Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

622 - Where'd my sound go?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   roland06

roland06

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:30 PM

Went to fire up a recording of Ratatouille for the umpteenth time today and - no sound. Tried a number of other recordings and am finding hit-or-miss on the audio portion, while video is fine across the board. This just occurred within the last 24 hours, i.e. watched the movie yesterday with no problems and now this. This not only upset my 21-month old but pissed me off pretty well as some of the recordings missing audio were PPV that I had yet to watch.

Running L4.49

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken Green

Ken Green

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:49 PM

Went to fire up a recording of Ratatouille for the umpteenth time today and - no sound. Tried a number of other recordings and am finding hit-or-miss on the audio portion, while video is fine across the board. This just occurred within the last 24 hours, i.e. watched the movie yesterday with no problems and now this. This not only upset my 21-month old but pissed me off pretty well as some of the recordings missing audio were PPV that I had yet to watch.

Running L4.49

Try a restart, and check your audio cables.
Most likely, the restart will resolve the auido issue.
Be certain your receiver is staying in Stand-By, so the overnight automatic update is running.
ViP722 - ViP622² - ViP612 - ViP211 - 510
Slingbox SOLO
Dish 1000+ 110/118/119/129 - HD Locals/118w - DPP44²
EHDD - 750g/500g - Broadband via HomePlug
Sony 51" HDRPTV² - Dell 23" HD LCD - Sharp Aquos 17" HD LCD
OTA - Winegard HD9095P - 55 miles

#3 OFFLINE   roland06

roland06

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:59 PM

Further on this - Checking this evening I have no audio on live broadcast for Starz, HBO, HDNMV, not bothering anymore trying to identify all the channels that have gone silent. Happiness fading further into the distance...

#4 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 06:40 AM

Further on this - Checking this evening I have no audio on live broadcast for Starz, HBO, HDNMV, not bothering anymore trying to identify all the channels that have gone silent. Happiness fading further into the distance...

What are the ones that do have sound? Maybe there's something in common with the way the audio is being received.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#5 OFFLINE   roland06

roland06

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:45 AM

Try a restart, and check your audio cables.
Most likely, the restart will resolve the auido issue.
Be certain your receiver is staying in Stand-By, so the overnight automatic update is running.

Restart was the first thing I did which netted me nothing. The last update is listed as 4/26/08. The real question is why would I lose for only select channels and recordings?

#6 OFFLINE   roland06

roland06

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:48 AM

What are the ones that do have sound? Maybe there's something in common with the way the audio is being received.

Most of the rest, i.e. IFC, AMC, MAX, etc. I called Dish last night, mostly to get a report into the queue. Besides the restart there wasn't much somone could do on a Saturday night, though no other similar reports were in nor any issues with the specific channels I mentioned. Very wierd...

#7 OFFLINE   roland06

roland06

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:58 AM

Further checking - all HD are without sound. In cases where there's a dual broadcast, on most channels the HD is silent, the regular broadcast with sound. Starz West is a case wherer neither has sound, as are a couple others.

#8 OFFLINE   tnsprin

tnsprin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:33 AM

Further checking - all HD are without sound. In cases where there's a dual broadcast, on most channels the HD is silent, the regular broadcast with sound. Starz West is a case wherer neither has sound, as are a couple others.

You didn't specify how you listen to sound. Perhaps you enabled DD only, and your audio systems cannot accept DD. Or perhaps it only can do PCM and you need to set to PCM only. If your systems can support it, it's best to leave it in dolby digital/PCM. (menu, 6, 7)
Ex Dish subscriber
Fios TV subscriber on 3/8/10

#9 OFFLINE   roland06

roland06

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 09:18 AM

You didn't specify how you listen to sound. Perhaps you enabled DD only, and your audio systems cannot accept DD. Or perhaps it only can do PCM and you need to set to PCM only. If your systems can support it, it's best to leave it in dolby digital/PCM. (menu, 6, 7)

If only it were that simple. It is set for dolby/PCM. Nothing in the setup changed between Friday and Saturday and the system has been functioning for over 1.5 years.

#10 OFFLINE   roland06

roland06

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 12:19 PM

And isn't it curious that this occured right around when Dish dumped their previous HD channels...

