Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Slimline antenna tower install

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:25 PM

Here is the 40' tower.

Posted Image

The 18"x12"x1/4" aluminium sheet is attached to the tower with 6 ubolts(double nutted 1 reg and 1 lucking nut).

Posted Image

The foot is attached to the sheet aluminium using all five of the mounting holes in the foot. (double nutted also.)

Posted Image

We used two monopoles 1 is ubolted to the tower and the other is lag screwd to the house.

Posted Image

The final product.

Posted Image

The sheet metal was my idea but the dish was intalled by D*. Its seems rock solid. The pole does not move when you shake it. :)

One final pic is of the the old 101/72.5 combo 24" dishes. The 72.5 is in use but I left the 101 for backup just in case.

Posted Image

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:08 PM

Very nice. A couple of questions.

How did you talk your wife into letting you put that up? :)

And, how is the tower mast installed? How deep? How much concrete was used etc.?
DBSTalk Chat Room Mod (I reserve the right to be wrong.)

AT9 to SWM16
LR: HR24-100 to Panasonic 50" w/ Sony HTIB/FR: HR20-700 to Samsung LN55B640
Office: HR34-700 to Panasonic 50" w/ HD-A2
Office: H21-200 to 36" SD TV/BR: HR21-200 to Samsung 32" LCD
My full setup in Visio: http://www.dbstalk.c...8&postcount=105

#3 OFFLINE   dcoelho

dcoelho

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:14 PM

What manufacturer/model of antenna is this? This is exactly the kind of setup I've been considering installing, but haven't seen as nice an antenna design as you have.

#4 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:17 PM

Very nice. A couple of questions.

How did you talk your wife into letting you put that up? :)

And, how is the tower mast installed? How deep? How much concrete was used etc.?

First one was easy. No wife. ;)

The tower is about 2 1/2 to 3 feet deep with a base of rock for drainage then concreted to ground level. Then about half way up it is mounted to the roof with some steel bars lag screwed into the roof.

I should have taked a pic of the antenna on top. Its a winegard with pre amp about 9-10 years old (largest one at the time UHF/VHF) so i can't remember the name. But its pulling in champaign il which is probably 50+ miles away.

I'll add a pic of it tommorrow.

#5 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 08:48 PM

The tower is Rohn 25. Good stuff. If you put the first 10' section in 4' of concrete, it's free-standing for the next 50' with a nice-sized antenna on top. Of course Rohn would never rate it that way, but that's how strong it really is. Provided you don't put the 7/16" bolts in the 1/2' bolt holes and no bolts in the 7/16" bolt holes. But that's another story.....:)
Stew in Florida

HR21-100 (eSATA: Seagate Barracuda 750gb/Antec MX-1), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Onkyo A/V (optical), Slingbox Pro/WLI-TX4-G54HP
HR20-700 (eSATA: FreeAgent Pro 750gb), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Pioneer A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi LT-37132 (HDMI), Sony A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi WD-65731 (HDMI)
H20-600 (x 2)

#6 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:24 PM

An added benefit...........consider a lightning rod at the top. There is a 45 degree "cone of protection" inside the circumference of th circle formed by the
center point where H = r.........forty foot up = forty foot out. But ....you gotta connect the correct lightning down cable. Seek further advise.

Joe

#7 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:16 PM

Provided you don't put the 7/16" bolts in the 1/2' bolt holes and no bolts in the 7/16" bolt holes. But that's another story.....:)

Voice of experience?????

My Rohn 25 is 40 feet, 3 foot deep cement base, bolted to roof of garage at ten feet up. Solid as a rock. Without the bracing at the ten foot point, I wouldn't be comfortable working at the top.

I was a bit concerned when I first looked at Christopher's pictures, with the one monopole attached to the house. When I read the tower was braced at the roof line, I stopped worrying.

Carl

#8 OFFLINE   K4SMX

K4SMX

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 11:58 PM

Voice of experience?????.....Carl

Oh, it was an experience all right. A buddy of mine called me up one fine, windy Sunday afternoon in March to come over and change out the balun on his HiGain Yagi at the top of his 100' Rohn 25 tower. I knew why he'd burned it up. Let's just say it had been operated beyond it's power rating. I also knew his tower was guyed with polypropolene rope. But he promised me a steak dinner if I gave him a hand, so I headed on over.

As I started climbing it, I noticed that the bolts were missing at each 10' juncture in the 7/16" bolt holes at the top of each leg and that the bolts in the 1/2" holes were actually 7/16" at various odd angles. The tower had already been up for a year or more, so I figured it probably wouldn't fall that day, but I was kind of silently cursing whatever morons he had paid to build it. It is true that the bolt holes don't always line up too well on those Rohn tower sections, but all it would have taken was to hammer the bolts through. Only rarely have I ever had to send a piece back down to the ground for that reason.

