Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk.com First Look: R22-100 Standard Definition DVR

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 05:31 PM

My R15 has a off air pass through. Does the R22 have that?

I'd still need a converter anyway, I would just give my coupons away and buy one I can DVR.......
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

Slimline III with a 4X8 multiswitch and an SWM8
18" round dish with a 4X8 switch on the garage

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#202 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 05:45 PM

During a storm it is nice to get my locals ota and it is nice to get my neighboring locals OTA aswell.... Locals over cable can't be DVR'd on your DirecTV DVR, and why pay $12.00 per month when they are crystal clear for free.....

I agree with you. But the vast majority of people in this country do not have an antenna and don't want one. It's just the fact.

And what I meant by "that's what cable is for" is that people don't understand why you'd use an antenna to get channels you get with cable or satellite. Yes I know there are subchannels and such but guess what...those people don't know they exist and don't care.

#203 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 08:56 AM

Besides, the analog shutdown has nothing to do with D* anyway. Everything is already digital.

Yes it does. Some of their customers get SD locals using NTSC OTA. Now they have to sign up for locals. Most of those people (like me) will sign up for locals on the 72.5 bird. If the locals aren't going to be there, then suddenly most of the customers in these markets need all new receivers, DVRs, and dishes, and they need to be installed before the NTSC cutoff date. D* needs to anticipate that demand so they don't run out of hardware and leave these customers without locals.

But this is the same company who released the AM21 over six months AFTER they discontinued the HR20, leaving over a third of their customers with no method of receiving and recording any local HD channels. So planning is not their strength.

#204 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:22 AM

Yes it does. Some of their customers get SD locals using NTSC OTA. Now they have to sign up for locals. Most of those people (like me) will sign up for locals on the 72.5 bird. If the locals aren't going to be there, then suddenly most of the customers in these markets need all new receivers, DVRs, and dishes, and they need to be installed before the NTSC cutoff date. D* needs to anticipate that demand so they don't run out of hardware and leave these customers without locals.

But this is the same company who released the AM21 over six months AFTER they discontinued the HR20, leaving over a third of their customers with no method of receiving and recording any local HD channels. So planning is not their strength.

Those that get locals via NTSC OTA can still get a digital ATSC OTA converter stand alone box for their SDTV OTA locals or the AM21 to go with with the HR20/21-R22.:)

#205 OFFLINE   crashHD

crashHD

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:26 AM

If they're already getting NTSC OTA, then they're only one "almost free after coupon" converter box away from getting ATSC OTA. Although some will probably look to DirecTV for locals, I would think most in that situation would go with the digital box. They've already got the antenna, and that's the hard part.

#206 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:26 AM

If they're already getting NTSC OTA, then they're only one "almost free after coupon" converter box away from getting ATSC OTA. Although some will probably look to DirecTV for locals, I would think most in that situation would go with the digital box. They've already got the antenna, and that's the hard part.

Exactly, why would they look to DirecTV for their locals? Especially if DirecTV doesn't even carry their locals as it is. My in-laws are NTSC OTA only. They certainly aren't even thinking about DirecTV or Dish or whatnot. They'll get their free coupon and go get a digital tuner box and be done with it.

NTSC shutdown has nothing to do with DirecTV, nothing at all. Other then DirecTV may try to advertise some to those people to get them to get satellite. But they have already talked about this in their investor conference calls that they aren't really targeting those people.
If you think about it, if you are OTA only you don't really care for much beyond the OTA channels. Thus your first choice is probably going to be Dish as they have a much cheaper entry package. Or perhaps cable and "lifeline basic" package for $12 a month. DirecTV probably isn't going to be all that high on the list. ;)

And I'm not sure what locals on 72.5 have anything to do with it either. Those locals on 72.5 are going to be moved off because DirecTV's lease of the satellite is expiring. They appear to be moving those locals to the KA band sats at 99 or 103 and are in MPEG4. Thus the simple need for an MPEG4 capable SD DVR which they have now rolled out before this migration off 72.5 begins. So DirecTV is very much on the ball here and has equipment in place for those that need it.

#207 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:04 PM

No the analog shutdown doesn't have anything to do with DirecTV, other than it might drive some new customers to them, but OTA locals are not going away. They are still going to be available as OTA digital locals. If someone doesn’t have digital OTA receiving capability and they rather use DirecTV to get the locals instead of upgrading their own OTA receiver capability, I would suggest that it is them who has to do some advance planning to make sure that they are ready when the analogs are shut off.

