Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk.com First Look: R22-100 Standard Definition DVR

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,926 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:20 AM

I've gone ahead and e-mailed Stuart a revised First Look with a correction about the resolutions of the R22. As pointed out, there was an error by omission. The new text reads as follows:

The resolution button is not used on the receiver. The resolution LEDs show possible resolutions of 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. While being used, the receiver always listed its output as being 480p, although via S-video, component, and composite connections, it did display on TV’s that required 480i input. The component and HDMI connections worked fine on TV’s requiring an input of 480p.

The changed text is in bold. I hope that helps to clarify things.

- Merg

As zuf confirmed earlier, the above description still has a mistake in it Merg. The corrected boldface text should read;

... although via S-video, and composite connections, it did display on TV’s that required 480i input. The component and HDMI connections worked fine on TV’s requiring an input of 480p.

Or the mention of "component" should have been omitted in the first instance. May want to try and re-email stuart with the correct info. before he post the one you just sent.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,926 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:36 AM

BTW, I’m still a curious about something here. The appearance of newer LiL markets in standard definition MPEG-4 on Ka band has been going on for a while now, in fact since late last year IIRC. And the way it was explained to me at the time was that the SD subscribers in these newer local markets were using a software restricted version of the HR21 to receive their LiLs and other SD programming.

If so, then what is really "new" about the R22? :confused:

#143 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,754 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:37 AM

Same as the HR21-100.

So that allows one to have 3 SD dvr's in the same room without conflicts, using IR. Having your two R15's set to 00001 & 00002, and then have this receiver set to 00003.
aka Tivoburkee

#144 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:47 AM

So that allows one to have 3 SD dvr's in the same room without conflicts, using IR. Having your two R15's set to 00001 & 00002, and then have this receiver set to 00003.

I believe you are correct! While we are on the topic of remotes with the master, ;) problems were observed using the R22 with an RF remote. It seemed to require multiple button pushes (ignored commands) occasionally.

The R22 can be used with an RF remote or an IR remote but not both at the same time like the R15 (if you know how to set it up to do this which I assume you do).

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#145 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:51 AM

As zuf confirmed earlier, the above description still has a mistake in it Merg. The corrected boldface text should read;

... although via S-video, and composite connections, it did display on TV’s that required 480i input. The component and HDMI connections worked fine on TV’s requiring an input of 480p.

Or the mention of "component" should have been omitted in the first instance. May want to try and re-email stuart with the correct info. before he post the one you just sent.

I believe we confirmed that component worked on both inputs of 480i and 480p. I will double check on that to make sure. If not, I will have component removed from the first sentence.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#146 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:54 AM

Some day maybe, remember there alot of R15's, D10, 11s and 12s out there but since the SD channels are on MPEG2 satellites I fail to see how that would free up bandwith for HD.... Better resolution on SD channels or more, different SD channels would be possible.

As you have deduced, it can't happen until all the current MPEG2 only receivers are replaced with MPEG4 HD capable receivers... which won't happen for many years, but make no mistake, that is the plan and the MPEG2 SD channels will eventually go away.... and it will be before all the SD only customers are gone.

#147 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 May 2008 - 11:55 AM

Does it have the R)) bug?

No. Series links work exceptionally well. And you can set them up for a show on multiple channels if you wish.

I would keep your R15. I'm keeping mine. Every new software release for the R15 is making it better. The "R)) icon bug" is almost completely fixed. My biggest complaint ...

I missed the comment in the last paragraph. I saw your answer at the top where you replied "No" about the R)) bug.

Didn't say it was. I said "ALMOST completely fixed".

I do not have a TV with a component input but another R22 user does and he stated that his picture rolled when using the component output because his TV does not support 480p so I guess that one is heresay as a lawyer would describe it.

I'll double-check on that, but I believe someone said they got component to work via 480i input.

- Merg

#148 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 12:06 PM

BTW, I’m still a curious about something here. The appearance of newer LiL markets in standard definition MPEG-4 on Ka band has been going on for a while now, in fact since late last year IIRC. And the way it was explained to me at the time was that the SD subscribers in these newer local markets were using a software restricted version of the HR21 to receive their LiLs and other SD programming.

If so, then what is really "new" about the R22? :confused:

The face plate is matte black instead of glossy black. Other than that, it seems to be the same hardware as an HR21.

#149 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 12:29 PM

I believe we confirmed that component worked on both inputs of 480i and 480p. I will double check on that to make sure. If not, I will have component removed from the first sentence.

