Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Problems With VIP 622 DVR Receivers

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   radio_davio

radio_davio

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:28 AM

In the last 10 months we've had to have our 622 replaced 6 times, that's right 6 times. Each one has had a unique problem, never a repeat. From completely dead, to intermittent lock-ups (a tech came out to verify this), to the remote not working (a tech came out to verify this) and now the latest VIP 622 drags down our phone lines (At&t tech came out to discover this).

Has anyone else had so many problems with VIP 622 replacements from Dish?

Dish has offered to upgrade us to the 722 for free, but only if I sign up for another 2 years. If the 722s have as many problems as the 622s, NO thanks!!!

Dish has also decided that we have suffered sufficiently to allow us to opt out of our current contract a year early.

I would like to hear about people's experiences with Dish, DVRs and such before I make a decision to move on to Direct TV or cable.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   icmoney

icmoney

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:31 AM

In the last 10 months we've had to have our 622 replaced 6 times, that's right 6 times. Each one has had a unique problem, never a repeat. From completely dead, to intermittent lock-ups (a tech came out to verify this), to the remote not working (a tech came out to verify this) and now the latest VIP 622 drags down our phone lines (At&t tech came out to discover this).

Has anyone else had so many problems with VIP 622 replacements from Dish?

Dish has offered to upgrade us to the 722 for free, but only if I sign up for another 2 years. If the 722s have as many problems as the 622s, NO thanks!!!

Dish has also decided that we have suffered sufficiently to allow us to opt out of our current contract a year early.

I would like to hear about people's experiences with Dish, DVRs and such before I make a decision to move on to Direct TV or cable.

I purchased my vip622 and placed in service Oct 2006. I have never had a problem.

#3 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:11 AM

I recently replaced my original ViP622 with a new (not refurb) ViP722. My 622 worked very well until I installed an external hard drive which would not work. I upgraded to a 722 and have been extremely satisfied with the performance.

On another note, do you have your receiver on a UPS? Having had so many problems, I could imagine it being your environment. Is everything grounded? I have all my electronic equipment on UPS's and have no problems with any computers, TV's or STB's.

Something to consider.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#4 OFFLINE   EXTACAMO

EXTACAMO

Godfather

• Registered
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:44 AM

I have had my leased 622 since July 06 and except for the OTA debacle with L4.46 I have not had any issues. Now watch I just jinxed myself. :lol:

#5 OFFLINE   Taco Lover

Taco Lover

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:59 AM

I've had a 622 since March 07. I now have a 722, but only because I had LNB problems, and the tech believes in replacing everything just in case. :) No problems.

Free 722 in exchange for another 2 years contract? No thanks. The only difference between the 622 and 722 is color and bigger HDD.

BTW, there's a sub-forum just for 622/722 support.

#6 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:45 AM

I have had my 622 for 12 months now. It works like a champ.

#7 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:53 AM

The only difference between the 622 and 722 is color and bigger HDD.

There are differences in the chipset.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#8 OFFLINE   Taco Lover

Taco Lover

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 11:54 AM

There are differences in the chipset.

What does that mean for the end-user, though?

#9 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:18 PM

Nothing :)

#10 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:19 PM

Downloading on-demand in HD?
EHD's that work?

#11 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:26 PM

Who says the 622 can't download on-demand in HD? My EHD has worked from day one without any problems.

#12 OFFLINE   Miner

Miner

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 03:07 PM

radio_davio,

My first 622 lasted 10 months before the HDMI connector went bad. E* sent a replacement with a bad HD. E* sent another that lasted a month before it went into spontaneous reboot. E* sent another that was DoA, then aother that worked for a bit then went into spontaneous reboot, then another. My current unit has worked well, until 4.49 firmware fouled my HDMI synch; but otherwise works fine. I suspect the E* refurb facility leaves a bit to be desired in its Q/A dept.

Perhaps a look in the D* side of the forum may reveal similar problems, maybe less. My brother has an HR-20 and the 622 is better (faster, more intuitive) in my opinion. I've seen the units from Comcast and both the D* and E* are way better.

