Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk.com First Look: R22-100 Standard Definition DVR

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:00 AM

Well, the R22 invites hackers to convert it into a HR21, doesn't it?

Good luck with that.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:05 AM

Another place this unit has possiblities is for MRV.....
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

#123 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:18 AM

Another place this unit has possiblities is for MRV.....

Since it's essentially an HR21 all the way down to the software, I'm sure it'll support MRV.

#124 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:24 AM

Supposition here. Small DMAs get these boxes and their local channels are only sent in HD and for the SD subs these boxes transparently output them as SD and HD subs with HD Boxes get them as HD. Thus eliminating duplicate feeds for DMAs in SD & HD. And as time goes on and more of these are out there they do a gradual swap of MPEG2 boxes in larger and larger DMAs until they can turn off mpeg2.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#125 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:29 AM

Some day maybe, remember there alot of R15's, D10, 11s and 12s out there but since the SD channels are on MPEG2 satellites I fail to see how that would free up bandwith for HD.... Better resolution on SD channels or more, different SD channels would be possible.

Are the current sats unable to pass along mpeg4? Having an SD receiver that gets mpeg4 would eventually allow to, either eliminate the duplicate sd channels and send down rezzed versions of the HD channels to SD subscribers, opening up bandwidth. Or, converting the mpeg2 channels to mpeg4, a much more efficient compression scheme, thus opening up more bandwidth more HD. Either way there is more would be more bandwidth available. Yes I know any of these changes would be years off, but I was wonder what is DirecTV's plan for having the new SD receivers to get mpeg4 broadcasts. I don't think they are adding that functionality just for the fun of it.

#126 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:02 AM

Some markets currently have their locals on a satellite locats at 72.5, that space as I understand it is leased from a Canadian? company. Well there is going to come a point where that lease is no longer going to be renewed so D* will jump those to either the old MPEG2 HD sat and some to a newer MPEG4 sat. That is currently the plan as I understand it for being MPEG4 compatible, now the ability to add HD programming at the flip of a switch instead of a roll of a truck has real advantages.
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

#127 OFFLINE   scr

scr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:11 AM

What I want to know is how well does the R22 work?

Does it have the R)) bug?

Do you get blank recordings?

Sound drop outs?

Does it get "stuck" when trying to replay a recorded show only to have to delete it?

Having had these problems with the R15's I would jump at the chance to replace the refurbished R15 I have now as it still has all the aforesaid problems.

I am over reformatted and tired of replaced units with the same problems. I just want to watch TV as advertised.

Thanks

#128 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:15 AM

Sound drop outs?

Does it get "stuck" when trying to replay a recorded show only to have to delete it?

Having had these problems with the R15's I would jump at the chance to replace the refurbished R15 I have now as it still has all the aforesaid problems.

I am over reformatted and tired of replaced units with the same problems. I just want to watch TV as advertised.

Thanks

Mine works great! I have a sound sync problem when I hit the 30 sec SKIP multiple times but a quick "jump back" fixes it. I have not had a blank recording on mine. Mine has never gotten "stuck". No R)) bug either.
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

#129 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:20 AM

Sound drop outs?

Thanks

The R)) bug is fixed-mostly. If a show has multiple showings of the same episode, each showing of that episode will have the R)) icon next to it as long as the episode meets your criteria for recording, although only one showing will be recorded. For example, you set to record all First Runs of Battlestar Galatica. An episode of BG is scheduled to air twice on its night and both episodes are flagged as First Run. When looking in the Guide (or via the Prioritizer Episodes), both showings of that one episode will have the R)) icon although only the first would record.

I did not have any blank recordings, although I have never had that with my R15 either.

I have not had any sound dropouts, although I have noticed an increase in random pixelation in my recordings in the most recent software versions compared to when I first got it. I have also had a couple audio synch issues in the most recent software release, but that has been fixed after using TrickPlay.

Since the R22 is based off of the software of the HR21-100, you should be able to get a fairly accurate idea of any issues affecting it by looking at the HR21-100 issue threads.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#130 OFFLINE   scr

scr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:22 AM

Mine works great! I have a sound sync problem when I hit the 30 sec SKIP multiple times but a quick "jump back" fixes it. I have not had a blank recording on mine. Mine has never gotten "stuck". No R)) bug either.

Thanks for the reply is yours the R15 or the new R22?

#131 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for the reply is yours the R15 or the new R22?

R22-100.... Notice 30 sec. SKIP not SLIP.
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

#132 OFFLINE   scr

scr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:28 AM

Merg,

Thanks for the reply, I swear I get the same R15 each time they replace it. However the serial numbers are different so I guess it really can't be.

However, I do get most of the same problems after an update to the software. Until then they seem to work fine, except for the R)) bug.

I have no intrest in HD so I have not looked into the HR21 comments but will do so.