#11 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:56 PM

What type of audio hook up do you have? Is it Optical or RCA. IF optical check your RCA audio out and see if you are getting sound that way. I would be surprised that loss of sound is related to the HD channel lineup changing, but one never knows. Also... You said you did a reboot was this a hard or software reboots. If soft, I would try a hard (pull plug out). Next thing to try is the cable connections.

Given you are the only person reporting this issue at this time and you have your receiver set to DD/PCM, my gut would tell me either you box's audio went out, cable got pulled out, or AV Receivers configuration was changed.

I would start with a hard reboot if you have not done that, reconnect all your audio cables if you can and check your A/V receiver settings. If all pans out, then possible something inside your box has gone out though I can't explain why it works with non HD content. Hmmm Know that I think about it given you get SD audio that would strongly indicated your cabling is cool. What I would try as a test... Look for a SD channel that does DD out (HBO should be a good one) and see if you get audio. If you don't then we have ruled it down to DD as the issue.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#12 OFFLINE   roland06

roland06

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:24 PM

What type of audio hook up do you have? Is it Optical or RCA. IF optical check your RCA audio out and see if you are getting sound that way. I would be surprised that loss of sound is related to the HD channel lineup changing, but one never knows. Also... You said you did a reboot was this a hard or software reboots. If soft, I would try a hard (pull plug out). Next thing to try is the cable connections.

Given you are the only person reporting this issue at this time and you have your receiver set to DD/PCM, my gut would tell me either you box's audio went out, cable got pulled out, or AV Receivers configuration was changed.

I would start with a hard reboot if you have not done that, reconnect all your audio cables if you can and check your A/V receiver settings. If all pans out, then possible something inside your box has gone out though I can't explain why it works with non HD content. Hmmm Know that I think about it given you get SD audio that would strongly indicated your cabling is cool. What I would try as a test... Look for a SD channel that does DD out (HBO should be a good one) and see if you get audio. If you don't then we have ruled it down to DD as the issue.

Yeah, it was a power-button reset, I'll yank the power cord and see where that takes me. I work in the tech industry and know what most people say when you ask "And did you change anything?", and they always lie. Like I said previously, nothing has changed config-wise - that's why this is so confusing. Loss of DD processing - maybe - I'll go hunt for either live or recorded that has dolby.

#13 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:42 PM

And isn't it curious that this occured right around when Dish dumped their previous HD channels...

And it would seem equally curious that no one else has reported a similar problem here. :rolleyes:

#14 OFFLINE   roland06

roland06

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 03:26 PM

And it would seem equally curious that no one else has reported a similar problem here. :rolleyes:

As Foghorn Leghorn used to say - "That was, I say that was a joke son..."

Checking different channels and recordings, it looks like the dolby processing for the box is kaput. All the rest of the components that feed through the system still function w/full dolby, so there it is. Guess I'll be back on the phone with Dish tech support come Monday to see how they want to approach this.

#15 OFFLINE   Marriner

Marriner

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 03:37 PM

All HD programming is Dolby Digital. Most SD programming is PCM. I bet dollars to donuts that you have a Dolby digital issue with your AV receiver. Have you tried a dvd played through your AV receiver?
ViP722K with OTA tuner (Dual Mode SW L6.86), Western Digital 1 Tb USB hard drive, Sharp LC-52D64U HD TV, Sony V-333ES, Bose AM-10. ViP722K with OTA tuner (Dual Mode SW L6.86), Sling Adapter, Maxtor OneTouch 3 750 Gb hard drive,Vizio E422VA, Sharp 1-bit SD-HX500 surround.

#16 OFFLINE   Marriner

Marriner

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 03:38 PM

Missed your 4:26 post. That makes sense
ViP722K with OTA tuner (Dual Mode SW L6.86), Western Digital 1 Tb USB hard drive, Sharp LC-52D64U HD TV, Sony V-333ES, Bose AM-10. ViP722K with OTA tuner (Dual Mode SW L6.86), Sling Adapter, Maxtor OneTouch 3 750 Gb hard drive,Vizio E422VA, Sharp 1-bit SD-HX500 surround.

spam firewall