Miner

#13 OFFLINE   nowandthen

nowandthen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 06:08 PM

The grass is not always greener on the other side. I'm a Directv sub. I'm over here to see what kind of problems you guys are having. Some things about the HR20 drive me nuts. Even when running correctly, no DVR is perfect, not Tivo, not Directv and not Dish. Pick your poison. :)

#14 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:42 AM

Who says the 622 can't download on-demand in HD? My EHD has worked from day one without any problems.

The ViP722 has the VC-1 chipset.
ViP622 can download SD VOD ONLY - ViP722 can download HD VOD.

I'm happy that you've not had problems with your EHD. A lot of us have.

#15 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:35 AM

The grass is not always greener on the other side. I'm a Directv sub. I'm over here to see what kind of problems you guys are having. Some things about the HR20 drive me nuts. Even when running correctly, no DVR is perfect, not Tivo, not Directv and not Dish. Pick your poison. :)

Point taken. Hard disk drives also do not travel especially well. Example, look how well and extensively a new hard disk drive is packed for shipment to you compared to the packaging accompanying your DVR. Sure not hard to figure out why so many are DOA out of the box.

We're on our 3rd VIP-722 in 5 months, in part because of technician's shotgun approach to an earlier problem with the 129 satellite that had nothing to do with the IRDs and replacing them also didn't fix the problem, but they got replaced anyway due to ignorance and lack of good problem-solving skills.

I'm about to call and request a replacement though but am starting to wonder whether I should ask for another 722 or have them bring me a 622. The feature differences aren't important to me, I just want something that will keep working.

#16 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 610 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:40 AM

I've had a few odd complete shutdowns, a no picture but sound problem that lasted for about a month off and on and of course some DVR things that go haywire but all in all After 1.5 years I still have the same 622 and have had a EHD hooked up since they became available. I also use HDMI since around last November with no trouble. Mine is also a lease FWIW and it records something pretty much every day of the week.

#17 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:54 AM

Perhaps a look in the D* side of the forum may reveal similar problems, maybe less. My brother has an HR-20 and the 622 is better (faster, more intuitive) in my opinion. I've seen the units from Comcast and both the D* and E* are way better.

Miner

Ditto, ditto and ditto. I've been full circle with D*, Comcast and now E* in that order. The Comcast stuff was garbage and their CS dept disgraceful.

Based on prior experiences I have to say our old 1st generation Sony TIVO was the most solid and dependable DVR, never-ever a problem with it, but alas wouldn't do HD and TIVO wouldn't transfer my lifetime sub without payment of another $200, else I'd have replaced it.

The E* 722 is unarguably next best feature-wise & ease of operation but sadly has not been very dependable.

I also am inclined to believe that what we're reading here & sharing w/others in these online forums is most likely just the tip of the iceberg. The fact of the matter is that most people are apathetic about issues they encounter with technology products because they don't understand them and so accept their undeserved punishment without complaining too loudly, at least not in the forums.
The Cable and Satellite TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating its customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it, garnering them the distinction of "Most Universally Despised" of all PAY-TV providers in the industry.

#18 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:03 AM

The E* 722 is unarguably next best feature-wise & ease of operation but sadly has not been very dependable.

The ViP722 is much more reliable than the ViP622's. Maybe the 622's have just been in the field longer and there are less 722's for people to complain about though. The same problems reported with the 622's don't seem, for the most part, to be reported about the 722.

#19 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:30 AM

I for one don't subscribe to the theories that abound regarding power issues unless the power issue is that it's intermittent, flickering on and off, etc.

Hard disk failures, on the other hand are common and can easily occur through vibration (someone walking across a wood floor where there's a cralwspace or basement or another floor below). Just using an el-cheapo HDD in the assembly of the DVR is invitation for premature trouble. This brings me back to my original diagnosis, that our DVR failures in the 622 and 722 point to a component quality problem more than a design or software problem.

HDD failure might be avoided by placing a layer of thick bubble-wrap under the DVR, or otherwise providing some type of shock-absorbing suspension under it, i.e., a thick typewriter pad or a couple keyboard wrist-rests.
The Cable and Satellite TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating its customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it, garnering them the distinction of "Most Universally Despised" of all PAY-TV providers in the industry.

#20 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:05 PM

Hard disk failures, on the other hand are common and can easily occur through vibration (someone walking across a wood floor where there's a cralwspace or basement or another floor below).

:rolleyes:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...