Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

USB External Drive reliability?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PanamaMike

PanamaMike

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:41 PM

I had my Maxtor One touch III 750 GB drive croak on me with less than 3 mons. use! I'd like to know what kind of luck other people out there are having with their external drives. I for one haven't had good luck with Maxtors in general. I had one in my Series 2 Tivo that croaked after about 1.5 yrs use. Note that I use UPS on all of my devices.

Are there any drives that can stand up to the DVR punishment?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:53 PM

Looks like it's sort of a roulette for users - sometimes you got bad HDD from bad batch of good line.
Recently WD disks did shows best results en mass.

#3 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:54 PM

I use a Western Digital Mybook with my 722. It works great. Also noteworthy is that I pull the power cable when not in use since the USB port on my receiver does not go into standby with the receiver.

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:36 PM

Two Western Digital MyBook Essential 750GB Hard Drives with a 722 here. I also disconnect them completely when not in use though both have been connected during overnight update/reboot times. Seem reliable, but then they really don't get much use compared to computer drives installed internally. If you look for one be sure to get the "Essential" model, not only cheaper but actually works cleanly with Dish DVRs, a track record which the more expensive version doesn't share based on comments on other threads.

Every manufacturer has had the occasional problem model. A few years ago WD put out a model WD740 and I bought two because I was building two new computers and these were new really fast drives. Nothing but complaints on the web within two months - crashes on the boot track. I found a way to keep them running for two years though it slowed the data transfer, but when one quit booting, I pulled the data off both and replaced them. Over the years I have had mixed results with Maxtor drives also but not really a high % of failures, just seemingly more than WD.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 OFFLINE   PanamaMike

PanamaMike

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:43 PM

I've been around HD's long enough to know they all have their share of problems. However, I was a bit surprised at the trend I'm seeing with Maxtor, at least personally. I think we should be able to at least expect 2 yrs. of operation out of these things

Guess what bugs me most is that I lost all of my movies and BSG HD episodes :(
500GB worth

Mike

#6 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:50 PM

I had my Maxtor One touch III 750 GB drive croak on me with less than 3 mons. use! I'd like to know what kind of luck other people out there are having with their external drives. I for one haven't had good luck with Maxtors in general. I had one in my Series 2 Tivo that croaked after about 1.5 yrs use. Not that I use UPS on all of my devices.

I use Western Digital My Book Essential drives. Other than my 622 didn't like EHD's, they have worked fine with my 722.
They also spin down after a few minutes of idle.
I assume that you meant you DO use UPS's on your devices. :)
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#7 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:51 PM

I have used internal and external USB Maxtor drives for many years on many different machines without problems. My Maxtor One Touch 750gb has worked well since the EHD feature became available. I do however, only power it up when I want to use it.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#8 OFFLINE   Westking

Westking

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:45 AM

I had my Maxtor One touch III 750 GB drive croak on me with less than 3 mons. use! I'd like to know what kind of luck other people out there are having with their external drives. I for one haven't had good luck with Maxtors in general. I had one in my Series 2 Tivo that croaked after about 1.5 yrs use. Note that I use UPS on all of my devices.

I have had a Maxtor One Touch4, 750GB external drive running without problems for about four months now. I will say that what I am seeing here about reliability has me crossing my fingers. I do have an identical drive in service with a PC and it has been running continuously and problem free for about 8 months. I also have a 500GB Maxtor external drive on another PC that has been running continuously for about 18 months. I never bother to power down these drives and hope that perhaps the “sleep” mode is I helping to extend their lives. I am not particularly a Maxtor fan. It just seems that at the specific times I wanted to make purchases, Maxtor was coincidently offering the most competitive pricing.

#9 OFFLINE   kokishin

kokishin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 454 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 08:48 AM

I have had past problems with Maxtor and WD. I only buy Seagate. I have no affiliation to any HDD companies.

#10 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:27 AM

I have had past problems with Maxtor and WD. I only buy Seagate. I have no affiliation to any HDD companies.

You do know Seagate owns Maxtor... Right?

#11 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:45 AM

This is why I only buy Western Digital. :D
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#12 OFFLINE   kokishin

kokishin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 454 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:56 PM

I know. Mercedes bought Chrysler (and later sold it). Didn't turn Chrysler into a Mercedes - did it?

#13 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:58 PM

This is why I only buy Western Digital. :D

Never say that! You'll screw up our luck.:sure:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#14 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:01 AM

I know. Mercedes bought Chrysler (and later sold it). Didn't turn Chrysler into a Mercedes - did it?

Actually, The Crossfire was on a Mercedes SLK chassis, the Sprinter Is a rebadged MB cargo van and the MB diesel engine remains, the Chrysler 300 is on a E chassis, the R class is based off the Pacifica chassis, the GL is a lux'ed out and rebadged Grand Cherokee, etc...

Lots of part swapping occurred during the Daimler days at Chrysler, I live in a town with a Chrysler factory. Amazing what the engineers I know here have to say about the whole relationship.

#15 OFFLINE   jedipastor

jedipastor

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:20 PM

Can you use the 1TB Western Digital hard drive yet? I know the original cap was 750GB but they were planning on officially supporting 1TB. Does anyone know for sure?

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:08 AM

Many ppl using 1TB HDD with success.

#17 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:58 AM

Like P. Smith said. People are using 1 TB drives with success, but Dish has official stated 750GB as the limit at this point in time. They did make mention that they hope to support larger drives in the future, but then again there is nothing stopping them from deciding 750GB is the most they can do comfortably and then putting a hard limit rendering all those 1TB drives out there useless.

For that reason.. I recommend going with 750GB and less...
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:07 PM

Fry's have 3/4 of TB HDD for $99 !

spam firewall