Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Media Share - Mediatomb Is Now Working

• Please log in to reply
636 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:26 PM

Great news for the Linux and Mac folks! Mediatomb is now working for photos, music, and video. Transcoding works great! Right now, the working code for the HR20 is not released and must be compiled from SVN. There is detailed documentation on how to do this. I am hoping to get some people to test it out and get the feedback back to the developer, who is willing to work with us (unlike Twonky) :)

Here are some links to get started:

http://mediatomb.cc/
http://mediatomb.cc/...ing:transcoding [A wiki with all of the HR2x configuration settings and scripts]
http://sourceforge.n...ects/mediatomb/ [Especially the Help Forum]
http://juliensimon.b...-mediatomb.html

Here is a How To in setting up MediaTomb to run in a VMWare Virtual Machine (pdf file):
http://www.dbstalk.c...83&d=1216165000

Do not download version 0.11.0 as it doesn't work with the HR20. You must compile from the latest SVN. Also, Mediatomb cannot be compiled for Windows. The developer has stated that this may happen in the future. This is definitely beta code right now and it will take some patience and time to get it built and configured. Also, if you are running Ubuntu Linux, it is highly recommended to compile a new ffmpeg because the version Ubuntu provides does not have support for h264 video or aac audio.

I would like to thank Master63a (I do not know his username here on DBSTalk) and Jin, the Mediatomb developer for all of the work that has been done to get Mediatomb working with the HR2x.

UPDATE: If you have a D-Link DNS-323 NAS, I have compiled MediaTomb for it. See this thread: http://forum.dsmg600...pic.php?id=3098

Edited by boilerjt, 04 April 2009 - 11:18 AM.
Added new Reference link (thanks jviter)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 01:41 PM

Here is what we have accomplished so far with Mediatomb:

Photos
- files displayed, no thumbnails yet.
- images larger than 640x480 transcoded to 640x480 (Hr2x canvas size) and EXIF data stripped in data stream. All pictures display properly on HR2x. Images maintain aspect ratio.

Audio
- mp3, wma, ogg, flac, m4a, and aac (non DRM) transcoded to wav (audio/wav). wav plays with no transcoding.
- there is a bug which causes slow playback (developer knows about it). Workaround is to play audio from another server after HR2x reset, then mediatomb will play audio OK. FIXED

Video
- mpeg4(divx, xvid) and wmv transcoded to mpeg2
- video letterboxed (either top/bottom or right/left) to 16:9 ratio. No annoying stretching!
- flv (flash video) to mpeg2
- success transcoding x264 HD (720p and 1080p quicktime trailers, transcoded to mpeg2-ts, 6000kbps CBR, AC3 audio)
- mkv with ac3 soundtrack transcodes fine, dts soundtrack out of sync. Transcoded to mpeg2-ts, 6000kbps CBR, AC3 audio.
- HD content streamed to the HR2x and played at 1920x1080 or 1280x720 :)
- Current transcode script converts audio to AC3 (only if source is not AC3) and muxes video and audio into an MPEG-2 transport stream

Online Content

- Online radio working!
- Online Video (YouTube) - now working! You select search parameters in the config file and MediaTomb pulls video links from YouTube. The title of the videos are in the Media Share menu and the video plays about as good as can be expected for a 320x240 resolution. I have created transcoding scripts (flv to mpeg2) for both ffmpeg and VLC.

- All transcoding is completely configurable from the command line and shell scripts!
- Menus are also configurable, but you need some javascript knowledge.
- Web page interface to configure shares

#3 OFFLINE   bhelton71

bhelton71

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

• Registered
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:06 PM

Cool - let the questioning commence

I'll fire the opening salvo

What is the transcode target for video - program stream or transport stream - and can you control the video/audio targets separately ? Basically my question is around getting vob material to transport stream and preserving the AC3 audio in the process.

And the one million dollar question : AVTransport (RWD, FFWD) ?

#4 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:41 PM

I have a 9 year old PC with 384M RAM on puppy linux where I have stored many videos..Can I use this to run MediaTomb? Do you know how powerful the PC has to be where I run this?

#5 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:58 PM

Cool - let the questioning commence

I'll fire the opening salvo

What is the transcode target for video - program stream or transport stream - and can you control the video/audio targets separately ? Basically my question is around getting vob material to transport stream and preserving the AC3 audio in the process.

And the one million dollar question : AVTransport (RWD, FFWD) ?

Since you have control of the ffmpeg command line, you could choose either ps (-f dvd) or ts (-f mpegts). The video and audio are controlled independently and you can change any parameter you wish. To preserve the audio stream in ffmpeg, just specify -acodec copy. You can also use VLC (or any other program) if you wish.