#208 OFFLINE   dkouz

dkouz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:09 PM

I got my first R22 today,

:drumroll:

it was shiny! not matte like the first look. If someone really wants, I could get another out of the box and take a picture...

#209 OFFLINE   qwerty

qwerty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:03 PM

it was shiny! not matte like the first look. If someone really wants, I could get another out of the box and take a picture...

Hmm. The initial testers got units that were gloos black. Ours weren't production units though. I wonder if you might have somehow got one the pre-production units?

#210 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:05 AM

What does the label on the back say it is...an R22 or an HR21?

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#211 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,663 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:42 AM

How many did you get?

“The cave you fear to enter, holds the treasure you seek.” 
― 
Joseph Campbell

#212 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 12:10 PM

What does the label on the back say it is...an R22 or an HR21?

More importantly, what does it say when you hit "menu" and go to "system info"? or just hold down the info button on the remote?
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

#213 OFFLINE   dkouz

dkouz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:10 PM

Sorry for the late reply...

These are R22-100s

I have seen many of these over the past weeks, as I am a technician. Every one of these are shiny.

#214 OFFLINE   dodge boy

dodge boy

R.I.P. Chris Henry

• Banned User
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:57 PM

Sorry for the late reply...

These are R22-100s

I have seen many of these over the past weeks, as I am a technician. Every one of these are shiny.

The production units are not supposed to be..... The're supposed to be Matt Black.
My equipment:
1 HR22-100 leased
1 HR22-100 owned
1 HR23-700 owned
1 R22-100 owned
1 R22-200 owned

#215 OFFLINE   tcblack

tcblack

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 03:44 PM

Whew, just read the whole thread and no mention of a few points of interest.
1. does the USB port do anything? On my R15 it's only for some technician tool I think.

2. does the SATA port enable hookup of an SATA drive so I can expand available space? (related to USB question)

3. Since the R22 can read a media share from other computers... can other computers access the media on the R22?

4. Anything like telnet or ssh access?

5. To verify what I think I understand regarding the ethernet ports: they're just a pass through right so you can "daisy chain" another Ethernet device? Or is there some other purpose to the dual ethernet like "failover"?

#216 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,936 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 03:59 PM

The USB port lets you use the AM21 antenna module if you already have HD Access on your account. Otherwise, nothing.

You can hookup an eSATA enclosure. Support is limited and you lose access to the internal drive if you hookup the eSATA.

Other computers can't access anything from the R22. A Multi-Room solution will come, someday, but I don't know when.

There is no meaningful telnet access. If you telnet its IP address you get some information but you can't go anywhere with it.

The network ports are basically like a built-in 2-port switch with auto crossover. You can daisychain another device or plug the network line into whichever port (some people report having to use one specific port).
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#217 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:46 PM

You can hookup an eSATA enclosure. Support is limited and you lose access to the internal drive if you hookup the eSATA.

having to use one specific port).

I thought external eSATA drive support was disabled on the R22 product (like a lot of other things the HR21 has). :confused:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#218 OFFLINE   tcblack

tcblack

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:47 AM

Thanks Stuart Sweet for the answers.

I've been trying to read on some of this for awhile and I've got one coming Thursday :) so I'm trying to get prepared.

#219 OFFLINE   dkouz

dkouz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:00 PM

Here is a 'case' update.

2+ months since the first R22-100s we saw, the receivers that we have now have a matte finish.

#220 OFFLINE   tcblack

tcblack

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:58 PM

The installer just left, it's plugged and working and it's a beautiful matte black.

One question: What format of video's is it supposed to play if using upnp server? I can see the folders but it won't play the video's I have in the folder.

#221 OFFLINE   jbwjbw

jbwjbw

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:38 PM

I thought external eSATA drive support was disabled on the R22 product (like a lot of other things the HR21 has). :confused:

Has anyone confirmed if the eSATA drive is supported on the R22 or not for sure?

For the receivers that do support eSATA, if your receiver dies, can it be connected to the replacement receiver and view what was recored. Or are the eSATA only to give more/greater recording only?

- Justin

#222 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,839 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:40 PM

Has anyone confirmed if the eSATA drive is supported on the R22 or not for sure?

For the receivers that do support eSATA, if your receiver dies, can it be connected to the replacement receiver and view what was recored. Or are the eSATA only to give more/greater recording only?

- Justin

As far as I know eSATA drives work fine with R22's.

If you have to replace the DVR the recording will still show in the playlist but the will not play. The recordings are married to the unit they are recorded on.

Your series links will still work.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...