Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

VIP 211 Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   David King

David King

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:58 PM

ok, finally bought my hard drive. Got the WD My Book 750gb at newegg for $99.99. Did web chat to activate. It of course did not work. Went back on chat, they had to update it manually. Once they did that, worked perfectly.

Great deal. Way to go dish!!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:01 PM

HMM...

I did it by a chat and it fired up in less than 5 minutes.

Of course I had heard that you need to have the screen up telling you to call dish to activate EHD (others say not).

But CSR"s can and have done this activation.

No, it does not matter to have the activation screen up or not. That's an urban legend. The CSR I spoke to said what I needed was beyond her level of expertise, implying either she could not (or didn't know how to) enable the DVR option for a 211 amd so transferred me to 2nd level tech support, who also had never done it before but was willing to try it and eventually succeeded. It's a brand-new feature and several of the CSR's and Techs are simply not fully up to speed on the procedure.

Once you get someone on the other end of the phone (or chat) to do it right, you then (after activation) connect your EHD. It will recognize it as a USB device then next ask to format the drive.

The drive format process really doesn't take long. Upon completion of formatting, your receiver then performs a full reset, reacquires the transponders, then downloads the guide. Once the guide finishes downloading, you are then 'golden' and ready to begin DVR'ing.

Incidentally, once you perform the DVR conversion, your 211 now holds a full 9-day EPG instead of the original 44 hours.

As for the poster who commented that his WD My Book was noisey.... you may want to return it for another. Mine (750 GB) is quiet as a mouse. Either you have hyper-sensitive hearing or something's loose.

The Cable and Satellite TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating its customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it, garnering them the distinction of "Most Universally Despised" of all PAY-TV providers in the industry.

#163 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:33 PM

Yes, I can confirn - that activation took time without 499 message.

#164 OFFLINE   newsman

newsman

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 12:11 AM

As for the poster who commented that his WD My Book was noisey.... you may want to return it for another. Mine (750 GB) is quiet as a mouse. Either you have hyper-sensitive hearing or something's loose.

Agreed. My Maxtor is silent, as far as my ears can tell. I put a little electrical tape over the light, and it doesn't light up my room at night either.

#165 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 04:32 PM

Agreed. My Maxtor is silent, as far as my ears can tell. I put a little electrical tape over the light, and it doesn't light up my room at night either.

What model Maxtor did you get? Size? Cost?

#166 OFFLINE   newsman

newsman

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 11:45 PM

Maxtor Onetouch4 750gb at Costco. At the time it was $109. As of last week, it was $99. Newegg.com has it for $94.99 w/ free shipping.

#167 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 06:50 PM

Maxtor Onetouch4 750gb at Costco. At the time it was $109. As of last week, it was $99. Newegg.com has it for $94.99 w/ free shipping.

Thanks! I bought the 750 Western Digital (My Book Essential) for one of my 211s but would like to find something less expensive (and much smaller size) to put on the other. I may just buy a drive case (about $20) and stick am 80 or 120 gb drive in it. I really don't need even that much space as I only want it for the "Pause Live TV" feature on that set, but it's getting hard to find small (good quality) name brand drives.

#168 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 07:10 PM

Try Termaltake BlacX - easy to change disks and do not require a fan - VERY quiet.

#169 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:13 AM

Yes, I can confirn - that activation took time without 499 message.

I'm really curious as to why that would be? What would the onscreen 499 message have to do with speed of activation? The 499 message is only present with the drive connected to a receiver that has not yet been DVR-enabled (activated). If plugged in to one that HAS been DVR-enabled you get the usual USB detected message then the disk format screen pops up.

Activation is a simple matter of them "hitting your cam" with the activation bit (enabling that tier), similar to enabling a premium movie tier (or buying a PPV via online ordering). It happens instantly and does not even require rebooting the receiver. The receiver reboot comes after drive formatting is complete and the drive won't format until the receiver is DVR-enabled.

The Cable and Satellite TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating its customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it, garnering them the distinction of "Most Universally Despised" of all PAY-TV providers in the industry.

#170 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:24 PM

You forget HHK updates , it happen in NVRAM area. Check Counters screen.

