Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Minneapolis Music on XM

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:44 PM

Marty Stuart's American Odyssey: Minneapolis (New Episode!)| 2 XMX| 12:00 PM to 12:00 AM (12 hrs)Each episode of Marty Stuart's American Odyssey focuses on a different part of the country and brings the musical sounds and stories of that region to life. Today, XMX dedicates 24 hours to a brand new episode, as Marty and his Fabulous Superlatives head to the land of a thousand lakes, and Minneapolis, Minnesota!

For those who think that the "Minneapolis Sound" started with that little purple guy, this show covers Minneapolis music from even before I moved there as a high school junior (1965).

I just tune in and I already heard one error. He introduced a Prince portion talking about him having been known as "Rogers Nelson" before being called Prince. This is incorrect in that his real name is "Prince Rogers Nelson" and he was always called Prince, well, other than the time he changed his name to an unpronounceable symbol.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 03:46 PM

Very bad programming. :barf: Way too much filler and not enough REAL local music.

#3 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:12 PM

Too bad.

I've got to tell you a Minneapolis music scene story. A friend of mine was at one point very active in the Minneapolis music scene, years ago when Prince was a struggling artist. My buddy, while playing a totally different kind of music, considers himself very talented and has a couple of Grammys to back that up. He didn't think Prince Rogers Nelson had anything on him. They were competitors. But of course Prince hit it big and my buddy didn't, ending that competition.

Soon afterwards, my buddy, whose nickname is Mooch, was walking down a Minneapolis street. Coming toward him was his rival, now with a posse. As the masses parted enough to allow my friend to pass, Prince, showing he's cool, said, "Hi, Mooch."

My buddy responded, "Hi, Rog." A Cheshire Cat grin lead him further down the street.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#4 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:07 PM

Great story. I did tons of business with Prince when I was in the pro audio business there (designed, wired and installed the system he used for recording much of the Purple Rain project). What was your friend's real name. I may have known him.... pm if you desire.

As for the program I could have put together a MUCH better and more interesing program.

spam firewall