Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

No XM-Radio on AOL

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Old Tv Watcher

Old Tv Watcher

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:43 PM

I just found out that I can no longer listen to XM-Radio via AOL.

I enjoyed listening while browsing. I suppose this is a result of the merger?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 776 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:09 PM

No it is the result of AOL and XM discontinuing their agreement. AOL has decided to
"go in a different direction," signing a deal with CBS Radio.

#3 OFFLINE   YKW06

YKW06

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:21 PM

Essentially, it's a result of the increase in internet royalties levied by the federal government.

AOL wanted to insert ads into the XM streams to help raise revenues to pay the higher royalties being assessed.

XM refused -- ad-free streams and channels sorta being their big selling point -- and both parties decided it was time to end the joint agreement.

AOL hooked up with CBS in order not only to add extra channels to their service to help replace the departed XMs, but also so as to outsource the selling of ads on all AOL Radio channels (a function CBS Radio's in-house sales staff will be assuming).

XM's own lower-bitrate XMRO service remains available for XM subscribers, as well as to non-subscribers willing to pony up $7.95/mo. for the online-only service:

http://xmro.xmradio....tream/index.jsp

#4 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:33 PM

To bad. I listened to XM on AOL through my MacBook Pro and Airport Express into my AV system. :(

#5 OFFLINE   kbuente

kbuente

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:56 PM

Can we still listen if connected online via a NON-AOL method?

#6 OFFLINE   max1

max1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:22 PM

I liked some of the xm music channels on AOL as well. I don't think I will get xm because Sirius has a better variety for me. Be interesting to see what AOL will offer. I found this on clear channels music format they have some good stations to listen if you like listening to music on line Max. http://www.clearchan...c.com/formatlab

#7 OFFLINE   Old Tv Watcher

Old Tv Watcher

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 04:56 PM

I liked some of the xm music channels on AOL as well. I don't think I will get xm because Sirius has a better variety for me. Be interesting to see what AOL will offer. I found this on clear channels music format they have some good stations to listen if you like listening to music on line Max. http://www.clearchan...c.com/formatlab

Or pandora.com

#8 OFFLINE   max1

max1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:46 PM

Also too you can listen to some good music at itunes.com Old Tv watcher-I tried Pandora and they stink. I don't like the setup or format.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...