- Merg

Component never worked on mine.The picture rolled because I believed that the Component connections were 480p.While my SDTV only accepts 480i.:confused:

I have a DVD player that does 480i Component and that works good.;)

#150 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 12:35 PM

Some day maybe, remember there alot of R15's, D10, 11s and 12s out there but since the SD channels are on MPEG2 satellites I fail to see how that would free up bandwith for HD.... Better resolution on SD channels or more, different SD channels would be possible.

There seems to be a fair amount of misinformation being spread in this thread.

There are no Mpeg2 satellites. MpegX is a compression scheme. The current sats could broadcast in Morse code if they wanted to. Wouldn't be terribly efficient but it could be done.

The sats themselves transmit in bands, be it C, Ku, Ka, ect. Not HD/SD. Up until the H/HR2x and now the R22 they have all been strictly Ku band and Mpeg2. The H/HR2x & R22 are dual band with Ku/Ka capability and Mpeg2/4 decoding.

It's my belief that there will be SD channels around for a long, long time. For some stations, it simply isn't worth it for them to invest the funds for all new equipment. I do think those stations will die a slow and painful death.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#151 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 12:41 PM

Sorry for the late reply (work and family interfere), but great work on the First Look folks. :) Glad you've been busy ironing out the details so the rest of us can simply enjoy. :)

As for me, I'm looking forward to getting an R22 someday to stick in the master bedroom - MRV (someday) and media share will get a lot of use in there. I'll probably move the R15-500 there to the kid's room, but it'll have to wait a bit. I've got a couple older PPV items on that box (recorded before the 24-hour policy went into effect) that I don't want to lose. ;)

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#152 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 12:58 PM

On the Financial results call Chase just mentioned rolling out an SD DVR that will be software upgradable to HD.

It has to be the R22 or else it has a pretty short shelf life.

#153 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:02 PM

As I said, there's nothing in the hardware that would stop an R22 from being upgraded to HD, just that DIRECTV hasn't said that they will do this. They could decide to do it in the future, or it could be like the USB ports on a DirecTivo... permanently "Future Use".
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#154 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:29 PM

Neither are the AM21's and I want to pick one up and hook it up to the R22 to see if it works....

If you send me your R22, I'll be more than happy to test it with my AM21:lol:

#155 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:22 PM

If you send me your R22, I'll be more than happy to test it with my AM21:lol:

What a sacrifice to make in order to fully test the new box - a true Cutting Edge offer if I've ever heard one! :lol:

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#156 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:53 PM

In the investor presentation they said before they get to one receiver for everyone SD or HD there would be an interem receiver that would be SD but upgradable to HD. This might be the first step in getting there.

this relates to a question I had about why to develop SD receivers. I did not see this presentation, but this leads me to believe they are going to 1 HD / SD receiver in the future. am I understanding correctly?
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#157 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:01 PM

this relates to a question I had about why to develop SD receivers. I did not see this presentation, but this leads me to believe they are going to 1 HD / SD receiver in the future. am I understanding correctly?

Yes it appears that is what DirecTV wants to do. The goal is to have just one receiver that would be easily upgraded from SD to HD with "just the flip of a switch".

- Merg

#158 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:26 PM

Can the R22 use a standard 18" circular dish that accesses 101, Or must it be oval and access 72.5 and 101?
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#159 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:27 PM

As I said, there's nothing in the hardware that would stop an R22 from being upgraded to HD, just that DIRECTV hasn't said that they will do this. They could decide to do it in the future, or it could be like the USB ports on a DirecTivo... permanently "Future Use".

Or like the R15 ports also.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#160 OFFLINE   JJJBBB

JJJBBB

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:30 PM

And what should they do with the majority of their customers that are SD customers? Tell them to go away we only want HD customers? This receiver IMHO is the start of a migration to mpeg4 only. Many channels do not need to be HD. If those types of channels were in Mpeg4 they could reduce the bandwidth and still improve the picture quality. In time I'm guessing these types of receivers will be the only SD available to new subs and when the amount of mpeg2 receivers is low enough there will be a swap so that mpeg2 can be turned off in favor of mpeg4. For the cost of a satellite launch you could replace a lot of SD boxes and go to mpeg4 and not need the new satellite and uplink centers and all the rest of the infrastructure.

Just an opinion however I expect D*, E* an the Cable companies will be doing this sort of theng sooner or later and the laggard will be sorry.

ok
NATIONAL HD... I want it all, I want it now. I've been really patient. (Will dance for more HD :stickman:)

spam firewall