Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

612s rebooting constantly

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   belcherwm

belcherwm

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:49 PM

I've got two 612s and a 722. Both the 612s are rebooting over and over about every two minutes. The HDTV blue light and the green power light come on and there is the loud hard drive spinning up noise. This lasts for about 30 seconds to a minute and then it stops. It only does this when the units are powered off and on standby and not recording. I'll be calling DISH in the morning, but wanted to know what you all thought.
Bill

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Polardog

Polardog

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:01 AM

I have one 612 and I am experiencing the same thing. I walked in the house yesterday after work and it was rebooting. It rebooted twice within 10 minutes. The unit was off and was not recording. When I woke up this morning it was rebooting. Again, it was in stand-by mode and not recording.
This has not happened while the unit is on and while watching TV.
Seems to be happening only when the unit is off.

#3 OFFLINE   Thinslice

Thinslice

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:36 AM

Aww yes! This was happening to me this morning as well. But I got more issues than that. Once the reciever goes dormant I lose HDMI signal. But as for the rebooting. Whats the deal? I've never had this problem until this morning.

#4 OFFLINE   langlin

langlin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 369 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:06 AM

I also have this rebooting problem, started yesterday. Only when the unit is off but may have happened yesterday during a recording also because I did have one recording that had a reboot in the middle of it.

Yes Thinslice, I've always had the HDMI dormant receiver loss too.
Sending pictures through the air is impossible, Television will never work!

Leon
Dish VIP722K
SW L6.62 Sat 1000 and 500 61.5/110/119/129
AbsoluteHD
Monitor Toshiba TW65x81 Component and Samsung HL-T7288W
Other Dish VIP612 SW L6.09

#5 OFFLINE   garywiley

garywiley

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:02 AM

I have the same issue. Last night my 612 started rebooting every 10 minutes. The unit was turned off. It seem to work OK when the unit is turned on.

I still have the intermittent HDMI issue and am on my second 612.

Gary

#6 OFFLINE   belcherwm

belcherwm

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:34 AM

I went through the Tech CSR this morning and came away with nothing. She was stumped and offered me two replacement units.

They had to roll something out for this to be happening to both my 612s at the same time. I'm going to give it 24 hours to see if it stops and then will contact DISH again to try and push for a better response than sending me two replacements.

If you read this and are experiencing the same issue as of May 13th or 14th, please call DISH so they can hear that this is happening to many 612 users.

Thanks,
Bill

#7 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:47 AM

Apparently, the issue has been resolved. Mine stopped rebooting an hour, or so, ago. :)
ViP722 - ViP622² - ViP612 - ViP211 - 510
Slingbox SOLO
Dish 1000+ 110/118/119/129 - HD Locals/118w - DPP44²
EHDD - 750g/500g - Broadband via HomePlug
Sony 51" HDRPTV² - Dell 23" HD LCD - Sharp Aquos 17" HD LCD
OTA - Winegard HD9095P - 55 miles

#8 OFFLINE   belcherwm

belcherwm

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:06 PM

Thanks Ken. I'll check when I get home.

The only thing I can think of is that DISH sent out something to cause the 612 to reload the program guide due to the new HD channels being added and the Voom channels being dropped. What do you think?
Bill

#9 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:18 PM

The Timing does seems to indicate it could be related to dropping the voom channels. Given multiple people with multiple boxes are seeing this with no software updates if makes a stronger case for change in the stream causing the issue. I would suggest doing hard cord reset and see if that corrects the issue if it has not already cleared up as someone suggested.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#10 OFFLINE   Thinslice

Thinslice

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:30 PM

I agree, but I also hope the found solution to all out problems of the HDMI loss. If I don't so something soon. My wife is gonna kill me if I dont do something about it. I'm on my second reciever with no solution to be found. I'm crossing my fingers :)

#11 OFFLINE   langlin

langlin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 369 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:47 PM

Apparently, the issue has been resolved. Mine stopped rebooting an hour, or so, ago. :)

Yes, the problem seems to be fixed, Good Job, Dish.:)

I don't think it had anything to do with programming or Voom. I think they added something to the "Screen Saver" that was flawed and it triggered a reboot each time that message cycled through???? That, of course, is a totally uneducated guess.
Sending pictures through the air is impossible, Television will never work!

Leon
Dish VIP722K
SW L6.62 Sat 1000 and 500 61.5/110/119/129
AbsoluteHD
Monitor Toshiba TW65x81 Component and Samsung HL-T7288W
Other Dish VIP612 SW L6.09

#12 OFFLINE   Polardog

Polardog

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:08 PM

My 612 was quiet when I came home from work an hour ago and has remained so.

#13 OFFLINE   Bobham

Bobham

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:28 PM

I have two 722 receivers, one of which was replaced for rebooting. The other only did so once every month, so it was tolerable. These receivers were both installed in a cabinet with glass door, and a fan to circulate air. For unrelated reasons, the cabinet was changed out with open shelves, so the receivers are now open to the room. I have not seen another reboot. The units were not hot in the cabinet, but perhaps the warmer temperature is part of the problem. If your receiver is sitting on a VCR, or other heat-generating device, you might try giving it some air. Just my .02

#14 OFFLINE   belcherwm

belcherwm

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:59 PM

Mine are both happy (and quiet) now. Wasn't a heat issue. I still think it has something to do with the change in HD channels. Just seems to be too close together to be a coincidence. Glad it got taken care of.
Bill

#15 OFFLINE   ChuckA

ChuckA

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:36 PM

A short while back they did something similar with the 622/722. There was a software update and the replacement specifications were incorrect. The update specified that it was replaced by the same software version so everytime it downloaded new software and rebooted it saw there was a replacement software level and it looped installing it and booting. Is there a new software version on the 612 today?
Receivers: ViP622 (dual mode), ViP722k (single mode), 311
Dish 1000
America's "Everything" Pack & HD
TV1: SONY 55" KDF-55WF655; HDMI & Components connections
OTA Antenna in attic
PocketDish AV700E

#16 OFFLINE   Polardog

Polardog

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:57 PM

My 612 software version remains at L474.
No more rebooting so far.

#17 OFFLINE   DBS Commando

DBS Commando

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:31 PM

Mine never experienced this problem.

Then again, I dropped Dish HD Ultimate a month ago. . .

#18 OFFLINE   lkewin

lkewin

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:40 PM

I called Tech Support when the problem began and called again on Wednesday evening. On Wednesday Tech Support told me everyone in country with the 612 was having the same problem, Engineers were working the issue and to leave the box plugged in. Like everone else, when I got home last night, mine had stopped rebooting.

My biggest concern is the the hard drive was spinning up every 30 sec or so for about 2 days. I am sure that cannot be good for it !

Protected By... spam firewall...And...