarantee of return (even if you don't like them) or else you may be stuck with a very expensive/fancy cable that dosen't do much better than the ones that came with it.

#12 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• 5,205 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 07:49 PM

I second Belkin. Well worth the money. BUT make sure you buy them from a place that takes returns in case they don't work.

#13 OFFLINE   Wedgecon

Wedgecon

AllStar/Supporter

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 01:15 AM

I used to love Belkin KVM switches, but the last several we have gotten over the last year have all had to be RMA'ed so many times we just gave up and switched to Compaq (to match the servers and racks). They just stop working after a few months, Sign: ( they just don't make em like they used too. And these were the top of the line 16 port model

But the Belkin made cables still seem to be good...

#14 OFFLINE   James_F

James_F

Damn you woman!

• 5,205 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 07:00 AM

Yea, we don't have Belkin anymore, just Dell KVM, but for all I know its a Belkin switch with the Dell name on it. :grin:

#15 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 07:49 AM

Well, I received a reply from the cybex support people. Their switch can only pass 2 packet and 3 packet mouse data throught he switch, so it can't support more than 3 buttons.

Some of the Belkin SOHO information I've read said that it supports up to 5 buttons, so I've sent a message off to the Belkin support people to see what they say.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

#16 OFFLINE   gcutler

gcutler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 12:09 PM

Originally posted by Mark Lamutt
Well, I received a reply from the cybex support people. Their switch can only pass 2 packet and 3 packet mouse data throught he switch, so it can't support more than 3 buttons.

Some of the Belkin SOHO information I've read said that it supports up to 5 buttons, so I've sent a message off to the Belkin support people to see what they say.

I'd assume that the newer models would be inclined to pass more, but that feature would depend on how much demand there is for that. Just in my experience, I've not seen alot of the multi function mice on switches, hopefully that is just my experience and not the norm...

#17 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 08 April 2003 - 12:58 PM

Got a reply from the Belkin tech support people - the Belkin switches can support 5 button mice. Better than 3, but still not 8. So, I just have my mouse connected directly to the primary computer and another mouse connected to the secondary one. And my cybex switch becomes a KV switch only.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com

Protected By... spam firewall...And...