Stan

ON Edit:
Are the R22's available at the big box stores yet?

#133 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:11 AM

Protection Plan

Or Pay Plenty every month to avoid extending programming commitment when something breaks down. :)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#134 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:17 AM

Or Pay Plenty every month to avoid extending programming commitment when something breaks down. :)

I use the PP and feel it is a good investment. I've had a couple of times where I've needed my dish re-aligned and I am not able to get to it to do it myself. Also, if anything goes wrong with any part of the dish (I've had a multi-switch go bad) or wiring into the house, it's covered. At the time the multi-switch was a $75 item, so it worked out pretty well.

- Merg

#135 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:31 AM

ON Edit:
Are the R22's available at the big box stores yet?

There not listed on Circuit Cities or Best Buy's website yet.
Neither are the AM21's and I want to pick one up and hook it up to the R22 to see if it works....
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

#136 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:37 AM

No. Series links work exceptionally well. And you can set them up for a show on multiple channels if you wish.

Do you get blank recordings??

Yes. Just like the HR21-100 does (see HR21-100 CE threads)

Sound drop outs???

No. And the audio & video don't get "out of sync" like the HD DVR's either.

No. You can always get playback going again with the remote-even if a signal dropout occurs during the recording. And it doesn't pull the "terminate playback early would you like to delete" annoyance like the R15 occasionally still does.

I would keep your R15. I'm keeping mine. Every new software release for the R15 is making it better. The "R)) icon bug" is almost completely fixed. My biggest complaint about the R22 is that the standard definition picture quality using the S-VIDEO or COMPOSITE outputs is considerably poorer than either of my R15-300's or earlier SD receivers. (This is on an old 32" tube-type TV). The component output is 480p so if your TV has a component input BUT it doesn't support 480p the picture will roll. It also has an HDMI output which is active. If you have an HDTV but don't wish to pay DirecTV for HD, this is the DVR for you. If you have an older TV and just want a SD DVR, I'd keep/request an R15/R16, especially if your older TV only has an RF (F-Connector) input. The R22 does not have a channel 3 output, nor can you route an over-the-air antenna signal through it like you can with the R15/16.

Thanks

Your welcome. Hope the info has been helpful!!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#137 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:44 AM

No. Series links work exceptionally well. And you can set them up for a show on multiple channels if you wish.

Yes. Just like the HR21-100 does (see HR21-100 CE threads)

No. And the audio & video don't get "out of sync" like the HD DVR's either.

No. You can always get playback going again with the remote-even if a signal dropout occurs during the recording. And it doesn't pull the "terminate playback early would you like to delete" annoyance like the R15 occasionally still does.

I would keep your R15. I'm keeping mine. Every new software release for the R15 is making it better. The "R)) icon bug" is almost completely fixed. My biggest complaint about the R22 is that the standard definition picture quality using the S-VIDEO or COMPOSITE outputs is considerably poorer than either of my R15-300's or earlier SD receivers. (This is on an old 32" tube-type TV). The component output is 480p so if your TV has a component input BUT it doesn't support 480p the picture will roll. It also has an HDMI output which is active. If you have an HDTV but don't wish to pay DirecTV for HD, this is the DVR for you. If you have an older TV and just want a SD DVR, I'd keep/request an R15/R16, especially if your older TV only has an RF (F-Connector) input. The R22 does not have a channel 3 output, nor can you route an over-the-air antenna signal through it like you can with the R15/16.

Your welcome. Hope the info has been helpful!!

Gotta disagree on a couple of points. As I stated the R)) bug is not completely fixed. It will display the R)) icon next to all instances of a First Run episode even though only one of those episodes will be recorded. Repeats will not be flagged with the R)) icon.

As for audio/video synch issues, I have had it a couple times on the most recent software release, but it was easily corrected after a TrickPlay function.

Also, component does work with TV's requiring an input of 480i.

- Merg

#138 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:56 AM

Gotta disagree on a couple of points. As I stated the R)) bug is not completely fixed.

Didn't say it was. I said "ALMOST completely fixed".

As for audio/video synch issues, I have had it a couple times on the most recent software release, but it was easily corrected after a TrickPlay function.

I've only experienced this issue when using "30 second skip". Only CE software has this feature. Readers of this forum may not be in the CE program.

Also, component does work with TV's requiring an input of 480i.

I do not have a TV with a component input but another R22 user does and he stated that his picture rolled when using the component output because his TV does not support 480p so I guess that one is heresay as a lawyer would describe it.

#139 ONLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,755 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:04 AM

Can someone tell me what IR remote addsresses this new receiver uses? 00001 & 00002 or 00001 & 00003? or something else? thanks
aka Tivoburkee

#140 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:11 AM

Can someone tell me what IR remote addsresses this new receiver uses? 00001 & 00002 or 00001 & 00003? or something else? thanks

Same as the HR21-100.

spam firewall