Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Media Share - Mediatomb Is Now Working

• Please log in to reply
636 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 06:53 AM

Congratulations! I hadn't been able to compile MediaTomb for several weeks -- problems with a supporting library -- but I just made a more determined effort, and finally got through it. It didn't work real great, but it did work. Photos are shown as thumbnails, and mp3s are played at the wrong speed. I haven't had a chance to test videos yet.

Getting the supporting libraries installed is half of the battle...

We've got the slow speed MP3 thing figured out. Check out the transcoding wiki here:

http://mediatomb.cc/...ing:transcoding

The trick is transcoding to audio/wav like TVersity does. For video, make sure you build the latest SVN (1818) and all of my settings and scripts are on the wiki. I'll update the wiki with the youtube settings later today.

I haven't got photo thumbnails to work. I'd like to see what you are doing differently.

I was hoping you'd be back working on this as you're one of the pioneers on getting Mediatomb to work :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:06 AM

yeah, I started with the precompiled..but the ./configure needs the header files..so I am getting the code. Thats where I am..unfortunately, haven't found time to go any further

Just make sure you compile the libraries as this is what MediaTomb primarily needs when building it. I completely understand the time thing...this is a rare chance I have to devote some time to this :)

#23 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:08 AM

Hmmm, maybe this will be my weekend project. Been wanting to get mediatomb working on my freebsd box, I've just been using it for SMB for a few video devices that can do that.

Good Luck :) Make sure to share your findings so that other freebsd users can benefit.

#24 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:54 AM

I haven't got photo thumbnails to work. I'd like to see what you are doing differently.

I didn't mean to imply that photo thumbnails are working. Jpegs display as very small and at the center of the screen, one at a time in a slide show. It's my interpretation that I'm seeing thumbnails in place of a proper display.
Greg

#25 OFFLINE   oakwcj

oakwcj

Lower Echelon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:55 AM

Thanks for all the great information. I had previously installed the Fedora RPM, but couldn't get transcoding to work. I've now compiled mediatomb from SVN, but I can't find a way to specify that my network is on eth1 rather than eth0. The Fedora RPM sets up a daemon with a config file: /etc/mediatomb/conf. It has a line for specifying the network interface. How is this done when you're not using the daemon?

#26 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:23 AM

I didn't mean to imply that photo thumbnails are working. Jpegs display as very small and at the center of the screen, one at a time in a slide show. It's my interpretation that I'm seeing thumbnails in place of a proper display.

To me, it seems like the HR20 displaying photos at 640x480 and downscaling if the photos are at a higher resolution. It looks like if the photos are less than 640x480, it displays them on a 640x480 canvas, keeping the original size. I can see where this may be a problem on a smaller screen with small photos, but it doesn't bother me much on my 61" 1080p.

If you do want the photos enlarged, they can probably be transcoded using image magick.

Jin says that mediatomb supports photo thumbnails per the uPnP spec, but he says the HR20 does not follow the spec and thus thumbnails are not displayed. TVersity probably has a hack in place to display the thumbnails.

#27 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:29 AM

Thanks for all the great information. I had previously installed the Fedora RPM, but couldn't get transcoding to work. I've now compiled mediatomb from SVN, but I can't find a way to specify that my network is on eth1 rather than eth0. The Fedora RPM sets up a daemon with a config file: /etc/mediatomb/conf. It has a line for specifying the network interface. How is this done when you're not using the daemon?

I have not tried using the daemon yet, but it is on my list to autostart mediatomb using the daemon someday. Right now, I am starting mediatomb from the command line by simply tying mediatomb (or specify the complete path if needed). I also found this in the documentation for the command line:

--interface or -e

Interface to bind to, for example eth0, this can be specified instead of the ip address.

#28 OFFLINE   tuff bob

tuff bob

Icon

• Registered
  • 645 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:08 PM

wow, this is great. i did some informal hacking of mediatomb to make it work with the HR20. if this works it might be the 'killer app' that puts the HR20 over the top of the HR10 for the wife :lol:

#29 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,726 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:37 PM

I'll try it this weekend. I'm running Mac OS 10.5.2
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#30 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 01:49 PM

I'll try it this weekend. I'm running Mac OS 10.5.2

Great :) Some Mac users are needed to make sure it works as well as it does with Linux. Hopefully, you can find all of the libraries needed to build MediaTomb in repositories so you won't have to compile all of them. After you get the thing compiled, it's a breeze. I'll be around this weekend to help as much as I can

#31 OFFLINE   mikehome

mikehome

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 04:01 PM

Anyway somone could post a working compiled code of media tomb that will work with HR20's and PS3's? I have a hard time with all the coding

#32 OFFLINE   tuff bob

tuff bob

Icon

• Registered
  • 645 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:18 PM

I'll give it a shot on solaris. yeah, I know, who cares rigtht. :sure:

#33 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:26 PM

To me, it seems like the HR20 displaying photos at 640x480 and downscaling if the photos are at a higher resolution. It looks like if the photos are less than 640x480, it displays them on a 640x480 canvas, keeping the original size. I can see where this may be a problem on a smaller screen with small photos, but it doesn't bother me much on my 61" 1080p.

