Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk.com First Look: R22-100 Standard Definition DVR

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:12 PM

makes sense.... plus if the subs wanted to upgrade to hd in the future there would not be a reciever swap either.

Exactly the way I see i too.
Sometimes it just is what it is :nono2:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:23 PM

I can see this becoming the "Standard" receiver that everybody gets. Then if you want HD, you call Directv, pay a fee, and it's enabled on the box, like changing programming.

#23 OFFLINE   johnck78

johnck78

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:24 PM

They said NO it cannot be upgraded to HD. The thing I am curious about is the price. Is the R22 significantly cheaper than the HR21? Otherwise why not just get a HR21?

Seems a little curious to me too.. I mean you can go to BB or CC and get an HR21 for $199, so to me you'd have to be no higher than $99, even then, one would seriously have to think about whether or not they were going to need HD in the foreseeable future (like < 3years). But then to that, if the unit is upgradeable, what is to stop people from buying it at my assumed $99 and then "upgrading" it to HD?

And if it is the same platform and hardware restriced by software, why maintain the extra model and deal with supply, troubleshooting issues?
Full Diagram of My Setup

Be a DBSTalk Club Member for $15 Support DBSTalk.com

Twitter: @JohnCK78

#24 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:25 PM

Nice job guys...

Everyone should remember to watch for when Earl seems to ask a quesiton out of the blue like... "Is there anyone out there that is still strictly SD?". At the time I remember thinking he might get a couple of people to admit they did :D

It worked for me! :D

#25 ONLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:33 PM

Nice job, you guys. It's a shame that it's not HD upgradable because this would be the perfect box for entry level folks looking to eventually make the jump. It would save on production costs of creating more boxes for the same customer.
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#26 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:34 PM

Seems a little curious to me too.. I mean you can go to BB or CC and get an HR21 for $199, so to me you'd have to be no higher than $99, even then, one would seriously have to think about whether or not they were going to need HD in the foreseeable future (like < 3years). But then to that, if the unit is upgradeable, what is to stop people from buying it at my assumed $99 and then "upgrading" it to HD?

And if it is the same platform and hardware restricted by software, why maintain the extra model and deal with supply, troubleshooting issues?

Assuming it is upgradeable, nothing is stopping a user from doing what you describe. That being said, nothing stopping DirecTv from charging a HD enabling fee either.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#27 OFFLINE   MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,570 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:39 PM

Assuming it is upgradeable, nothing is stopping a user from doing what you describe. That being said, nothing stopping DirecTv from charging a HD enabling fee either.

It would seem to me that makes some sense, but another fee? Really! I mean enabling means the cutomer is going to spend more $ on thier bill. If I didn't know better I would say this could be the wave of the future. What programming package, and thats whats turned on and "enabled". Now there was a guy that just posted he got one yesturday. I wonder what he paid for it?
Sometimes it just is what it is :nono2:

#28 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:47 PM

Now there was a guy that just posted he got one yesturday. I wonder what he paid for it?

Nothing. If you read the thread you'll see that DirecTV sent him an R22 to replace his broken R15. He does not have HDTV and since he got a big surprise when he opened the box I'm sure he didn't pay anything that he wouldn't have paid to get his broken R15 replaced.

#29 OFFLINE   Draconis

Draconis

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,409 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:49 PM

Great job as always, I have been waiting on this review for some time.

#30 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:49 PM

As far as HD upgradeability, what I can tell you, is that it is not "impossible" as in the R15s. This DVR is designed for markets with SD-MPEG4 locals. If the decision is made to offer an HD upgrade in the future then the hardware will allow it. It's not clear how that would go and any decision on that is a ways off.

So the R22 is essentially an HR21 equivalent that is software locked to output nothing higher than 480p resolution, and to hide the HD GUI stuff.

#31 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:54 PM

In the investor presentation they said before they get to one receiver for everyone SD or HD there would be an interem receiver that would be SD but upgradable to HD. This might be the first step in getting there.

#32 ONLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,713 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:54 PM

Another sign that Viiv is dead, it's not on the front panel like it is on my HR21.
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#33 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:03 PM

And if it is the same platform and hardware restriced by software, why maintain the extra model and deal with supply, troubleshooting issues?

For one thing, according to DirecTV, the HD DVRs will soon come with 100 hours of HD recording capacity, so I suspect that the DVRs sold as HD DVRs will come with a 500 GB disk inside, compared to the 320 GB disks in the H22s which will only give you about 50 hours of recording capacity if it is used as an HD DVR. Other than that difference in disk size, it seems like the “SD DVRs” and the HD DVRs will have the same hardware capabilities, including full HD capability.

#34 OFFLINE   JJJBBB

JJJBBB

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:16 PM

It's kind of sad, I was hoping DirecTV would get out of the SD end of the signal soon.
NATIONAL HD... I want it all, I want it now. I've been really patient. (Will dance for more HD :stickman:)

#35 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:17 PM

In the investor presentation they said before they get to one receiver for everyone SD or HD there would be an interem receiver that would be SD but upgradable to HD. This might be the first step in getting there.

It has to be. The investor presentation said that all [newly deployed] DVRs would be MPEG4 and HD capable by mid 2008, so this has to be the first DVR that meets that objective. In other words, the R22 will essentially be DirecTV's entry level HD DVR that is installed for customers who initially only want SD service.

#36 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:24 PM

It's kind of sad, I was hoping DirecTV would get out of the SD end of the signal soon.

I suggest that you re-read this thread. The R22 is first step towards that end, but it will take a minimum of 5-6 years before they could be near having all of the SD-only receivers out of circulation and replaced with HD capable MPEG4 receivers, which would have to happen before the MPEG2 SD signals can be turned off.

#37 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:27 PM

And what should they do with the majority of their customers that are SD customers? Tell them to go away we only want HD customers? This receiver IMHO is the start of a migration to mpeg4 only. Many channels do not need to be HD. If those types of channels were in Mpeg4 they could reduce the bandwidth and still improve the picture quality. In time I'm guessing these types of receivers will be the only SD available to new subs and when the amount of mpeg2 receivers is low enough there will be a swap so that mpeg2 can be turned off in favor of mpeg4. For the cost of a satellite launch you could replace a lot of SD boxes and go to mpeg4 and not need the new satellite and uplink centers and all the rest of the infrastructure.

Just an opinion however I expect D*, E* an the Cable companies will be doing this sort of theng sooner or later and the laggard will be sorry.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#38 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,912 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:52 PM

:eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::):):):) OHHH!!! <drools> I wish it had ethernet or usb. Is that a SATA port on the back? VERY COOL THOUGH!! When ever this is out. My R15 WILL fail!
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#39 OFFLINE   Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:58 PM

:eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2::):):):) OHHH!!! <drools> I wish it had ethernet or usb. Is that a SATA port on the back? VERY COOL THOUGH!! When ever this is out. My R15 WILL fail!

It does have ethernet, and the DOD feature works just fine! I have loved playing with this new toy!!
There are two kinds of Strength: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of Power: The power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked.

#40 OFFLINE   zuf

zuf

Icon

• Registered
  • 618 posts
  • LocationSouthern Utah

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:00 PM

It does have Ethernet (and works with DIRECTV on DEMAND and Media Share). It also has USB, though who knows what that will work with. And, yes, it does have an eSATA port on the back.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...