Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EHD problem...has any one else had an issue?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   poppin_fresh

poppin_fresh

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:05 PM

Ok... I know that was a smart azz comment, but I'm frustrated. Now that my locals are in HD, I burn up space on the internal at an amazing clip.

I just paid my $40 last night and was all excited to add my 400G WD Essentials drive to my 622. At first it seemed to work ok, but as soon as I started to move programs over to it, I got an error. The receiver then claimed that there was no drive attached to the USB port. Took some fiddling, but it came back only to do the same thing again.

Am I SOL? What are the odds of getting Dish to send me a 722 for nothing?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:05 PM

It's not likely to be your 622, as this has not been a reported issue.
Have you performed both a front-panel and power-cord reset, with your USB EHDD connected?
No guarantees, but with a newly installed drive, this would be a good place to begin.
ViP722 - ViP622² - ViP612 - ViP211 - 510
Slingbox SOLO
Dish 1000+ 110/118/119/129 - HD Locals/118w - DPP44²
EHDD - 750g/500g - Broadband via HomePlug
Sony 51" HDRPTV² - Dell 23" HD LCD - Sharp Aquos 17" HD LCD
OTA - Winegard HD9095P - 55 miles

#3 OFFLINE   poppin_fresh

poppin_fresh

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:14 PM

A little update.

I plugged the drive in today after being unplugged all day. The 622 recognized it I was able to transfer 2 HD episodes of the Sopranos before it errored and said there was "no multimedia device connected to the USB port". This is further than I got before.

#4 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:15 PM

A little update.

I plugged the drive in today after being unplugged all day. The 622 recognized it I was able to transfer 2 HD episodes of the Sopranos before it errored and said there was "no multimedia device connected to the USB port". This is further than I got before.

You have a ViP622 that will not work with any external hard drive. My 622 got the same error, as well as others. This is a problem with certain production runs of 622's that (IMO) Dish has no interest in resolving. I resolved the issue with my 622 by upgrading to a ViP722 which has worked very well.
How long have you been a customer?
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#5 OFFLINE   poppin_fresh

poppin_fresh

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:19 PM

I've been with dish since oct '06

#6 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:44 AM

You might give Dish a call to see what they would be willing to do. Contact Tech Support, not regular CSR's.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#7 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:45 AM

What did Technical Support do when you called?

#8 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 01:03 PM

You have a ViP622 that will not work with any external hard drive.

Please stop spreading these lies :rolleyes:

Here is a thread that has EHDs that work.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=95896

#9 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 02:35 PM

Please stop spreading these lies :rolleyes:

Here is a thread that has EHDs that work.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=95896

Unless he can find a hard drive that works with his 622, it ain't a lie.
Now point me to the thread that has ViP622's that work. :rolleyes:

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,915 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 May 2008 - 03:11 PM

I have a ViP622 that works with an external drive.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#11 OFFLINE   SingleAction

SingleAction

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:06 PM

I have a ViP622 that works with an external drive.

I had a 622, that worked with my external drive, until 449!

It will allow me to archive from the receiver, and restore from the external drive back to the receiver with out a problem. But I can not watch a show on the external drive, it locks up after a few mins. If I restore the same show back to the receiver, it works perfect.

I did not have this problem before 449.

#12 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:11 PM

Here are two more posts.
http://www.dbstalk.c...98&postcount=21
http://www.dbstalk.c...11&postcount=22

Your statement was that no EHD works on a 622. That is false and is thus a lie. :hurah:

#13 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:57 PM

Here are two more posts.
http://www.dbstalk.c...98&postcount=21
http://www.dbstalk.c...11&postcount=22

Your statement was that no EHD works on a 622. That is false and is thus a lie. :hurah:

Please point me to the post where I indicated that no EHD works on a 622.

#14 OFFLINE   poppin_fresh

poppin_fresh

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:55 PM

A little update....

I have been successful at moving some stuff over to the EHD. Sometimes it will error and say that there is no USB Drive connected to the DVR. If I wait until the DVR goes through a sleep cycle, it will see the drive again and I can copy to it. Sometimes it will error again, sometimes it wont.

#15 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:27 PM

Is there a way to turn the sleep mode off on that drive?

#16 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:24 PM

A little update....

I have been successful at moving some stuff over to the EHD. Sometimes it will error and say that there is no USB Drive connected to the DVR. If I wait until the DVR goes through a sleep cycle, it will see the drive again and I can copy to it. Sometimes it will error again, sometimes it wont.

Are you able to play back recordings from the EHD? Can you restore programs back to your DVR and play them back successfully?

#17 OFFLINE   invaliduser88

invaliduser88

Welcome to Torchwood

• Gold Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:02 PM

449 messed me up as well. Before that release USB drive worked like a charm.

If that's the case, Dish should be able to fix this problem in the software without us having to replace boxes.

I continue to archive to it without and issue and restore (usually takes multiple attempts) back to the internal drive to watch content.

Dish needs to recognize this as a problem and fix it.

#18 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,421 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:25 PM

A sample size of one is statistically invalid and should not be used to suggest that no drives work (especially since there has been at least one success story). Declaring that the problem is with the receiver is invalid as it assumes there can no issues with the drive itself.

Far too many of the issues posted with various setups here have been users trying to use drives that, for whatever reason, weren't recommended. Included in this sample have been drives larger than 750GB as well as RAIDs.

#19 OFFLINE   fredp

fredp

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:48 PM

I continue to archive to it without and issue and restore (usually takes multiple attempts) back to the internal drive to watch content.

I have a 622 along with a WD 500Gb Essentials EHD and can watch everything that I have recorded from the EHD without restoring back to the receiver. I think we are all running 4.49 by now. Did viewing from the EHD work prior to 4.49?

Never mind... I see you were working fine.

#20 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 03:59 PM

A sample size of one is statistically invalid and should not be used to suggest that no drives work (especially since there has been at least one success story). Declaring that the problem is with the receiver is invalid as it assumes there can no issues with the drive itself.

Far too many of the issues posted with various setups here have been users trying to use drives that, for whatever reason, weren't recommended. Included in this sample have been drives larger than 750GB as well as RAIDs.

Please point me to the post where I indicated that no hard drives work with the 622. I have never suggested such a thing.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...