Things started getting real interesting at about 60' up the tower. By the time I got to the top, my tag line for hoisting up the inevitable things you should have brought with you was blowing all the way over into the neighbors' yard, and the thing was swaying so much that when a big gust came through, I just closed my eyes and stopped doing anything for a minute.

I guess it was 15 minutes up there, but it seemed like forever. When I finally got back down to the ground, I sat on the ground, drank a giant water glass of wine, and started refocusing on that big steak dinner. I had visions of some 2" thick rib eyes on the grill. That was when he started talking about whether we should go to the Sirloin Junction or the Bonanza Steakhouse.

The whole tower fell shortly thereafter. A truck had backed up his driveway to make a delivery for his first wife while he wasn't home and had snagged one of the lower guy ropes. Justice prevailed. There have been several more wives since then....

Anyhow, that's a real first class installation, Christopher. I especially like that 1/4" aluminum plate. We'd like to see the UHF/VHF Yagi on top as well. Antennas are beautiful things to behold!
Stew in Florida

HR21-100 (eSATA: Seagate Barracuda 750gb/Antec MX-1), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Onkyo A/V (optical), Slingbox Pro/WLI-TX4-G54HP
HR20-700 (eSATA: FreeAgent Pro 750gb), Mitsubishi LT-46131 (HDMI), Pioneer A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi LT-37132 (HDMI), Sony A/V (optical)
HR20-700, Mitsubishi WD-65731 (HDMI)
H20-600 (x 2)

#9 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:02 AM

Voice of experience?????

My Rohn 25 is 40 feet, 3 foot deep cement base, bolted to roof of garage at ten feet up. Solid as a rock. Without the bracing at the ten foot point, I wouldn't be comfortable working at the top.

I was a bit concerned when I first looked at Christopher's pictures, with the one monopole attached to the house. When I read the tower was braced at the roof line, I stopped worrying.

Carl

On the opposite that monopole is a good support for the tower.

#10 OFFLINE   SledDog

SledDog

Icon

• Registered
  • 676 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:23 AM

I have installed many of these Rohn towers (25G) for SCADA systems. We would sink a middle section (no yoke) 4.5 feet in the ground with 1600 lbs of concrete. The next day we would build a 40 foot (+/-) tower by installing the sections one at a time. When the second section is installed, you would climb the tower, pull up the next section, set it, bolt it, then repeat the same process, building the tower as you go..

The top section, with the yoke, was installed and then we would install a 10 foot 1 1/4" pole with a yagi. According to our engineering documents, these installs are rated for 65 mph winds.

The way the OP has it braced would concern me if it was done in Florida. Normally a house bracket is used when a tower is placed this close to a home. It provides additional strength against movement. 2 1/2 to 3 feet of concrete sounds ok if the diameter of the hole provides for more then just a couple of bags.

Installing this type of tower always got comments from the people in the neighborhood. The utility we installed them for had a great way of dealing with home owners that did not like them.

Usually a home owner would see our crews installing one in the utility right of way and would demand we stop. Our reply was " Sorry but we have a contract to install the tower and telemetry controls on the sewage lift station that's in the right of way in front of your house. The city has told us to refer all complanits to them."

We would give the home owner a phone number to call while we continued to work. A city supervisor would show up and tell the customer that right of way does not belong to them. And the tower is required to monitor the station.

The he would basically tell them should not have bought a house with a lift station in the front yard. The city owns the right of way. If you don't like it, sell your house and move. But the SCADA system and tower will be installed. It did not matter if the house was worth 50,000 or 500,000. The answer they got was always the same.

The last thing we would install was the 10 foot anti-climb panels. The panels always made the tower stand out when you saw them from the roadway.
PhuturePrimitive, Kaya Project, Thievery Corporation, Crystal Method, Leftfield, Hybrid, Solar Fields

Huff 85 Heavy, turn left heading 300. Expect vectors thru final for controller amusement.

My A/V Equipment
DirecTV receiver, TV, home sound thingy, a bunch of remotes.

#11 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:52 AM

The man who installed this was 65 when he did it. I was amazed that he could still climb to the top at that age. He build the tower on the ground and then shifted it to the hole and pulled it up with a rope. Braced it to the house. Then climbed to the top and hoisted the antenna to the top. Wish I could remember the model number. The rotor still working fine. The pole it is mounted to is water pipe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is a shot of the house braced about 20' up. I need to get up there and clean the rust and paint braces. But not bad for 9-10 years of IL weather.

Posted Image

Here is the concrete. Still looks new, looks better than the concrete patio I had pour a couple of years ago.

Posted Image

spam firewall