Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Problems With VIP 622 DVR Receivers

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 01:01 PM

The ViP722 has the VC-1 chipset.
ViP622 can download SD VOD ONLY - ViP722 can download HD VOD.

A previous Tech Chat said they were not going to use VC1 for HD downloads. Well, I did have a problem with my EHD... the power supply to it failed last week... waiting for a new one.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 02:40 PM

A previous Tech Chat said they were not going to use VC1 for HD downloads. Well, I did have a problem with my EHD... the power supply to it failed last week... waiting for a new one.

So are you saying that the ViP622 can download VOD in HD?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#23 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:07 PM

I have no idea... is there HD VOD available?

#24 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:16 AM

HDD failure might be avoided by placing a layer of thick bubble-wrap under the DVR, or otherwise providing some type of shock-absorbing suspension under it, i.e., a thick typewriter pad or a couple keyboard wrist-rests.

I wouldn't try this, you might end up insulating the receiver and causing heat problems. Heat might be causing the problems too.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#25 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:04 PM

I wouldn't try this, you might end up insulating the receiver and causing heat problems. Heat might be causing the problems too.

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. Still a couple of the jel-filled wrist wrests under the legs would be great shock absorbers. In making the recommendation I was thinking about the fellow who was a full-time RV'er and having repeat problems, getting replacement DVRs only to have the problems show up again. Back 20 years (or more) ago there was a command to PARK the hard drive on your computer before shutdown. Then drives got better and didn't need to be parked, so who knows.

In my own case I've not had the problem with signal output loss from my 722 in the past 3 or 4 days. Hoping the problem is gone and stays gone. I really hate having to call then wait all day for the guy to show up.
The Cable and Satellite TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating its customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it, garnering them the distinction of "Most Universally Despised" of all PAY-TV providers in the industry.

spam firewall