Unfortunately, no AV Transport :( We may need someone to learn the inner working of the ViiV software to get this working...

Keep Firing :)

#6 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:02 PM

I have a 9 year old PC with 384M RAM on puppy linux where I have stored many videos..Can I use this to run MediaTomb? Do you know how powerful the PC has to be where I run this?

Audio transcoding shouldn't be a problem, but video may be an issue. You pretty much have to transcode "on the fly" at 30 fps for it to work. If your videos are already mpeg2, no transcoding may be necessary and you should be OK. You can always try, especially since mediatomb is free :)

#7 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:01 PM

Hello, I used to have more time before to tinker with..but I would really appreciate if you gave specific links to download .tar.gz files etc, as well as detailed instructions for how to get this to work....

#8 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,638 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:35 PM

Great, we can add this to EyeConnect as Mac media share platforms.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=92536

#9 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:02 PM

Hello, I used to have more time before to tinker with..but I would really appreciate if you gave specific links to download .tar.gz files etc, as well as detailed instructions for how to get this to work....

The links are on the first post of this thread. Unfortunately, right now there is no quick and easy way to install and set up mediatomb and there won't be until the developer releases the next version. The current released version (0.11.0) will not work with the HR20. The only way to get it working now is to download the source code from SVN (instructions are in the mediatomb documentation on their website), make sure all dependencies are installed on your system, and build the binary. When the next version is officially released, the developer will have pre-compiled binaries for the major distros.

#10 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:12 PM

Great, we can add this to EyeConnect as Mac media share platforms.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=92536

From what I am seeing running this in linux, you will be impressed. I am hoping some Mac users will join in the testing and make sure all bugs are extinguished before the next release.

#11 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:46 PM

A few updates:

- the slow audio playback speed issue has been fixed.
- online audio streams are now working.
- I posted a new link to the MediaTomb wiki with the transcoding settings and scripts on the first post in this thread.

Also, right now, I am running this in a virtual machine running Ubuntu Hardy on my Vista box (using VMWare). So Windows users can play as well ;)

Is anyone trying to get MediaTomb running?

#12 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:55 PM

I was trying to get it to compile yesterday..am stuck at getting the various packages ( sqllite)

#13 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:28 PM

I was trying to get it to compile yesterday..am stuck at getting the various packages ( sqllite)

It took me awhile to get all of the dependancies installed. Which OS are you using? In Ubuntu Hardy, the sqlite package is sqlite and libsqlite0 (make sure you get the libraries for everything as well).

Try to use sqlite instead of mysql. Mediatomb automatically sets everything up for you with sqlite.

#14 OFFLINE   bmwguy80

bmwguy80

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:31 PM

Is anyone trying to get MediaTomb running?

I've actually been messing with it on and off on Ubuntu Hardy. It's good to know that I'll need to build from latest svn commits to get things working. My HR20 is able to see the 0.11.0 version but it won't play any movies.

I'm sure I'll feel motivated at some point this week to pull down the source and upgrade. Thanks for the info!

#15 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:51 PM

Which OS are you using?

Puppy linux

#16 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:46 PM

Puppy linux

I've never used puppy linux and can't be of much help. Have you tried the pre-compiled binaries at www.sqlite.org? If they don't work, you'll probably have to compile it.

#17 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 05:30 PM

Update: YouTube video now transcoded and streamed to the HR2x :) The search criteria are selectable from the configuration file and the YouTube video titles are displayed on the Media Share menu. You also control the refresh time to update the video list.

Also, it appears SopCast support is planned as well. I saw it referenced when building the most recent SVN build. This is free P2P internet TV.

#18 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:20 PM

I've never used puppy linux and can't be of much help. Have you tried the pre-compiled binaries at www.sqlite.org? If they don't work, you'll probably have to compile it.

yeah, I started with the precompiled..but the ./configure needs the header files..so I am getting the code. Thats where I am..unfortunately, haven't found time to go any further

#19 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:27 AM

Congratulations! I hadn't been able to compile MediaTomb for several weeks -- problems with a supporting library -- but I just made a more determined effort, and finally got through it. It didn't work real great, but it did work. Photos are shown as thumbnails, and mp3s are played at the wrong speed. I haven't had a chance to test videos yet.
Greg

#20 OFFLINE   Bitgod

Bitgod

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:08 AM

Hmmm, maybe this will be my weekend project. Been wanting to get mediatomb working on my freebsd box, I've just been using it for SMB for a few video devices that can do that.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...