Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

4320p coming to your Future HDTV ?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   space86

space86

Icon

• Registered
  • 512 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:06 PM

From Wikipedia...
http://en.wikipedia....efinition_Video

Networks to start broadcasting in 4320p in 2015!

I bet we will also see movies in 4320p in our Home Theaters
via a future Optical Disc Player like todays Blu-ray Disc Players ?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   space86

space86

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 512 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:08 PM

I wonder how much the first 4320p HDTV will cost in 2015 ?

#3 OFFLINE   Pinion413

Pinion413

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 07:17 PM

Cool stuff.

Still experimental though.

And even though I'm sure they'll have it working at some point, I don't see any real replacements for current HD technology/broadcasts happening anytime in the near future.

Could you imagine the bandwidth that a broadcast like that would require? :lol:
-Chris

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   space86

space86

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 512 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:42 PM

By the time they start broadcasting in 4320p in 2015
I will be an Old Man LOL

#5 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,038 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:23 AM

This one is way old and has been brought up many times on the forum already. http://www.dbstalk.c...earchid=3296665 just to name a few quickly.

I like the part about the realism of the PQ making people violently ill.

Speaking of realism, the Mitsu products roadshow was in my area this last weekend, and they were showing their version of the 3D TV. That was kinda cool but again I could see that making people ill as well.

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:40 AM

But unfortunately you'll need a 200" screen to see the quality...
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Super Moderators
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:58 PM

I know I could find room for a 200" screen..... Might have to knock down a wall or two and make my kids share a bedroom.... but I know it would fit! :rolleyes: :D

#8 OFFLINE   jodavis

jodavis

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:06 PM

I don't see any use for more than 1080p in the home TV market. The human eye isn't able to resolve more than 1080p at any viewing distance that wouldn't make you sick. It would be like sitting in the front row at the movies all the time. The only place I can see a market for this is in people who have a dedicated theatre in their house. But if its an excuse for me to get the wife to let me buy some new toys hey what the heck right.
DirecTV sub since 11/11/06
HR20 X 2
7MC on an Custom HTPC
- Intel Core2 Duo
- 6 gigs Ram
- 5TB recording drive
- 5TB of movie rips via HP WHS
- 2 H20 via Hauppauge HDPVR and RS232
- 2 ATSC Tuners via antenna
XBOX 360 X 5

CEer since Santa and Elvis

#9 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Super Moderators
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:08 PM

I think I'll just stick with my 19 inch B&W Quasar and save the $140,000 for my kids education...... :D

#10 OFFLINE   Pinion413

Pinion413

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:33 PM

I think I'll just stick with my 19 inch B&W Quasar and save the $140,000 for my kids education...... :D

Sadly enough, I used to own one of those. :lol:
-Chris

My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,347 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:44 PM

I don't see any use for more than 1080p in the home TV market. The human eye isn't able to resolve more than 1080p at any viewing distance that wouldn't make you sick. It would be like sitting in the front row at the movies all the time. The only place I can see a market for this is in people who have a dedicated theatre in their house. But if its an excuse for me to get the wife to let me buy some new toys hey what the heck right.

If you remember that time of 8mm films - what was a resolution of those ? Lines per inch ?

#12 OFFLINE   Bobby H

Bobby H

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:27 PM

4320p might be useful if Hollywood filmed all their movies in Super Panavision 70mm or IMAX.

Unfortunately, there is currently no point at all in having a video storage system with that high a level of resolution.

Most Hollywood movies made in recent years have had their CGI work rendered at 2048 lines of resolution. The same goes for all of their "digital intermediate" work (original negatives are scanned and then cleaned up, colorized and processed further in computer systems).

Some movies have their CGI and DI work rendered in 4K. But such movies are very few in number.

Worse yet, lots of movies that have been ported to Blu-ray (and the dead HD-DVD format) used even lower quality HD telecine transfers instead of more precise scans and DI output.

Simply put, there's not nearly enough movie content out there to drive a 4K or "4320p" video format.

#13 OFFLINE   HIPAR

HIPAR

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:49 AM

After weighing the facts and studying the trade offs, I can say 4320p isn't in my future.

--- CHAS
But I don't want to go among mad people

#14 OFFLINE   glennb

glennb

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 03:28 PM

Cool stuff.

Still experimental though.

And even though I'm sure they'll have it working at some point, I don't see any real replacements for current HD technology/broadcasts happening anytime in the near future.

Could you imagine the bandwidth that a broadcast like that would require? :lol:

There's always better technology right around the corner. It will change even faster now that the boadcasts are all going digital.

Before color TVs became a reality I'm sure people used to say - Could you imagine the bandwidth that a color TV broadcast would require ? :lol:

#15 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:11 PM

This is an old thread, but the title of this post is from this article at Cnet today that explains:

As if LED and 3D TV weren't confusing enough, 2012 and beyond will bring an HDTV technology called 4K. It's being heralded as the next high-def, and manufacturers are already lining up to bring you products.

But just as was the case with 3D, it's the hardware chicken before the software egg: there's no consumer 4K content available. Still, if you listen to the industry, it'll tell you it's the last resolution you'll ever need. So what is 4K anyway, and what makes it different from high definition?

...Though there are several different standards, "4K" in general refers to a resolution of roughly 4,000 pixels wide and about 2,000 pixels high. That makes it the equivalent of four 1080p screens in height and length. Currently 4K is a catch-all term for a number of standards that are reasonably close to that resolution, and the TVs we'll see this year labeled 4K will actually be Quad HD, defined below. But frankly, we think 4K is the catchier name.

Posted Image

Another reason I hope my 2003 Pany 720p Plasma holds up for a couple of years?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#16 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:58 PM

From http://carltonbale.c...80p-does-matter

Posted Image
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#17 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:05 PM

Like I am going to sit 4' from my 60" TV... 10-12" @1080p is just fine with me.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#18 OFFLINE   pfp

pfp

Whatever

• Registered
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:10 PM

I think it only starts to make sense with projectors or 60" screens on the long wall of a shipping container.
I do, I offer a complete and utter retraction. The imputation was totally without basis in fact, and was in no way fair comment, and was motivated purely by malice, and I deeply regret any distress that my comments may have caused you, or your family, and I hereby undertake not to repeat any such slander at any time in the future.

#19 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,519 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

I think it only starts to make sense with projectors or 60" screens on the long wall of a shipping container.

With you on that. Its another dream by the manufacturers to hit the truly large screen high end market which in a down global economy does not make sense IMHO at least.

Still it will have the advantage of driving down the costs on 1080p sets and likely eliminating the 720p sets.

I've 2 3D capable sets and have used them both as such but just not enough to have that drive future purchases (or their purchase for that matter).

In the long run 1080p will be likely the standard, with 1080i for broadcasting bandwidth reasons, and a few *large* screen devices like projectors and if they realize a wafer thin 70 inch screen is too fragile, perhaps some 70 75 inch LCD sets (or bigger) might utilize a 4k upscale engine.

Great idea for a limited market segment, limiting production, keeping costs high, and supporting media low.

The general public cannot afford multi thousand dollar TVs once a decade let alone every few years.

Don "1080p is just fine thank you" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

spam firewall