Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Test drove a VIP622, have a few questions

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nowandthen

nowandthen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:48 PM

Stopped by a Radio Shack. They had a 622 hooked up. The "salesman" was pretty clueless.

A few questions.

1. I found where I can turn off picture in guide. I really like having that option. I cannot find a way to turn off the picture in the "VOD" list (is that what it's called, I don't remember. It's the list of your recorded shows). I would like to turn it off to avoid spoiling shows and sporting events.

2. I'm not sure I was in the right place, but I found a keyboard where you can search for shows. I'm not sure if there is another way to do this, but this particular method seemed clunky. On Directv and Tivo (if I recall correctly) as you type in letters, a list of shows are displayed to the right. The more letters you type the closer the match. On the 622 there was no list to the right. I typed a few letters then hit a button that took me to a search screen then I had to hit another button to make it search. Sorry about the poor description, I'm trying to explain as best I can. Is there another search for shows method or is this it?

3. Does the dish remote light up in the dark? I need this for the theater and my bedroom.

I'm looking for another option to Directv. Their HR21 drives me crazy. My only options are Dish or :eek2: cable :eek2: with good ol' Tivo.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:57 PM

1) Not that I know of.

2) That is the way it works.... often asked for feature

3) No.... but I use a Harmony remote.

#3 OFFLINE   nowandthen

nowandthen

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:06 PM

1) Not that I know of.

2) That is the way it works.... often asked for feature

3) No.... but I use a Harmony remote.

Thanks!

1) OK, then it's no worse than Directv's. ;)

2) It's not like I set up a lot of season passes so I guess I can live with it. No DVR is perfect, unfortunately. :)

3) It may take some practice to learn the layout so i can operate it in the dark. I could operate the Tivo remote in the dark (before they offered a lighted remote). I think the Tivo peanut remote has to be the world's best laid out remote.

I'll have to go back and play with it some more. It may take a little time to get used to it. There are however, many things I like about it! I'll have to decide which set of "faults" is less painful for ME.

#4 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:04 AM

Since you're able to lay out the dough for the home theater system, why not spend a little more and get the Harmony remote? I'm using the 880 pro and love mine.
The Cable and Satellite TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating its customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it, garnering them the distinction of "Most Universally Despised" of all PAY-TV providers in the industry.

#5 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:27 AM

... Is there another search for shows method or is this it? ...

Yes. If you simply press the search button with a show either selected on the guide or while viewing a show the event will be filled in in its entirety in the search window.

Also. I trust you noted that you had various options such as search the title only, search the description only, search requiring an exact match and search only specific genres. This flexibility is what required the multiple key entries.

#6 OFFLINE   mlaviolette

mlaviolette

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:51 AM

Be sure to check out all of the posts regarding the 622/722, especially those referencing the L4.49 software. I have a brand new 722 that I bought just before L4.49 was pushed out and it's still in the box where it will stay until I sell it on ebay or a new software level is available. My SD 625 works flawlessly and I don't have time to hassle with quirky software or hardware. You may want to try cable first - I assume they don't require a contract, so you could cancel without incurring any charges, and I haven't heard of any major receiver problems. At least that's what I would do. Good luck and let us know what happens.

#7 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:03 AM

Be sure to check out all of the posts regarding the 622/722, especially those referencing the L4.49 software. I have a brand new 722 that I bought just before L4.49 was pushed out and it's still in the box where it will stay until I sell it on ebay or a new software level is available. My SD 625 works flawlessly and I don't have time to hassle with quirky software or hardware. You may want to try cable first - I assume they don't require a contract, so you could cancel without incurring any charges, and I haven't heard of any major receiver problems. At least that's what I would do. Good luck and let us know what happens.

What "quirky software or hardware" with regards to the ViP722 is keeping you from installing your 722?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#8 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:09 AM

If you have not used the 722 how do you know you have any problems at all? There are thousands upon thousands of these units out in customer homes that perform perfectly.

If you base your opinion on what you read here, you will be way off base. The only people posting here are people having problems. You won't see posts from all the happy users.

I don't know anything about your situation but it seems to me you are offering advice without having any experience with the subject.
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#9 OFFLINE   dbrakob

dbrakob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:16 AM

I'm happy with my 722. It works great!

#10 OFFLINE   dbrakob

dbrakob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:18 AM

Thanks!

3) It may take some practice to learn the layout so i can operate it in the dark. I could operate the Tivo remote in the dark (before they offered a lighted remote). I think the Tivo peanut remote has to be the world's best laid out remote.

I think you will have no problems "memorizing" the remote in a week or so. Some nights my wife has headaches and likes it completely dark when we are watching TV and my fingers somehow "know" where the buttons are. Most are in different shapes but even the ones that are the same are easy enough to find in the dark.

#11 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:58 AM

I think you will have no problems "memorizing" the remote in a week or so. Some nights my wife has headaches and likes it completely dark when we are watching TV and my fingers somehow "know" where the buttons are. Most are in different shapes but even the ones that are the same are easy enough to find in the dark.

I very much agree with this. The button layout is well thought out. I especially like the shape of the Pause button. It is placed in the middle of the remote and acts as a great orientation button when the room is dark.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#12 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:41 AM

I'm happy with my 722. It works great!

Me too!
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#13 OFFLINE   nowandthen

nowandthen

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:38 PM

Since you're able to lay out the dough for the home theater system, why not spend a little more and get the Harmony remote? I'm using the 880 pro and love mine.

I have a Harmony. In general I like it but for DVRs I have found the DVR remote is usually better. I must say that I have a hard time feeling for the right button on the harmony in a dark room. It is back lit but you have to hit a benign button or you'll do something you didn't intend to do. :eek2:

#14 OFFLINE   nowandthen

nowandthen

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:39 PM

Having a button like the pause button in the middle is nice. It looks like I would be able to feel my way around after a while.

#15 OFFLINE   nowandthen

nowandthen

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:42 PM

OK, I played with the 622 a little more. The search still has me a bit baffled. I searched for "Ant" (no quotes) since Ant Wars was playing I knew it should find the show. It did find the show but it also returned all kinds of titles with "ant" in the name, For example if found a show with "elephant" in the title. Is this the way it always works? Seems kind of odd. If I wanted elephants I would search for elephants, no?

#16 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:14 PM

... Is this the way it always works?...

Type "ANT space" and you won't return words with the string "ant" buried inside. :)

Also, search Films only and leave out the no interest categories. (I assume "The Ant" is a movie?) :D

#17 OFFLINE   nowandthen

nowandthen

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 06:15 PM

Type "ANT space" and you won't return words with the string "ant" buried inside. :)

Also, search Films only and leave out the no interest categories. (I assume "The Ant" is a movie?) :D

I was hoping it was operator error. The show was Ant Wars. Apparently an HD series on ants.

OK that removes one of my "concerns". Back to Radio Shack to play some more.

Thanks!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...