#171 OFFLINE   Hunter844

Hunter844

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:39 PM

Got up this morning, got on online chat...dude activated it. I commented to him I was looking at the Seagate Freeagent 500gb and he said by far they've had more people calling with problems using that drive over others. So I opted for the WD Mybook 500gb from Walmart.

Got home and plugged that bad boy in...."please call to activate". No I don't think so...so I get back on the internets and the guy had me going in 15 minutes. The past two or three times I've had to contact Dish...I've went over online chat and it seems to be far better way to communicate with them and much quicker. For one you communicate your thoughts in print and the CSR can sit there for a few minutes to let that soak in if nothing else.

Either way it's nice to finally have some recording ability in HD...I've been using my HTPC for local stuff but now I can do satellite which makes it much nicer.

#172 OFFLINE   newsman

newsman

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:39 PM

So I opted for the WD Mybook 500gb from Walmart.

Did anyone cash in on the deal at Target for this hard drive? They were going for $77!:eek2: I don't think they're on sale anymore. I picked one up yesterday.:)

#173 OFFLINE   db130

db130

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:55 AM

I cobbled together a homebrew version of the Apricorn DVR Xpander by pairing an Apricorn EZ bus dts enlosure(usb+eSata) with a Hitachi deskstar 3.5" 750g 7200 rpm SATA drive. The Apricorn is a robust aluminum housing for heat dissipation plus it has a fan underneath the hard drive for additional cooling(an important feature with this hard drive in particular, because it is known to run hot). The fan in the enclosure runs quietly enough that the wife has not even commented on it. It also has a discrete on/off switch if i wanted to turn off the hard drive.

Both products were purchased with rebates and cashback promos during this past year and the net cost was around $90.

I would have included URLs for the products I have described, but I am a noob here so I must get the prerequisite number of posts first. i hope this helps someone.

#174 OFFLINE   Hunter844

Hunter844

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:36 PM

Did anyone cash in on the deal at Target for this hard drive? They were going for $77!:eek2: I don't think they're on sale anymore. I picked one up yesterday.:)

No, I never think to even look at Target. The stores around here are a joke for the most part. I like the WD though...seems to be a real smooth operator so far. After hearing some of the horror stories of people complaining about noise issues...I am pleased with this drive so far. The little blue flashing lights don't get on my nerves though I could see where some might be affected. I've got it sitting right next to the Cyberpower battery backup unit that has blue lights all over as well so it just blends right in.

A friend asked if I could take the drive and hook it to a computer and then burn shows to dvd. Not sure what the format is...I'm sure there is a way. Just wondering if anyone has tried doing that yet. I have a very limited desire to do that.

#175 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,593 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:22 PM

A friend asked if I could take the drive and hook it to a computer and then burn shows to dvd. Not sure what the format is...I'm sure there is a way. Just wondering if anyone has tried doing that yet. I have a very limited desire to do that.

The content is encrypted on the drive and can only be read by your receiver and other ViP-211s on your account.

#176 OFFLINE   newsman

newsman

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:51 PM

Walked into my local Costco this evening. They had the 750gb Maxtor Onetouch 4 Plus for $99.99. The Plus model adds a firewire400 in addition to the USB 2.0 port. Not a bad deal.

#177 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:02 PM

Walked into my local Costco this evening. They had the 750gb Maxtor Onetouch 4 Plus for $99.99. The Plus model adds a firewire400 in addition to the USB 2.0 port. Not a bad deal.

Newegg (dot com) still has the WD My Book Essential 750 GB on sale for $99.99 with no sales tax and free 3-day shipping. Here's the link: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136176

#178 OFFLINE   newsman

newsman

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 10:35 PM

Newegg (dot com) still has the WD My Book Essential 750 GB on sale for $99.99 with no sales tax and free 3-day shipping. Here's the link: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136176

Pretty good deal!

#179 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:57 PM

Now that this has been available for awhile, has anyone maxed out the timers? Is it still 10? Is it different if you've done the DVR conversion?
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#180 OFFLINE   GravelChan

GravelChan

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 07:33 AM

Now that this has been available for awhile, has anyone maxed out the timers? Is it still 10? Is it different if you've done the DVR conversion?

I do have the DVR conversion, I don't know how many timers are allowed but I checked and I have 17. I had kind of expected that the timers were
kept on the hard disk but I changed the hard disk and they were still there.

spam firewall