The Jpegs I have in my database are all considerably larger than 640x480. Whatever the HR20 is doing, it's obviously the wrong thing.

I've now revised my mediatomb config.xml and added scripts and programs as appropriate (I didn't have vlc on my system, so it took some time). Audio files are working fine, now. The video files I've tried are also working fine (though I haven't tried trick play).
Greg

#34 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:31 PM

I'll give it a shot on solaris. yeah, I know, who cares rigtht. :sure:

Let me know how it goes :) Here is a link I found how how to get mediatomb running on Solaris:

http://blogs.sun.com...tomb_on_solaris

Do not use the version 0.11.0 tar.gz that is referenced on this page. You have to get the latest from subversion. Just make sure subversion is installed and issue the following command:

svn co https://mediatomb.sv...mediatomb/trunk mediatomb

This will download the latest SVN code into a mediatomb directory (referenced from the directory you issued the command) At least this is the way it works in linux :)

Good Luck!

#35 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:38 PM

The Jpegs I have in my database are all considerably larger than 640x480. Whatever the HR20 is doing, it's obviously the wrong thing.

I've now revised my mediatomb config.xml and added scripts and programs as appropriate (I didn't have vlc on my system, so it took some time). Audio files are working fine, now. The video files I've tried are also working fine (though I haven't tried trick play).

It looks like you are on your way :) Trick play will not work and only works on ViiV :( The pause button does work, though. I've paused video for over 30 mins and the video resumes great for me :) One thing you can try is to delete all of your photos from the db using the web UI. Then import them back using the newest code, especially if you've had them in the same db for awhile.

#36 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:52 PM

Anyway somone could post a working compiled code of media tomb that will work with HR20's and PS3's? I have a hard time with all the coding

I would if I could. I'm lucky to get parts of it working on my own system. Putting together a generalized version that could work in other environments is just beyond me. Sorry.
Greg

#37 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:05 PM

Greg,

Before I forget, I just want to thank you for all of the effort you put into trying to get MediaTomb working. Your posts in the MediaTomb forum helped me a great deal in understanding how MediaTomb worked (and didn't work) with the HR2x and started me in the right direction. Jin has been so responsive these last two weeks and has incorporated fixes into the SVN that got the video working (forced HTTP chunking).

Thanks,
John

#38 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:12 PM

At this point, trying to create pre-compiled binaries is a waste of time. The binaries are somewhat distro dependent and you would have to install the dependencies anyway. When the next release (0.12.0) is out, the compiled program (and dependencies) will be packaged for all major distributions and install will be a breeze.

#39 OFFLINE   boilerjt

boilerjt

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:59 AM

I may have found something. I found a few images that seem to display thumbnails. I performed a wireshark capture and found something interesting:

Here is the picture that displays good:

GET /content/media/object_id/63669/res_id/0/ext/file.JPG HTTP/1.1
Host: 192.168.1.78
Date: Sat, May 24 08:08:07 2008
Accept: */*
User-Agent: DIRECTV DLNAPlayer

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
CONTENT-LENGTH: 834921
CONTENT-TYPE: image/jpeg
DATE: Sat, 24 May 2008 13:09:01 GMT
LAST-MODIFIED: Thu, 02 Jan 2003 08:23:46 GMT
SERVER: Linux/2.6.24-16-generic, UPnP/1.0, MediaTomb/0.11.0
CONNECTION: close
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="100_0445.JPG"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

Here is the picture that displays a thumbnail:

GET /content/media/object_id/63671/res_id/1/rct/EX_TH/ext/file.jpg HTTP/1.1
Host: 192.168.1.78
Date: Sat, May 24 08:21:15 2008
Accept: */*
User-Agent: DIRECTV DLNAPlayer

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
CONTENT-LENGTH: 6276
CONTENT-TYPE: image/jpeg
DATE: Sat, 24 May 2008 13:22:09 GMT
LAST-MODIFIED: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 04:07:09 GMT
SERVER: Linux/2.6.24-16-generic, UPnP/1.0, MediaTomb/0.11.0
CONNECTION: close

From what I see, mediatomb is indeed sending the thumbnail because the HR20 is requesting the thumbnail :nono2: I'm gonna pass this info to Jin and see what he makes of it.

#40 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:31 AM

I found a few images that seem to display thumbnails.

I added a new set of jpegs to my database, and they look just the same as I described earlier when displayed using the HR20. Each is shown in the middle of the screen with room for one image of the same size above it and one below it, and with room for two to the left and two to the right. So, there would be room on my 16:9 TV screen to show a 5 x 3 array of such images at once.
Greg

spam firewall